1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Post-Apocalyptic

1. bloodhawk771

bloodhawk771 Active Member

So I have just finished reading 'Metro 2033' which was an awesome post-apocalyptic book based in Russia after a nuclear war. Super Good!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other kind of Post-Apocalyptic book or even a graphic novel.

And I am not looking for the Walking Dead I already read the entire graphic novel series.

I am also starting the 'Roadside Picnic' because I heard Stalker the game was based off of it.

But anyway thanks in advance guys

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

You might want to take a look at The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It is pretty bleak and even though it's just a book, there's some pretty harsh moments in it.

I never got round to finishing Metro 2033, it was an awesome book though and I'll need to finish it at some point.
  3. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

The Walking Dead ain't done yet.

Anyway, I saw the movie "The Postman", and I hear its based on a novel? The movie was decent IMO, so I guess the book should be.
  5. Angus19

Angus19 Active Member

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for (most of it describes the events leading up to the apocalypse) but Oryx and Craik (check the spelling on that one) by Margaret Atwood is really good.
  6. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

+1 for The Road
    Robopacalypse by Daniel H Wilson
    The Stand- Stephen King
    Cell-Stephen King
  7. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

Robopacalypse is a great book, definitely worth checking out.
  8. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Swan Song by Robert McCammon.
  9. DWasilew

DWasilew Well-Known Member

Hater series and/or Autumn series by David Moody.
  10. JJLuchiano

JJLuchiano Member

off the top of my head I'd say Hunger Games. It was actually a decent book for the age group it was written towards but as an adult I actually enjoyed it. I haven't read the 2nd book yet in the trilogy.
  11. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

For PA and dystopian novels, sometimes older is better.

PA:
    Earth Abides -George Stewart
    Alas, Babylon -Pat Frank
    The Postman -David Brin
    A Canticle for Liebowitz- Walter Miller, Jr.
    and for a real challenge, Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban

Dystopian:

Space Merchants- Frederick Pohl and CM Kornbluth
    1984- George Orwell
    The Sheep Look Up - John Brunner

And Russian authors seem to have a great ear for PA/Dystopia. I loved Metro 2033 and Roadside Picnic. Going to watch Tarkovsky's Stalker movie this w/e. It is free to view in 2 parts on youtube. I also hope to read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin soon. It is supposed to be one that greatly influenced Huxley's Brave New World and Orwell's 1984.

check out goodreads.com if you haven't yet. They have a wealth of books and reviews on them. You can search by genre, join a group (check out the Apocalypse Whenever group), etc.
  12. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't know whether I'd have called "the sheep look up" dystopian, but love that book.

Try "Make Room, Make Room" by Harry Harrison - best known for light stuff like Deathworld or the Stainless Steel Rat, but a seriously bleak novel about overpopulation.
  13. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

The Sheep Look Up is definitely dystopian. It does sort of end in a big bang, but not an earth-demolishing/human-ending one. It deals with the destruction of the environment and increasing corporatism (pollution, acid rain, etc) and its effects (climate change, earthquakes, wars, birth defects, extinction of animal species, civil unrest, gov't corruption, religious nuts) mostly told from the point of view of what is happening in the U.S. What would you call it if not dystopian?

and Make Room, Make Room, the book the movie Soylent Green was based upon, right? Growing up, I had a few nightmares about that movie.
  14. glremovals24

glremovals24 New Member

Who is the author?
  15. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Read the post right above the one you quoted lol.

Welcome to the forums!