• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Post Noob questions here

I read that the battery of the spectrum was bad, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Screen time is only 2 hours and 10 minutes. I don't know if this is considered good or bad with stock battery and stock Rom.
1372452432271.jpg 1372452448123.jpg

I'm still debating if I should but two Spectrum 2 batteries (2200 mAh each. I read in this forum that spectrum 2 batteries fit in original spectrum)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_16?k=lg+spectrum+2+battery&sprefix=lg+spectrum+2+ba

Or just get an extended battery

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...xtended+battery&i=aps&sprefix=lg+spectrum+ext

Any thoughts? And is my battery defective or is the battery just this sucky?

Upvote 0
Our screen sucks a lot of juice. I get 5+hrs screen time when it is max with the extended. If I dim it, I get over double depending on brightness. One extended should be fine. My battery barely goes below 50% and charges to full in less than 2hrs when at 50%

Heh, that's one of the reason the first kernel tweak I tried was cutting the Screen's current limit in half :p

Upvote 0
Is there a way to calibrate my battery without root? I restarted my phone at 31%, it dropped to 13% when it turned back on. Its been at 13% for an hour now...

Only way us to fully drain battery and recharge it a few times.

When I first got my extended, it would stay at 28% for about 30min, then drop to 12% for an hour then 8% for another hour, then 1% for what felt like forever the first few cycles. It has evened out somewhat now.

Reactions: android55555
Upvote 0
When I ordered my spectrum, it came with some cheap Chinese charger, not the stock one. I tried my Motorola charger, but i noticed it was loose in the charging port. The cheap charger my phone came with was not loose. So I just got the stock lg charger in the mail and checked if it was loose in the charging port, and to my disappointment, it was. Is this normal with the stock charger? It charges fine but it's annoying me.

Upvote 0
When I ordered my spectrum, it came with some cheap Chinese charger, not the stock one. I tried my Motorola charger, but i noticed it was loose in the charging port. The cheap charger my phone came with was not loose. So I just got the stock lg charger in the mail and checked if it was loose in the charging port, and to my disappointment, it was. Is this normal with the stock charger? It charges fine but it's annoying me.

My stock charger is loose, never had a problem with it.

Reactions: android55555
Upvote 0
1Ah (1000mAh) is the output of all my chargers and they work nicely.

Side note on ROMs: just used a 4.2.2 ROM all day. Battery Drain was double compared to the Quattrimus 4.1.2 ROMs. YMMV though as there was 3-4 different hardware revisions for this device and all 4 act differently on these custom ROMs. (Mine is rev 1.3 ZV7 came stock from the box on it)

I ordered an LG spectrum charger online and it came in the mail today and the output is 700 mAh, not 1000 mAh. Is mine not the stock OEM spectrum charger? And sorry to hear about your broken spectrum. Hopefully Verizon replaces your phone with something you want. If you still want the spectrum, there are some used ones on eBay around the $100 dollar price point.

Upvote 0
As a noob myself, I'm finding it hard to get answers without muddling up the threads where the devs and senior members are working so hard at more advanced issues. If you have noob questions, no matter how trivial, post them here. I know they will help me, and hopefully others. And who knows, maybe the bigshots will drop in every now and then to offer advice.
Currently running rooted LG Spectrum ICS OTA

First Question: Anyone install the emoji plugin for GoLauncher and sees only Chinese symbols on screen when using emoticons in text? I followed market directions EXACTLY to install twice...

I AM THE NOOB OF THE YEAR, that's for sure. That's why I am so glad for this forum.
I asked this question in another SPECTRUM forum, having to do with BEANSTALK. I asked if it would work on my phone.
I've been searching and reading for 7 days now, looking for a semi simple root method, and perhaps a custom ROM that would give me some functionality, getting rid of bloat ware, so my battery would last a little longer. Any ideas or direction would be much appreciated!!!

LG SPECTRUM ICS (4.0.4) VS920

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I AM THE NOOB OF THE YEAR, that's for sure. That's why I am so glad for this forum.
I asked this question in another SPECTRUM forum, having to do with BEANSTALK. I asked if it would work on my phone.
I've been searching and reading for 7 days now, looking for a semi simple root method, and perhaps a custom ROM that would give me some functionality, getting rid of bloat ware, so my battery would last a little longer. Any ideas or direction would be much appreciated!!!

