• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Possible with Rooted Droid?

michaelearth

Nov 5, 2009
I am thinking of rooting my Motorola Droid for the fact that Motorola may have under clocked the processor. So I would like to overclock the processor to a higher but safe clock speed.

Now is this possible? Or is this dumb to do?

Also, what other cool things can you do with a rooted Droid besides tethering?

Thanks!!!

I read a post by someone who overclocked to 600mhz, and had a lot of problems. Tons of FC's and horrid battery life...not sure if he was doing it properly or not though. However, so far I've never ran into a situation on my droid where I said, "I with this processor was faster".
The biggest benefit of rooting right now is being able to flash 2.1 flan onto the phone...but the rest of us non-roots with get that as an update in the next couple months.

Upvote 0
My next stunt will be 2.1, but what I have done so far has been fun. Removing stock apps, custom boot animation, and playing with custom graphics and color schemes have made rooting all worth it. Meanwhile, I'm learning some Linux. Woohoo! :cool:

I haven't heard any success stories about over-clocking yet. I don't feel the need ... but wouldn't blame anyone for trying.

Upvote 0
I am thinking of rooting my Motorola Droid for the fact that Motorola may have under clocked the processor. So I would like to overclock the processor to a higher but safe clock speed.

Now is this possible? Or is this dumb to do?

Also, what other cool things can you do with a rooted Droid besides tethering?

Thanks!!!

Yes, it is a 600mhz CPU which has been underclocked.

No, it is not currently possible. It will be, though. We just have to wait for ROMs with custom kernals to be released.

The rumor I have heard is that @600mhz, you are looking at about a 1 year life span for your phone.

Other cool things? Everything. My addiction is changing the PNG images so all of the icons, bars, and other objects look very different from everyone elses.

Tethering seems to always be the main focus of those asking about root, but I have never understood it. You can tether without rooting. For me, it is entirely about the customization of the user interface.

Upvote 0
My next stunt will be 2.1, but what I have done so far has been fun. Removing stock apps, custom boot animation, and playing with custom graphics and color schemes have made rooting all worth it. Meanwhile, I'm learning some Linux. Woohoo! :cool:

I haven't heard any success stories about over-clocking yet. I don't feel the need ... but wouldn't blame anyone for trying.

Messenger13, could you tell me how you changed the boot animation? I have the Nexus boot animation I'm dying to try out, but Root Explorer isn't working on 2.1 yet (check the market, the dev can't fix it until after holidays).

Can I do it without Root Explorer, from the adb shell on my computer? Or the terminal emulator on my rooted Droid??

Upvote 0

No, it is not currently possible. It will be, though. We just have to wait for ROMs with custom kernals to be released.

The rumor I have heard is that @600mhz, you are looking at about a 1 year life span for your phone.

Other cool things? Everything. My addiction is changing the PNG images so all of the icons, bars, and other objects look very different from everyone elses.

Tethering seems to always be the main focus of those asking about root, but I have never understood it. You can tether without rooting. For me, it is entirely about the customization of the user interface.

If you dynamically clock the CPU, it will be fine. Leaving it a 600mhz for most chips would not be good. I have the N900 and uses the same chip. Battery performs fine and the N900 is stable- even when playing Duke Nukem and Quake 3. Both play smooth with sound, but max out the 3430 to 600 mhz.

Upvote 0

Tethering was the only reason I rooted initially, because you can do wifi tethering. Now I can broadcast wifi to multiple computers. I had been using pdanet, but its 30.00 after the trial period, and you can only connect 1 comp at a time. This was cumbersome for me because I frequently use my desktop and laptop simultaneously.

Back to the OP, is there any particular reason you want to overclock? Don't get me wrong, it would be fun to play around with, but unless you plan on going above the 600 mhz proc rating, you are only going to gain 50 mhz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones