• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible Virus?

mwbarton55

Lurker
Oct 19, 2012
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum so I'm not sure this is being posted in the right place, but I have a weird one. I used my browser to download a file from the website televisiontunes.com that I wanted to turn into a ringtone. I got a message that read "this file type is not supported" so I deleted it. The problem that I'm now having is that all of my other audio files go silent sometime in the early morning hours and remain that way through about 10:30-11:00, I haven't pinned down the exact times yet that they don't work and return to working form. This is weird, whatever virus or application I have is actually silencing my audio files and not allowing me to use them for anything (ringtones, alarms, notifications etc.). On alarm clock extreme, the setting in the application was actually changed to "silent" under the audio file selection, then changed back to the song I had selected later in the day, obviously the alarm did not work. I uninstalled the app, downloaded a different alarm clock and this one simply greys out the audio file selection. Anybody ever heard of anything like this? I have a droid X2 and used the basic browser to download files, I've downloaded files from that site before with no problems and the site actually works fine with Windows Explorer on a PC. I have run virus scans with Antivirus Free and with Kaspersky while having my device connected to my laptop and neither program finds anything. I searched the directories myself with windows explorer and couldn't find anything that really looked suspicious, but I'm not sure I'd know it if I saw a suspicious file anyway, I'm not that technical. I've reached the limit of my expertise and would welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Secondly, welcome to the forum from me as well :)

To me it sounds like the phone is being set silent at certain times rather than the sound files being changed. So what other applications have you installed? There are a number of apps that can change the sound settings or audio profile in a timed manner, so anything concerned with audio settings, profiles, or automation could be a possible cause. I don't know that phone so can't say whether it comes with such capabilities pre-installed.

For virus scans I'm not sure about "while connected to a PC". A Windows AV program won't detect Android malware, if that is what you tried (apologies if not, it's just a possible reading of your post so I wanted to be sure). I'd suggest downloading an android av such as avast from the Play Store and running that on your phone to be sure.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I did try the battery solution, and that did not work. I tried both an Anti Virus that I downloaded from Google Play and Kaspersky from my laptop (just ran a scan on the external device, figured it was worth a shot) I didn't download any other apps around the time this started. It's very weird, because right now all my audio works, but for a few hours in the morning nothing works, meaning I can't play music, can't hear when someone calls, alarms and notifications don't work, nothing.

Upvote 0
Actually if Kaspersky found anything it would be a thread to your laptop rather than your phone - the systems are completely different and incompatible.

My question was really whether you had any app installed that could do this - potentially it could have been there for a while and the settings changed.

When it happens, can you turn the ringer/notifications/media sounds on via your settings?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones