• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post here when you recieve ICS OTA

I have it, as mentioned in the other stickied thread. Got it March 9th.

I haven't had too much time to play around with it, so here are my quick and dirty observations from everyday use:

Pros:): The overall speed and smoothness has improved dramatically - scrolling the contacts list or through text messages is now smooth as silk.

It looks great - nice new font.

Ability to delete unused home screens - I now have the five that I use, and have gotten rid of the two empty screens.

The data usage function is really nice. I can now set it to warn me when I get close to my limit, and shut it off completely when I hit my limit. Yes, I know that there are other apps which can do this, but it's nice to have it integrated now.
2012-03-11_12-06-43.png

The Sense icons at the bottom of the homescreen are gone, now replaced with what looks like more stock Android icons (see screenshot in Official ICS discussion thread) - they are also customizable.

Quick Settings option in drop down menu is nice.

Faster camera speed (even quicker if you disable three second review) - panorama mode looks nice.

By holding down the "Home" button, a list of active programs appears, and you can kill any of them by swiping them off screen.

Face Unlock is kind of fun, but I'll stick with my PIN.

Cons:mad: :
GPS toggle seems to have been forgotten... The only way I have managed to use GPS is to enable it in Locations settings - this allows ALL apps to use it whenever they feel like it. If I do not enable it in Location settings, my toggle on SwitchPro Widget doesn't work, and my Tasker GPS profile doesn't work (even though Tasker says that the profile is active when trigger programs are open).

UPDATE: After googling the GPS issue, it seems that I am not the only one having this issue. Apparently SwitchPro released an update which fixed the issue on the GNex, so hopefully they will know how to fix it on the XE.

GoSMS Pro cannot retrieve contact photos from phonebook

Every time you restart the phone it says that Android is upgrading, currently optimizing xx of xx apps (same number every time). This takes time, obviously.

I can't seem to get the new "folder" function working. According to reviews, you should be able to create a folder just by dragging an app and dropping it onto another - but not on my XE. I use folder organizer, so I don't need it, but just wanted to check it out.

Overall I'm liking the system though, and hopefully HTC will iron out the kinks soon enough!

Reactions: Roxolid and murzz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones