• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Post Noob questions here

Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, klembo1957, but give this a quick look:
Not posting this with any LG Spectrum rooting knowledge in-hand (none, in fact :p)...I've just seen it before and thought it might be applicable.

Cheers!

Thanks Scary, yes, something like that, but that only covers the CM10.1 rom I believe. I don't see any information in that list that tells me which gapps I need for pac man, beanstalk, icy fusion?

In the individual forums for each of these roms, it is hard to find the version of gapps that you need to go along with each. For example, I believe I went through the entire thread for icy fusion, and didn't see the gapps version mentioned at all.

I was just suggesting such a thread, so that anyone wanting to try a rom could go to one place with confidence, and find the rom they want, with the version of gapps they need to install it.

I been lucky, in that I did a LOT of reading here, and have had some really helpful people in this forum explain things to me, so I didn't ruin my phone, but the benefit of such a thread should/could make the process much easier for everyone. :D

It should be mentioned too that I tried to use the included GOOMANAGER with the rom I flashed, and it downloaded what it thought was the correct version of gapps to my phone, but for some reason, I couldn't get it to install. When I tried to download the same version of gapps on my computer, and put it on my SD card, and tried to flash it, I got stuck in a bootloop that would stop only after I pulled the battery.

Not fun, and a little scary (sorry for the unintended reference). LOL. One other thing, I only have 300 MB of data with my plan, the absolute bare minimum to keep costs to Verizon low. When using GOOMANAGER, it ate up 75% of my available data usage. Now I have to be VERY careful for the rest of the month, so I don't go over the limit, and incur what are probably huge data costs.

I would rather download these gapps files on my computer (no costs involved that way), and move them over to my phone for installation.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I can understand that frustration with figuring out which gapps to download. The link Scary posted is actually a really good table to help out - the only other piece of information you would need is what version of Android the rom is. I believe Icy Fusion is an ICS rom - android 4.0.4, tho it would be beneficial if that were listed in the thread. CM, AOKP, PAC, and Beanstalk are all android 4.2.2 right now, tho TDM is working very hard at getting us cm10.2 which is android 4.3. (I cannot say thank you enough to TDM for all his hard work!) Once that is done AOKP, PAC, and Beanstalk will quickly follow suit since they are all based off of CM.

With that said, if the thread doesn't mention which version of gapps to use, definitely ask - getting the right version is definitely important for your phone to work correctly...

Upvote 0
I can understand that frustration with figuring out which gapps to download. The link Scary posted is actually a really good table to help out - the only other piece of information you would need is what version of Android the rom is. I believe Icy Fusion is an ICS rom - android 4.0.4, tho it would be beneficial if that were listed in the thread. CM, AOKP, PAC, and Beanstalk are all android 4.2.2 right now, tho TDM is working very hard at getting us cm10.2 which is android 4.3. (I cannot say thank you enough to TDM for all his hard work!) Once that is done AOKP, PAC, and Beanstalk will quickly follow suit since they are all based off of CM.

With that said, if the thread doesn't mention which version of gapps to use, definitely ask - getting the right version is definitely important for your phone to work correctly...

Yes, I agree. Thanks for the quick reply. I found out the hard way what happens when you flash the wrong gapps version. Although it may be obvious to the more experienced, I've never seen anywhere in these posts an explanation of how to choose the correct gapps for your rom.

It seems easy enough to choose the gapps file that is congruent with the version of the rom you are using, but I've never been told that (hoping I am right). For instance, if you want to flash beanstalk, since it is based on the JB 4.2.2, you would want the gapps 20130812 I assume? (going by the list at GOOIM) But no one ever told me that, or anything else about which gapps to use.

Then again, I never asked until now either.....:thinking: My own fault I guess. Anyway, if someone could let me know if I am on the right track? Don't want my phone to blow up again.......

Upvote 0
Yes, I agree. Thanks for the quick reply. I found out the hard way what happens when you flash the wrong gapps version. Although it may be obvious to the more experienced, I've never seen anywhere in these posts an explanation of how to choose the correct gapps for your rom.

It seems easy enough to choose the gapps file that is congruent with the version of the rom you are using, but I've never been told that (hoping I am right). For instance, if you want to flash beanstalk, since it is based on the JB 4.2.2, you would want the gapps 20130812 I assume? (going by the list at GOOIM) But no one ever told me that, or anything else about which gapps to use.

Then again, I never asked until now either.....:thinking: My own fault I guess. Anyway, if someone could let me know if I am on the right track? Don't want my phone to blow up again.......

That's exactly it...

Reactions: klembo1957
Upvote 0
Ok so I just bought a new wall charger for this phone it's a Belkin 10watt/2.1amp charger. When I plug it into my phone it says I have a slow charge, if I use my wife's charger(Huawei 5.0v-1.0amp) it doesn't say slow charge same cable. I've tried with other chargers with similar results. Is there a good charger for this phone or am I stuck with mediocre? Thanks for reading.

Upvote 0
Ok so I just bought a new wall charger for this phone it's a Belkin 10watt/2.1amp charger. When I plug it into my phone it says I have a slow charge, if I use my wife's charger(Huawei 5.0v-1.0amp) it doesn't say slow charge same cable. I've tried with other chargers with similar results. Is there a good charger for this phone or am I stuck with mediocre? Thanks for reading.

The phone determines how much current it will draw.

If the data lines aren't shorted on the charger - typical for iDevice chargers - then it acts like it's connected to a PC and draws a maximum of 500 mA.

When shorted, it will draw the max, usually 1000 mA (1 A).

If the phone isn't designed to draw more than that, putting a larger charger on it won't matter.

You can find better chargers for less at monoprice.com - hope this helps.

Reactions: Bestnugz
Upvote 0
The Spectrum is very finicky. Per previous poster, go with a stock LG charger. They are like five to seven dollars on eBay. Go with an OEM battery.

The cable MAY telegraph the source's ability to fast charge although the shorting is most likely done in the charger itself, otherwise cables couldn't also be used for USB connectivity and moving data.

Ultimately, the phone should determine that voltages or currents are such that it should charge (if at all) at a particular rate.

Upvote 0
i was going to make a new thread for this question but i thought i should just post my question here. Im one of those few people who stay on stock rom/unrooted/locked bootloader. I've notice when the phone is off and i turn it on, the LG logo comes up 3 times before the 4gLTE logo. Sometimes, when i turn it on, the first LG logo is missing; the screen is just black... but everything boots up as normal. Is this a normal phenomenon with the spectrum, where it's sometimes missing the first out of the 3 LG logos when booting up? Remember im stock unrooted.

Upvote 0
android55555:
I'm stock, unrooted. I've just tried several cycles, including powering completely off, or just doing a "restart", and also disabling my WiFi radio, or enabling my WiFi radio, and each time, I get the initial short vibration, followed by the LG logo, followed by another LG logo which becomes somewhat animated, then the 4GLTE screen.

I've never taken notice of the boot before. I will try to pay more attention and if I see something with three distinct LG logos, I'll let you know.

Reactions: android55555
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones