• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Here if You Have Received The Update

Just to provide some feedback:

I am now I897UCJH7.

The real GPS lock still does not work right, but at least the triangulation is working correctly now. I will have to test this when I go home this afternoon to see if there is a real improvement or not. I will probably still have to stick to using my BT359 bluetooth GPS for 5 meter locks.

Upvote 0
Had stock firmware. Rooted. No other modifications. Had checked for update yesterday but nothing. Moved date on the phone to tomorrow since I had 5 hours left before I could check again and checked it manually. Found the update.

Updated, confirmed baseband to JH7. GPS still sucks inside the building at my work, won't know about outside till later.

Edit: Update had said it failed but did have updated baseband number but don't have QuickOffice.

Edit2: Moved the date forward 2 days to check again, now it's downloading the update again.

Edit3: Went to update it, got stuck on preparing, finally said 'update is failed' and rebooted.

Upvote 0
This is great news, I'm about an hour away from being able to check again. Also, if anyone has come across this scenario, can you post if you had QuickOffice installed prior to the update? If so, did the update work ok or did it fail? I have QuickOffice at the moment and I'm thinking of removing it before applying the update. Would like to hear from you guys.

Upvote 0
Non rooted, stock firmware. Phone is restored with odin, no root running 2.1 u1 .
Set the clock past the 24 hour window and it took a minute to download the file. Asked me if I wanted to continue with the update, I selected yes, then the progress bar started and got to 50% before it said update failed in small letters under the bar. The phone then restarted and.... I got a message that the update was not completed and not applied to the phone.

Then it showed connecting to the dm server... and device scanning went on for a bit. Checked and showed the stock fw.

Tried again by setting the date a day ahead and turning off auto time check. Did the manual sw check and it downloaded again. Once done, it asked me if I wanted to proceed or postpone. Once again, got the update is failed at 50%.

The third time: let the phone initiate the download itself (after setting the clock ahead another 24 hours). Failed at 50% again.

Upvote 0
wow, i cant believe it! i received no sms from at&t but checked for and was able to download the update. my captivate is completely stock, applying the update now and will edit my post with GPS performance which is the first thing i'm going to check...

i did not remove my sim card before installing

boot up after installing the update is taking quite a but longer than normal, but it did restart

upon restarting i had a "congratulations" message that the update was successful

i can verify that this is the I897ICJH7 firmware

using gps test my phone was able to find 2, then 4, then 8 satellites in about 30 seconds, then lock onto 4 of them in about another 30 seconds. signal strengths did fluctuate, but remained locked and gave me an accuracy reading of 16 feet.

firing up google maps, i got a gps lock in under a minute, with a slight location correction in another 30 seconds (the triangle jumped to be more accurate to where i was) and i could tell it was slightly off...16-25 feet maybe? but i walked around my block and the gps stayed locked and oriented correctly the entire time. moving indoors caused the gps lock to fall off. welcome to the wonderful world of working gps - it's been a long time coming.

i hope other people can verify what i am saying and it's not a fluke. as ridiculous as that sounds you never know.

Upvote 0
Is everyone removing the SIMM as instructed by AT&T? Sounds like people are just checking for it and letting it update without any SIMM removal.

Don't know how this is supposed to work. I downloaded the update, put it on postpone, then shut down. Took out the SIM card and tried to go to software update to resume the update but it's giving me the error 'DM initialization is not ready. Check Network or SIM card.'

Upvote 0
This is great news, I'm about an hour away from being able to check again. Also, if anyone has come across this scenario, can you post if you had QuickOffice installed prior to the update? If so, did the update work ok or did it fail? I have QuickOffice at the moment and I'm thinking of removing it before applying the update. Would like to hear from you guys.

I had the QuickOffice installed prior to update. I did not remove it before updating. All went fine

Upvote 0
I was stock except for LbSTestMode changes made for "GPS Fix". I was able to access this menu to change setting back to original before downloading the update.

After update I tried accessing the LBSTestMode to see if any changes were made from update. The access number code no longer works.

A quick test of GPS showed no improvement indoors but quicker locking with good accuracy outdoors. For the first time it is locking on lower SNR values. (orange below 20)

I did not see any instructions to remove simm - update installed fine with simm in.

Upvote 0
I was stock except for LbSTestMode changes made for "GPS Fix". I was able to access this menu to change setting back to original before downloading the update.

After update I tried accessing the LBSTestMode to see if any changes were made from update. The access number code no longer works.

A quick test of GPS showed no improvement indoors but quicker locking with good accuracy outdoors. For the first time it is locking on lower SNR values. (orange below 20)

Yep no longer works for me either... pretty sneaky sis.

I had QuickOffice already installed and the 1click lag fix, will test GPS soon - so what the heck was this update really for anyway? I am so far fairly underwhelmed - unless my GPS is improved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones