Possible to turn off shutter?

1. DannySihapanya

DannySihapanya Well-Known Member

Hi, I just moved here from the Kyocera rise.

I was wondering if its possible to silent the shutter?

I managed to do it on my rise by replacing the sound file to .odd or something.

If doing this task requires root then please move it to the root section.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

I used to wonder this myself. I never could find a way to turn it off. And I still am not sure how it's done. But I think root may be required. Any custom rom I've been on after rooting allows me to silence the shutter. Maybe I gave up on searching for the solution since I didn't need one anymore.

I will move this over to the root section for you and maybe someone knows the actual procedure if you are wanting more information on the specifics.
  3. ramjet73

ramjet73 Well-Known Member

Assuming you are on the stock ROM or another Sense 3.6 ROM you have two options, both of which require root:

1. Replace the HTCCamera.apk in the /system/app directory with the one in this post that has the sounds disabled, then set the permissions for that file to rw-r--r--.

2. Flash a modified camera like the one in this post that has option to disable the sounds.

ramjet73
    Brian706 likes this.
  4. xploPR

xploPR Well-Known Member Contributor

Ain't that illegal in some states?
  5. DannySihapanya

Thank you so much! I'll try and root my phone when I get home then follow the procedure from the post up there ^^
  6. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

Not that I'm aware of. Possibly in some countries but I have not heard of it being illegal in any US state.
  7. ramjet73

Maybe in South Korea. ;)

I guess it's pretty much the same as 2-way call recording. If it's illegal where you live either don't do it or risk dealing with the consequences.

ramjet73
  8. mrawesome22

mrawesome22 Well-Known Member

Gain root. Then /system/media/audio/ui

Delete camera_click.ogg

Reboot.
  9. ramjet73

Have you done that succesfully on a Sense 3.6 ROM with the stock camera?

That hasn't worked for some people which is why the .apk in the post I linked was modded.

I think HTC included the sound files in the .apk for ICS.

ramjet73
  10. mrawesome22

mrawesome22 Well-Known Member

Works everytime. I sometimes take pics of wildlife and can't have my phone giving away my presense.
  11. ramjet73

Well, he can try that first and if it works for him it should be easier than replacing the camera. Does that eliminate the focus sound too?

ramjet73
  12. gabe603

gabe603 Active Member

Use camera silencer from the play store, works like a charm and no need to be root, etc....
  13. DannySihapanya

I have that and it sucks. Truthfully.
  14. DannySihapanya

Successfully rooted and now I can creep on people!

Thanks for the help!

Oh, I replaced the HTCCamera app method. It works.