1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Possible to use Android/Galaxy S4 without a Google account

1. xscess

xscess New Member

I'm thinking to buy a Galaxy S4 on AT&T when it comes out in a week or so, but I would like to use it without connecting a Google account. Now I did find this thread( androidforums . com / android-applications / 103007-android-without-google-account-2.html#post4064019 ) on the subject but as it's quite old, thought to ask the same question to see if things have changed since then.

Questions I have:
    1, Can I use Outlook.com for emails, contacts, calendar (i think there's a SkyDrive app for Android already)
    2, Is there any alternate app store that have must have apps? Is CyanogenMod required to use alternative app store?
    3, Are there any alternative to Maps/GPS, as I've read you can't use the default ones without tying a Google account.

Also does anyone know about Galaxy S4 32GB for AT&T? Right now only 16GB version's there.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

1. You can connect your e-mail app to sync e-mails direct with outlook.com however I believe you will need to use some sort of sync software for calendars and contacts. I believe Samsung's Keis/Kies (not sure of the spelling) app probably does this however if it doesn't there are various other apps available.

2. There are lots of other 'stores' however Play probably has the most apps and is also probably the safest.

3. There are other mapping apps that you can install - some even have the advantage of storing the maps on the phone (this can take up quite a bit of space) so you don't have to have any connectivity to use them. You will need to pay for these apps though. And they're generally not a whole lot better than Google maps.

If you want to get the most from your phone, it is probably best to get a google account. Use a made up name and details if you don't want Google to know who they're gathering data on - you just won't be able to buy anything from Play.
    Crashdamage and xscess like this.
  3. xscess

xscess New Member

Does this apply to paid apps or applies free apps too? Do I have to enter credit card info in order to install free apps?

Many thanks for the reply.
  4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

You do not need a credit card for free apps. You do need a Google account to get anything from Play.
    xscess likes this.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Most people will tell you to NOT download apps from anywhere else apart from Google Play or Amazon AppStore. To get paid apps though, you need to enter credit card info. However you can get around this by using Visa gift cards.
    xscess likes this.
  6. xscess

xscess New Member

@ Crashdamage & chanchan05

Thanks guys.