Post 2.2 factory reset: Backup Assistant?Support

Last Updated:

1. Markus729

Markus729 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have just been updated to Froyo this morning, and a LOT of threads talk about backing up your phone and doing a factory reset.

A Verizon tech installed Backup Assistant onto my phone when he transferred my old contacts to my Incredible, and I see it running in the background all the time. Is this enough for my 'backup' when i do a factory reset?

I don't see an actual app or anything. Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisement
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Google will sync your contacts (as long as you saved them as google contacts) and appbrain will save your app list. I don't have much faith in VZW's backup assistant. I think it actually costs to use back-up assistant??

3. Markus729

The tech at Verizon and the website, says its FREE with the service. So I assume Appbrain is an, um, app I need to get at the Market? Duh?

ALSO, you only mention contacts and apps. What about camera images/photos/videos?

4. SpinDisc

SpinDisc Member

Yes, Backup Assistant is free. And yes, Appbrain App Market can be downloaded from the Android Market.

Follow this guide to back-up your contacts/apps/texts: Back-up (Almost) Everything Before RUU/Factory Reset

As for camera images/photos/videos, check to see if they're saved to your SD card (open an image/photo/video > Menu > More > Details). If so, they're protected from a factory reset. If not, then you'll need something like Astro (also available in the Market), and move them to your SD card.

Hope this helps.
    Spin

Markus729 likes this.
  5. Markus729

YES, THANK YOU for your link and post. This rocks. :p I happened across it earlier and printed and will follow it. I downloaded AppBrain, got it all set up and I'm good to go. :)

6. NightAngel79

Only problem i see with that is with astro i cant access the pictures on my internal memory, can't see the dcim folder at all. If that is the case for the OP then you will have to use PC to transfer them.

7. Markus729

I downloaded Astro and while it is amazing to see all the directories, I've looked in what seems every one, and I can't see where my photos are located. Any codebreaking I need to decipher?

I see the detail of one of my more recent photos, and the filepath says: \100MEDIA, but when i search this path on Astro, it comes up with nothing...:confused:

8. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

DCIM.

As for backing up, try MyBackUp, also available in the Market. That's by far my favorite utility for backing up everything, including bookmarks, homescreen, dictionary, alarms, etc. So useful I actually paid for it! :eek:

Markus729 likes this.
  9. Markus729

BINGO. I had found a DCIM but it was empty (on the SDCard), but I found another DCIM in the /emmc/DCIM/100MEDIA and found them all. So copied the whole DCIM folder on the phone, and pasted to the SDcard and now everything is backed up and I'm ready for a factory reset.

BTW, this forum rocks!!!

THANKS!!

10. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

Happy to help, enjoy the new phone and FroYo!

11. NightAngel79

Been looking for where those have been hiding!!
    I feel dumb now, lol
    Your right, this forum does rock!!!!!