LG SPECTRUM ICS (4.0.4) VS920

Roots, unlocks bootloader, installs ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery (run it twice if you're not already rooted.
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=639696

We do have Beanstalk
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=735434

Also have CM, AOKP, Chameleon, Eclipse, and Icy Fusion. Basically have to try them all to see which works best for you, they're all pretty similar as far as battery life and functionality.

Upvote 0
Use this link to root and unlock the bootloader http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...20-bootloader-pwnage-tool-lg-spectrum-4g.html

It's pretty easy to be honest.

Basically just make sure usb debugging is enabled

the phone is set to internet/modem or ethernet mode under connectivity settings(both work but I normally use modem whatever one you use if that doesn't work try the other one, I've had to do this before)

of course you must have the proper drivers installed on your pc

then just run the tool. It does all the work.

To make sure it worked for you go to the market and grab a root checker app and grab a reboot recovery app and use the root checker app to check root and then use the reboot recovery app to boot into CWM and if all that works then you were successful. Actually all you need is this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/...MsImNvbS5qcnVtbXkubGliZXJ0eS50b29sYm94cHJvIl0. The free version will work as well but to me this is the best root app there is. It will check root and reboot into recovery for you plus it has tons of other neat features and the dev is super responsive and helpful. And you if plan on rooting and messing with custom roms it's a must have IMO. Also this app will allow you to make backups of your apps so when you flash a new rom you can quickly reinstall all your apps without having to download them from the market.

Once you have this done download whatever rom you want (the best ones are CM10.1 and AOKP42) and flash it in recovery.

CM10.1 CyanogenMod Downloads
AOKP42 Releases | AOKP

Before flashing the Rom make a backup of your current system in CWM. And use the tar method.

To flash a rom all you do is reboot into CWM recovery wipe data/factory reset / wipe cache / wipe dalvik (dalvik is located under advanced in CWM) and then go to install zip from sdcard / choose zip from sdcard / navigate to your rom zip / and install it.

You will also need gapps which can be obtained here Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip These are all the google apps and due to copyright issues none of the roms since gingerbread have them preinstalled so you must flash them separately.

After you have installed the rom in CWM now again choose zip from sdcard and navigate to gapps and flash that...and reboot, you're all done.
HELLO! I needed to ask you this here, will this work on a V8 LG SPECTRUM? Or does it need to be V7 as in the instructions? Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
As a noob myself, I'm finding it hard to get answers without muddling up the threads where the devs and senior members are working so hard at more advanced issues. If you have noob questions, no matter how trivial, post them here. I know they will help me, and hopefully others. And who knows, maybe the bigshots will drop in every now and then to offer advice.
Currently running rooted LG Spectrum ICS OTA

First Question: Anyone install the emoji plugin for GoLauncher and sees only Chinese symbols on screen when using emoticons in text? I followed market directions EXACTLY to install twice...

I am REALLY new to all of this. But I need to ask a NOOB question. Everywhere I look, there are methods available to ROOT the LG SPECTRUM.
THEN it inevitably says to "do a nandroid backup FIRST"
However, it always seems that the instructions tell you that you need to be rooted to do a nandroid backup.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? They don't want you to ROOT without the backup, that you can't do unless you are rooted.
That's why I keep my hair cut short, so I don't pull all of It out. Please help.....

Upvote 0
I am REALLY new to all of this. But I need to ask a NOOB question. Everywhere I look, there are methods available to ROOT the LG SPECTRUM.
THEN it inevitably says to "do a nandroid backup FIRST"
However, it always seems that the instructions tell you that you need to be rooted to do a nandroid backup.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? They don't want you to ROOT without the backup, that you can't do unless you are rooted.
That's why I keep my hair cut short, so I don't pull all of It out. Please help.....

Run the tool posted above to root, boot into CWM, backup, flash ROM of choice. There is a very small of risk that it will mess up your phone (as always) but we can help you out with almost anything here.

