Post-rooting: many programs won't install or launch.

Last Updated:

1. SkinJob

SkinJob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just installed a custom ROM (LeeDroid 2.1a with A2SD+), which installs Froyo version of Android. (Apps install on an EXT3 partition of the SD Card, that the phone thinks is internal memory). However, roughly 25% of apps don't work (ie. Swype, HTC's More Widgets (ie. Dice), TypoClock) . Whether I use Sense or LauncherPro, the same result. Either they don't show up in the app drawer (but can be seen in Applications), or can't be launched (via Quick Info). The apps installed via the Android Market show as installed, but the OPEN button is greyed out.

These are apps that worked before on 2.1 Eclair. So with no more info than "Cannot launch application", I can't figure out if its Froyo or the custom ROM (LeeDroid A2SD+) that's the "root" of the problem.

Any clues?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

What if you uninstall these installed apps via the market and reinstall them?

Were the market apps in ext before your flashed the new rom? Did you do a full wipe before you flaswhed the new rom? Did you restore anything after you flashed the rom?

3. SkinJob

Hi. The problem is equally on market apps as it is on apps that I install straight from my hard drive (via HTC Sync). None of the apps were on EXT before I flashed the new ROM, as it is the first time I flash a ROM on my Desire. Yes, I did a full wipe of everything possible, and reformatted the SD Card for 2 partitions, FAT32 and EXT3. Yes, I restored many of my apps via MyBackup Pro; (and I was careful what I restored). But the apps I am trying to launch are new apps I never installed before. They'll install but they won't launch or show up in the drawer. This includes the extra widgets that come with HTC Sense.

I thought it was a problem with the apps themselves, but there are too many for it to be a coincidence. Then I thought they're just not compatible with Froyo, but again, too many for that to be the case. I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling "Retro Clock Widget"; no difference. Open button is greyed out.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Did you do any type of restore after flashing the rom?

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

i found an issue with some apps trying to install using froyo apps2sd and leedroid trying to run an a2sd script with them
    this is because lee for some reason left the install location set to 0 which means its application depended.

a fix for this is to set it to 1, reboot and then reinstall the apps that failed. works perfectly then

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 1

6. SkinJob

Here's a "Duh!" moment... I am now able to run "Dice", "Coin" (from HTC More Widgets), RetroClock widget. It seems I likely could have before, but didn't realize it was not necessarily abnormal to not show up in my app drawer, or to not be launchable from Quick Settings. All I had to do was add these widgets to the deskop via + button on HTC's launcher! My SoundHound Pro app also works now (whereas it seems I was only able to download and install the market version previously).

However, SWYPE still doesn't show up in "Input Method" or APPS or WIDGETS. That too might be normal, as the other SWYPE's (betas) are designed not to show up at this point. But I got a special Samsung rip of SWYPE that is supposed to not be time-limited! (It's new to me, so I can't say it's worked before).

So whether the adb command worked or not, it appears there isn't going to be a pattern of apps not installing due to the ROM, as I feared. Thanks to both of you for helping me sort through this. :)