Possibly moving from Kraken to invisibleSHIELD w/ Azmer caseTips

Last Updated:

1. Doodlebam

Doodlebam New Member

I recently purchased the DX2 and was given a free case from what the Verizon store had. I ended up choosing the Trident Kraken, and it's been OK. I like that the screen protector is built in and that the case feels rugged, but I dislike HOW FRICKIN HUGE the thing is. The rubber skin makes putting the phone into my pocket and pulling it out nearly impossible. This wouldn't be so bad, but I've also seen considerable color distortion on the screen that appears to be caused by the plastic sticking to the phone's screen due to trapped moisture.

SO, I've decided to move to smaller case with a screen protector. After seen some good reviews on the Azmer Leather Snap On Case (Amazon.com: Amzer Limited Edition Elite Leather Snap On Hard Case for Motorola Droid X MB810 - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories), I purchased that and hope to use it in conjunction with a screen protector. I've heard great things about ZAGG invisibleSHIELD and considered getting it for the screen.

I've heard horror stories about the invisibleSHIELD being too thick (0.2mm) for most snap on cases and was wondering if anybody had this problem. Also, has anyone had experience with invisibleSHIELD in general, or be able to recommend a quality screen protector to use with snap on cases?

Alternatively, if anyone has had experience with the Kraken and how to keep it from getting those weird oil-like distortions, that would at least help in the short term.

2. Vushi

Vushi Member

No reason to put anything over the gorilla glass...really. Protective cases add size...end of story. I use an Otterbox. I don't have discoloration on the screen. If you want protection and some water resistance there is no way around bulk. Just get the Anzer.
  3. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member

Yes, you do need a screen protector. Sand in your pocket WILL scratch gorilla glass over time. Get a couple of packs of Steinheil crystal clear protectors. Invisible shield sucks in my experience. It screws up the clarity of the screen and I'm not a fan of the draggy feel. Steinheil is where it's at.

The phone is too big for a case though, IMO.
  4. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Well-Known Member

really? I've used a DX without a protector for over a year without any problems with scratches on the screen.
  5. Vushi

Vushi Member

lol...do not don't a screen protector...you need to clean out your pockets. I carried a Dare for 3 years in my pocket and not one scratch on it. My pockets were full of coins and probably some dirt. Screen protectors are for people who want screen protectors. Period. Some folks simply like the idea like putting a off-road lights on their trucks while living in NYC
  6. Doyer

Doyer Well-Known Member

^^This has been my experience so far with smartphones.

I had a G1 that eventually had slight scuff marks on the screen and it actually cracked in my pocket; According to Corning's website, it's Gorilla Glass (I'm guessing it was an early version and not as tough as what's in use today).

I had a G2 that went naked and only got scratched due to a nasty drop and slide in my driveway. It was really almost like a throw. Messed up the aluminum bezel pretty good and got a 3/4 in. scratch in the lower right corner. No scratches from pockets though.

Now I have a Sensation 4G with a Case but no screen protector and the thing is always in my pocket on the go. No scratches so far.

I will not buy a phone without Gorilla Glass, unless it's found to be a superior product. While it won't always protect from an egregious act of carelessness, like a drop and slide, it's kept my phone's screens scratch free for me in normal use.
  7. rustymcbain

rustymcbain Well-Known Member

Had my x2 for a few weeks and have to report I have several scratches. Gorilla glass or not wish I had used a screen protector. Never had an issue with any other moto droids. I've had them all. Never dropped rides in my pocket.