Post here when you recieve ICS OTAGeneral

1. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Thought i may be a good idea for members to post when they get the OTA update to ICS and what their first impressions are.

Advertisement
    :
    El Presidente likes this.
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

I stickied this, please keep to the topic the OP requested. Only post if you have actually received the update to 4.0 (ice cream sandwhich) and let us know what your first impressions are.

All other posts will be moved to a general discussion of ICS thread.
    El Presidente and murzz like this.
  3. haddock

haddock Well-Known Member

I have it, as mentioned in the other stickied thread. Got it March 9th.

I haven't had too much time to play around with it, so here are my quick and dirty observations from everyday use:

Pros:): The overall speed and smoothness has improved dramatically - scrolling the contacts list or through text messages is now smooth as silk.

It looks great - nice new font.

Ability to delete unused home screens - I now have the five that I use, and have gotten rid of the two empty screens.

The data usage function is really nice. I can now set it to warn me when I get close to my limit, and shut it off completely when I hit my limit. Yes, I know that there are other apps which can do this, but it's nice to have it integrated now.
    [​IMG]

The Sense icons at the bottom of the homescreen are gone, now replaced with what looks like more stock Android icons (see screenshot in Official ICS discussion thread) - they are also customizable.

Quick Settings option in drop down menu is nice.

Faster camera speed (even quicker if you disable three second review) - panorama mode looks nice.

By holding down the "Home" button, a list of active programs appears, and you can kill any of them by swiping them off screen.

Face Unlock is kind of fun, but I'll stick with my PIN.

Cons:mad: :
    GPS toggle seems to have been forgotten... The only way I have managed to use GPS is to enable it in Locations settings - this allows ALL apps to use it whenever they feel like it. If I do not enable it in Location settings, my toggle on SwitchPro Widget doesn't work, and my Tasker GPS profile doesn't work (even though Tasker says that the profile is active when trigger programs are open).

UPDATE: After googling the GPS issue, it seems that I am not the only one having this issue. Apparently SwitchPro released an update which fixed the issue on the GNex, so hopefully they will know how to fix it on the XE.

GoSMS Pro cannot retrieve contact photos from phonebook

Every time you restart the phone it says that Android is upgrading, currently optimizing xx of xx apps (same number every time). This takes time, obviously.

I can't seem to get the new "folder" function working. According to reviews, you should be able to create a folder just by dragging an app and dropping it onto another - but not on my XE. I use folder organizer, so I don't need it, but just wanted to check it out.

Overall I'm liking the system though, and hopefully HTC will iron out the kinks soon enough!
    Roxolid and murzz like this.
  4. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

GUYS,

The update has just hit my XE in the last 10 Minutes, downloading as we speak.
    Im now running the UK stock software version 401 unbranded and BOOM update has just landed after I checked in on the phone.

Will report back any progress/comments
  5. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

The is ICS upgrade is awesome !!

They have kept a lot of vanilla ICS hints in there from the OS and not over-sensed it. Everything seems so much better.

The lock screen where you can user determine the tabs is cool.
    Off to play with it now :)
  6. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Lucky you mate, i have an unbranded UK XE and have had diddly squat yet:mad:
  7. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

Must have just got lucky !

Would post some screenshots but it would appear that the function has been taken out of the update.

It was in the beta that pocket-lint had
  8. haddock

haddock Well-Known Member

My screenshot function works fine with ICS... Power button + home and it snaps away.
  9. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

Yep. Got it working now. Was a bit fiddly at first.
  10. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

I guess branded phones will be facing a long delay in getting it, if they get it at all...
  11. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

will post some screenshots up when i resize to 620 to 240
  12. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

Heres a screenshot as promised.

Attached Files:

13. fanboynot

fanboynot Active Member

and another

sorry been busy and couldnt resize the screenshots any earlier. I have no idea why any of you guys are not getting it. Must be rolling out soon

Attached Files:

14. IDrvFstr

IDrvFstr New Member

Just received ICS OTA in the U.S. on and unlocked/unbranded imported Sensation XE
  15. tankhunter

tankhunter New Member

So the update has just hit the asian market i think, I just got the update, unlocked/unbranded Sensation XE in Malaysia.

Downloading but its slow i think everyone and their dog is hogging server bandwidth, once finished will update.
  16. Lotny

Lotny New Member

anyone knows when we're gona get it, in the UK? i heard that vodafone already rolled it out few days ago, what about o2? :/ all ths takes way too long!
  17. HtcAdict

HtcAdict New Member

I'm in Spain and I bought an unlocked HTC Sensation Xe on ebay. It's French I think, but as it has all language packs it's ok. The thing is that everyone is getting the OTA around here but me. Does anyone know of anybody with the same issue?

Thanks
  18. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member

It's just come through for me UK unbranded. I'm at work so won't be able to play until this evening.
  19. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

:D Just picked it up myself mate, here goes for busted wifi:rolleyes:
  20. hsramneb

hsramneb New Member

Downloading update now in Manchester on what I think is an unbranded handset on T-Mobile
  21. MrMister

MrMister Well-Known Member

I'm unbranded, its on here is what I got

4.0.3 Android , HTC Sense 3.6, S/ware version 3.32.401.105
  22. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

Same here mate :D
  23. ICS now downloading!
  24. dredg0r

dredg0r Well-Known Member

can you people please confirm whether the WiFi is busted on your upgrades?
  25. murzz

murzz Well-Known Member

wifi working fine on mine
    dredg0r likes this.