Possible To Use Vibrant With Prepaid T-Mobile Plan?

Last Updated:

1. DavDroid

DavDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I purchased the Vibrant as an upgrade, but my wife hates it lol...so I've been keeping it and using it as a media player and the internet via WiFi, but what I wanted to know is if it would be possible to use a prepaid T-Mobile plan for this phone? I don't want to add it to my contract and would like to do it this way.

Thank you!!

Advertisement
  2. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

That's fine. Just be sure you download APNdroid from the market to disable network data, lest you want your prepaid balance to drain in a matter of minutes. WiFi will still work 100%.

DavDroid likes this.
  3. DavDroid

I just downloaded that app.!

Thanks for your help!!!

4. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

Since the Vibrant is made for T-Mobile, it has all the right frequencies so there should be no problem. If you don't plan on doing a lot of talking, I suggest using the Pay As You Go plan, rather than a subscription. I also suggest buying a $100 refill because it'll give you 1000 minutes that won't expire for a whole year and you'll automatically be given Gold Reward status. I bought a $100 refill 8 months ago and I still have over $10 remaining. If I didn't do so much texting when I went to Canada or buy web daypasses, I'd have a lot more money left on my balance.

You will not automatically have access to the internet with a prepaid account so there is no need to disable data access unless you want to save on battery power. If you want data services with your prepaid account T-Mo offers several subscriptions, as well as a daypass for $1.49 which gives you unlimited data access for 24 hours.

T-Mobile Prepaid Plans

DavDroid likes this.
  5. DavDroid

Well, at least I have that app now just in case I ever did upgrade for my prepaid plan to have some internet. I will keep in mind what you said about the $100 refill. I don't talk much and will only be using the phone for emergencies, so that should work perfectly.

Thank you!!!

6. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Well-Known Member

Great info guys. I had a question relating to this.
    I have a vibrant and never use my data. So I am thinking about paying the $200 ETF to get out of my contract to save money over the long run with EM+ (had contract for 6 months) I text a lot, but don't talk. So I will look into the prepaid too.
    Will EM+ try to steel internet and cost me extra?
    What is the difference between the monthly plans and the EM+ plans?
    Edit: After looking over my past bills, looks like the 1500 prepaid is best for me. (I even got myself a $100 credit from when they over charged me and I didn't notice)
    Question: Picture messages use data, so if I turn off my data with the app, will the picture messages come up when I get in wifi and cost 1 point?

7. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

If all you do is text, T-Mobile has a great prepaid plan for you. They offer unlimited texting for $15 per month, calls are 10