Upvote 0
Roots, unlocks bootloader, installs ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery (run it twice if you're not already rooted.
[Updated 11-20-12][BOOTLOADER][Windows][VS920]Bootloader Pwnage Tool for the LG Spectrum 4G - Android Forums

We do have Beanstalk
[ROM][CM10.1][JB4.2.2] Beanstalk Build 1.275 [7/13] - Android Forums

Also have CM, AOKP, Chameleon, Eclipse, and Icy Fusion. Basically have to try them all to see which works best for you, they're all pretty similar as far as battery life and functionality.

OK, this seems to be just what I asked for. It sounds great. However, I need to know, like I said previously, my phone says it is V8, and in the instructions it says it is required to be on V7.

Is that going to cause problems? Should I factory reset or something before flashing this to my phone? Is there any kind of backup I should perform before trying the CWM recovery? And, will Beanstalk work on my phone (I am not rooted yet). The posts for beanstalk all sounded as if it was an excellent choice. (All of this can get a little confusing.)

All of the posts I've ever read said I need to backup before rooting, but you can't perform the type of backup they suggested unless you were already rooted. That was my main stumbling block.

One last question. I've read in other posts that using CWM may harm my phone because of the "locked bootloader". Is there a danger there, or does this tool you suggested take care of that? I am really sorry for the lengthy reply, but I AM nervous about this. But I am convinced that I won't be able to get the most out of my device without rooting it and cleaning it up. So much stuff runs when you turn the phone on, stuff that I don't want or need.

P.S. I just finished telling my wife about this forum, and how selfless and giving it's members are. It is amazing to me how in this day and age, there are places where people we will probably never meet are so willing to help complete strangers. I only hope that someday I will be able to return the generosity shown to me here.

Upvote 0
OK, this seems to be just what I asked for. It sounds great. However, I need to know, like I said previously, my phone says it is V8, and in the instructions it says it is required to be on V7.

Is that going to cause problems? Should I factory reset or something before flashing this to my phone? Is there any kind of backup I should perform before trying the CWM recovery? And, will Beanstalk work on my phone (I am not rooted yet). The posts for beanstalk all sounded as if it was an excellent choice. (All of this can get a little confusing.)

All of the posts I've ever read said I need to backup before rooting, but you can't perform the type of backup they suggested unless you were already rooted. That was my main stumbling block.

One last question. I've read in other posts that using CWM may harm my phone because of the "locked bootloader". Is there a danger there, or does this tool you suggested take care of that? I am really sorry for the lengthy reply, but I AM nervous about this. But I am convinced that I won't be able to get the most out of my device without rooting it and cleaning it up. So much stuff runs when you turn the phone on, stuff that I don't want or need.

P.S. I just finished telling my wife about this forum, and how selfless and giving it's members are. It is amazing to me how in this day and age, there are places where people we will probably never meet are so willing to help complete strangers. I only hope that someday I will be able to return the generosity shown to me here.

You'll be ok. I've done it from v8 several times. And as far as the bootloader, you have to run the root/unlock tool twice... Once to root and again to unlock bootloader.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
OH!! OK
It's scary that I am beginning to understand the termionology and the activities needed to achieve root. Used to do programming in UNIX YEARS ago, I can picture this happening. Thank you so much for the reply, I feel better now, knowing someone has tried it before. How big should the file be? (pwnage tool). And I guess if I connect my phone to my PC, and I can see my files, then the drivers are installed correctly, right?

If the answer is yes, then I am ready to go and try this. Let me know about the drivers question please, and I'll take it from there.

Upvote 0

One last question. I've read in other posts that using CWM may harm my phone because of the "locked bootloader". Is there a danger there, or does this tool you suggested take care of that?

Will work fine on V8.

No need to factory reset or backup before rooting/unlocking, but will want to wipe data before flashing a ROM, so it is recommended to backup apps and make a CWM backup before flashing.

Beanstalk (or any other ROM) requires root and CWM (or TWRP), which requires the boot loader to be unlocked. CWM only causes problems when people try to flash it without unlocking first; use this tool and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Will work fine on V8.

No need to factory reset or backup before rooting/unlocking, but will want to wipe data before flashing a ROM, so it is recommended to backup apps and make a CWM backup before flashing.

Beanstalk (or any other ROM) requires root and CWM (or TWRP), which requires the boot loader to be unlocked. CWM only causes problems when people try to flash it without unlocking first; use this tool and you'll be fine.

OK then, the way I understand the sequence of events, I run the tool once to unlock (root) the device, go in through CWM and make a backup, wipe data areas, THEN run it a second time to unlock the bootloader? THEN, I can flash a ROM?

Maybe that's what I am missing is the exact order of events. I just want to be sure of what I am doing. You guys have been more than helpful. I suppose patience IS a virtue.

Upvote 0
OK then, the way I understand the sequence of events, I run the tool once to unlock (root) the device, go in through CWM and make a backup, wipe data areas, THEN run it a second time to unlock the bootloader? THEN, I can flash a ROM?

Maybe that's what I am missing is the exact order of events. I just want to be sure of what I am doing. You guys have been more than helpful. I suppose patience IS a virtue.

Run it once to root (gain administrative access on) your phone. Run it a second time to unlock the bootloader and install CWM (a custom recovery). After CWM is installed, you can boot into the custom recovery and make a backup. After you have a backup of your phone, you can wipe data and flash the ROM of your choice.

I guess it should be noted for you that when you make the backup, be sure to switch the format from the default (dup) to tar since our phones just don't seem to like dup that much.

Upvote 0
Run it once to root (gain administrative access on) your phone. Run it a second time to unlock the bootloader and install CWM (a custom recovery). After CWM is installed, you can boot into the custom recovery and make a backup. After you have a backup of your phone, you can wipe data and flash the ROM of your choice.

I guess it should be noted for you that when you make the backup, be sure to switch the format from the default (dup) to tar since our phones just don't seem to like dup that much.

OK, thanks to all of you that helped to clear up my confusion. Since my questions and answers are spread out over several posts, I thought I would try to put it all together in a checklist for anyone wishing to root and unlock the LG SPECTRUM VS920 using the PWNAGE tool.
Here are the steps as I see it for use in WINDOWS. Please let me know if I forgot anything, or if something is in the wrong order:

1. Make sure usb debugging is enabled on the phone (in settings/developer options)

2. Make sure the phone is set to internet/modem or ethernet mode under connectivity settings (whatever one you use if that doesn't work try the other one)

3. Make sure you have the proper drivers installed on your pc (Go to LG website and download/install the windows drivers for your phone)

4. Use this link to download the tool, [Updated 11-20-12][BOOTLOADER][Windows][VS920]Bootloader Pwnage Tool for the LG Spectrum 4G , extract it to your C: drive.

5. Run this tool twice. The first time you run it you root your phone (gain administrative access). Running it again unlocks the bootloader and installs CWM (a custom recovery). (NOTE: Using CWM or TWRP requires the boot loader to be unlocked. Installing CWM alone will cause problems when people try to flash it without unlocking first. That’s why you run the tool twice, the first time gives you root access, and the second time you run it, CWM is installed without any problems.

6. After step 5 is finished, CWM is installed; you can now boot into CWM (the custom recovery) and make a backup. When you do a backup of your phone with CMW, switch the format first from the default setting (dup) to (tar) since our phones don't seem to like dup that much.

7. NOW, to flash (install) a rom you like, download a copy, and put it on your SD card. Then, reboot into CWM recovery, and use it to wipe data/factory reset/wipe cache/wipe dalvik (dalvik is located under advanced in CWM). Then you can go to install zip from sdcard.

8. Choose your ROM zip from the sdcard and install it. That’s it.

You will also want GAPPS which can be obtained here Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip these are all the google apps and due to copyright issues none of the roms since gingerbread have them preinstalled so you must flash them separately to install them on your phone.

After you have put the GAPPS rom on your SD card, go into CWM again and choose install zip from sdcard, navigate to gapps and flash that...and reboot, you're all done!!!

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!! I clicked on the link taking me to VIRUS TOTAL, and discovered that the last scan showed this file to have Trojan.AndroidOS.Generic.A in it. Until I get some answers from more experienced members of this forum, use this at your own risk. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones