Post 2.2 - 3G Hotspot (non-rooted). Any Luck?

Last Updated:

1. fillsee226

fillsee226 New Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the Droid X from Verizon with the intent of having 3G mobile hotspot. I paid for the service and have had it about a month and it consistently dropped after 5 min. I patiently waited as I heard on several forums that 2.2 would fix. Well it has not. After a replaced phone and several hour on the support line with both Verizon and Moto each blaming the other, I still have a inconsistent working hotspot. Anyone had better luck on a solution? Does anyone know if the Droid Incredible had better luck now that it has 2.2 and a hotspot? I'm totally frustrated.

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

If it was me I would just root the phone and then use one of the wifi tether apps for free.

3. mchung53

mchung53 Well-Known Member

if you don't want to root you can also use pdanet

4. Android Al

Android Al Active Member

Gotta agree with Airmaxx23 ....

I rooted and use Wireless Tether, no problems whatsoever.

I never get disconnects, even when I'm tethering for hours.

5. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a bad phone to me. The 3G mobile hotspot worked fine for me on 2.1 for hours at a time. Nothing has changed between 2.1 and 2.2 that would make a difference to the mobile hotspot functionality.

Either have the service removed from your phone and root so you can use free tethering, or take it back to wherever you got it from and demand they fix it.

6. xlch59

xlch59 Member

The 3G hot spot never worked for more then 10 minutes for me. I am running the leaked 2.3.15 still it did not work. Waited to see if the OTA would fixed it and it did not. There is a long thread on the Moto forums about this. I dropped the service and am using Wireless tether. I would like to be able to connect more then one device at a time. this was a big factor in buying the X. When I called Verizon they knew about this issue and just credited my account.

7. cornflwr33

cornflwr33 Well-Known Member

yea so after much trial.. i got pdanet to work. so i'm happy not to have to pay for hotspot service. :) And i'm not rooted (afraid to root)....