• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Possible to write in C++?

I understand that Android's SDK is in Java but unfortuneltly I'm not familiar with Java, yet. I was wondering if it were possible to write apps for Android in C++ and have them converted afterwards?

Android development is Java based, but there's Native Development Kit, Android NDK | Android Developers, which should be used for critical portions of the applications only. I guess you could develop the whole application in NDK, but that would probably be cumbersome and time consuming.

Upvote 0
As a C and C++ programmer, transitioning to JAVA is pretty easy. JAVA is extremely "class" oriented so you're OOP in C++ needs to be pretty good.

As a long time programmer with about 10 languages under my belt, I've found going from language to language is really just a syntax change. Basic programming skills (logic, program flow, program design, modular programming, code reuse) are basic skills learned in your first 2 years of coding (hopefully) :)

Upvote 0
I am a translator, between Turkish and English. I was translating a text about java programming. The person I translate for liked it and told me that there might be more to come. So, since I have my android phone, I thought I might give it a go, maybe I can program something :)

So, Android programs are written in Java?
And if so, are there any differences?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
So, if i want to program an application which can work in Windows or Linux or Android, Java is where I am going, but still have questions.
I studied C# for fun a little. So I know there are similarities and differences between c and c#. Same goes for java and java# too.
So, which one to go? Java or Java #? And if i start with Java, is it easy to go on with Java #? Or go with both of them?
I thank you for your kind answers.

Upvote 0
Well, there are some differences, look at this link to see some of the differences in the languages.

And i would really recommend you to program in java, since the top level tools in android is also programmed in java it makes it so much easier to program own apps.

I meant if there are differences between Java and Android development.
Actually, they say if you know C++ or C#, you are halfway of Java, but I will start from beginning. So it doesn't matter for me.
But thank you.
If only someone replies my questions again :)

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, you don't use the JDK (Java Development Kit) for android programming. You use the Android SDK. Although the Android SDK ccontains a very very small section of the JDK, most of it is entirely new and not related to Java in any way. Because of this, Applictaion written in java for PC/Mac/Linux/Whatever else will NOT work on android without some conversion or the use of a J2ME runner app. Same thing goes for the reverse. Application written using the Android SDK will not run on anything except the Android OS.

Upvote 0
I meant if there are differences between Java and Android development.
Actually, they say if you know C++ or C#, you are halfway of Java, but I will start from beginning. So it doesn't matter for me.
But thank you.
If only someone replies my questions again :)

I am still waiting :)

Just to clarify, you don't use the JDK (Java Development Kit) for android programming. You use the Android SDK. Although the Android SDK ccontains a very very small section of the JDK, most of it is entirely new and not related to Java in any way. Because of this, Applictaion written in java for PC/Mac/Linux/Whatever else will NOT work on android without some conversion or the use of a J2ME runner app. Same thing goes for the reverse. Application written using the Android SDK will not run on anything except the Android OS.

Yes, I am aware of that. But I mean if there are syntax differences. This is what is important to me. If there are big differences, I'd go with another language, perhaps C# and never turn back. But if there are little or no differences, then I'll go with Java.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones