• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post your 3G data so speeds please!

I live in a very small rural area and for some reason my results were very high (I posted them earlier) any idea why they would be so high?

2391kbps UP and 877kbps DOWN.

Like NKT said, fewer traffic on the towers and backbone means more speed for you. Living in a small or rural area is actually a good thing with VZW since they have 3G everywhere where as with AT&T or T-Mobile you will be stuck with edge or god forbid gprs.

Upvote 0
Like NKT said, fewer traffic on the towers and backbone means more speed for you. Living in a small or rural area is actually a good thing with VZW since they have 3G everywhere where as with AT&T or T-Mobile you will be stuck with edge or god forbid gprs.

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured but I was curious. They put a tower up about 1/2 mile from my house last summer so we get full bars all the time.

Upvote 0
I'm sporting both an iPhone 4 and Droid X right now, and with Wifi turned off here in my home, I'm getting the following speeds:

iPhone 4:
Download = 2100 kbps
Upload = 96 kbps
Latency = 469 ms

Droid X:
Download = 500 kbps
Upload = 600 kbps
Latency = 245 ms

AT&T has much better download speeds, but to be honest, I have noticed because the improved latency on the Droid means things actually feel pretty snappy. It's only when actually downloading files that AT&T gains the advantage.

The upload speed on AT&T is jacked right now because they have a software problem with HSUPA in many metro areas. For the first week the ip4 was out, I was getting 1600 kbps uploads and they have promised to fix this. But for now, I'm crawling at less than 100.

So each network appears to have its advantages. In terms of raw speed, AT&T is going to win every time right now in a HSPA area. But I do have to admit, the latency is definitely a major consideration.

Upvote 0
BINGO!

User experience is not just a function of speed (bandwidth), but latency plays a HUGE roll. Check your ping times. They should be much better on EVDO Rev. A than on HSPA.

And just wait for LTE... we're talking wicked fast pings! :cool:

At 100kbps it would take 84s to download a 1mb file.

bandwidth calculator - dslreports.com

LTE 4g will be tiered and data capped, verizon is getting rid of unlimited for lte 4g rollout. confirmed by the verizon ceo. They said that 3 percent of their smarphone users account for 40 percent of their network use. The other 97 percent of their users are having to pay 30 bucks for internet to basically subsidize the price for the 3 percent who abuse the unlimited, such as tethering... etc.

I can also imagine once they release 4g phones, they will probably force you into a tiered 4g plan, probably making grandfathered 3g useless.

I dunno, what do you guys think? I personally don't abuse data, and I don't use 15gigs a month, like i've heard some people do. I just don't like the idea of a cap, i dunno.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones