• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post must have Free Hero Android Apps here !!!!

DonB

♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™
Nov 30, 2009
18th Hole Of the Golf Course
Post must have Free Hero Android Apps here !!!!
I thought I would start this thread to get some feedback from some of the Hero user, I suggest that we post the must have free Hero Android apps and why we like them and what they do
icon_smile_clap.gif

How Far Am I
This is a great little free app for the golf geeks which gives you the GPS distance from where you are to the center of the green

Call Log Trimmer
This is a another great free apps that trims your call logs to a manageable state and does not clog your phone up.

Chomp SMS
This a great little Text program that I find has a nicer UI that the default app and has many more options.

Google Voice
Nice little App that allows you to do free calls and text messages, to Canada and many other features.

YouMail
This is a App that allows you to customize voicemail recording to each individual contact you have set up in your list. and makes it propriatory to each user

These are a few of may faves there are many more I have but I will allow others to post there and not take the limelight, lol

For what it's worth, I knew of one such thread, yet when I typed "must have" in the search window, it returned NO results. Typing "apps" returned so many results it was a waste of time. The thread title is "Must have apps" So, I must say that many new folks here are faced with an overwhelming task when searching.

May I suggest to all the forum regulars...rather than just suggesting "do a search" to a new question, or responding to a new poster that their issue has already been addressed, we post a link to the known thread, in addition to suggesting a search. I believe this will be a big benefit to all.

DonB, here is one of the many "apps" threads for you. ;)

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/44563-must-have-apps.html

Upvote 0
Thanks Bro appreciate it

For what it's worth, I knew of one such thread, yet when I typed "must have" in the search window, it returned NO results. Typing "apps" returned so many results it was a waste of time. The thread title is "Must have apps" So, I must say that many new folks here are faced with an overwhelming task when searching.

May I suggest to all the forum regulars...rather than just suggesting "do a search" to a new question, or responding to a new poster that their issue has already been addressed, we post a link to the known thread, in addition to suggesting a search. I believe this will be a big benefit to all.

DonB, here is one of the many "apps" threads for you. ;)

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/44563-must-have-apps.html

Upvote 0
My free apps must-have list is pretty short.

Wifi Analyzer - great for checking wifi access points and signal strength
EStrongs File Explorer - I like this better than Astro.
MobisleNotes - great interface for note taking, and fantastic for making reusable checklists and grocery lists.

But the absolute gem of all the free apps I've used is Shuffle. I've tried just about all of the to-do list managers available, including gTasks and Astrid. The only to-do manager I've used so far that is designed around GTD principles with a solid mix of power and ease-of-use is Shuffle.

It's not free, but if you're willing to spend just a little bit to transform your Android home screen experience, go get the Pure Calendar Widget. I can't imagine using Android without this.

Upvote 0
Which Shuffle, there seems to be 2, one by JoanSoft and the other by Andy Bryant ??

But the absolute gem of all the free apps I've used is Shuffle. I've tried just about all of the to-do list managers available, including gTasks and Astrid. The only to-do manager I've used so far that is designed around GTD principles with a solid mix of power and ease-of-use is Shuffle.

PS I figured it out, it is the one by Andy Bryant, thanks again

Upvote 0
Here are some of my favorites.

AppBrain Market Sync - Looks at the apps that you have installed and reccomends others. Also lets you look at the most popular apps for the day... etc.

Handcent SMS - Nice text and picture message app.

OurGroceries - Nice grocery list app.

Urbanspoon - Works like the iPhone version, you can lock in categories or locations, shake and it will recommend a restaurant.

PhoneFlicks - allows me to manage my netflix queue.

SMS Backup - backs up my sms messages to my gmail

Sound Manager - lets me set sound settings based on time, this way my phone automatically goes to vibrate while I'm at work and turns back on afterwards.

Gmail Unread Count - widget to put a count of gmail messages on the icon.

Air Control - the current game I'm addicted to, try to land a bunch of planes without crashing them into each other.

Upvote 0
Ah, a fellow golfer ;). My experiences with "How Far Am I" are not that good, it keeps FC'ing on my Hero. Does it behave well on your Hero? I tried using Maps Ruler, but I find the GPS is too inaccurate to be of any help (besides, distances to the greens usually are fairly well marked in the course).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones