Post Your App Idea

1. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

What Android Application, if created, would make your mobile dreams come true? Please nothing ridiculous like, "you press a button and an uber hot chick pops out of the battery pack and is automatically in love with you."

Lets hear them!

I'd love an Android application that could allow you to use your phone as a remote control to change television stations. That would be SIIIIICK. Problem would be if you can go into someone else's house and change THEIR stations.

I think the "receiver" would need to be bluetooth enabled since I don't see phones being able to send infrared signals anytime soon. I guess the key here is actually having a RECEIVER that has the technology. The application is probably the easy part.

How cool would it be if you could use your phone to take video that automatically streams - and is saved to - your account on a website? People could browse by users, locations, etc... and see who is currently "phonecasting" video and watch them live.

This could be crazy if people take their phones into sporting events, concerts, etc... and you can browse streams by location... you could potentially pinpoint events going on and see video streams from people filming at the event with their phone.

Pretty crazy if you ask me. And very doable.

So you're walking along... but wouldn't mind hopping on a bus, catching a metro, jumping in a cab, etc... what is the QUICKEST or CHEAPEST way from point A to B?

This app would list all your options with distance, time, price and more. Supposing you select "bus" it would then help you navigate to the closest bus stop. It might also alert you to where the closest cab is or even connect you directly to a cab company who would instantly come to the GPS location referred to them.

When you buy something, you scan the receipt and can manage your expenses and accounting OH so easily. You'd also have permanent records if the IRS comes knocking on the door.

As you're on your trip you take pictures, type using a full qwerty keyboard, etc... and a LIVE journal is kept with features such as GPS location, time of input, etc to create a more dynamic "live journal"

Actually this just sounds like posting to wordpress from your phone with your location auto-filled via GPS hahahaha not really that exciting.

Advertisement
    :
  2. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Member

Wow that is an AMAZING idea. Make it and sell it to H&R Block! Or TurboTax! It would also be cool if you could scan a barcode in a store and your Android Phone would tell you how far away you would have to go to get a better deal on the same thing.
    newbie25, egDonald and sparcflash like this.
  3. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Member

I don't use public transportation much so I think VZNavigator already does everything I need. But probably not a bad idea for tourists and public transpo people.
  4. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Member

Favorite Android Idea so far...

Starred Thread

(I was going to +rep you but you're the admin so what's the point? Hehe)
    Brian706 and chevanlol360 like this.
  5. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Member

I think I just read about the iPhone being used as some type of remote control copy other devices in the near future. It HAS to be possible... I'm positive I saw it.
    newbie25, Kaat72, aboatright and 2 others like this.
  6. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Member

An App Called "Employ Me" Where you could just walk around places and it would show you the closest places that were hiring and you could filter it by things like FT/PT, pay, experience, line of work, etc...

Unemployed? Walk out your front door and find the closest job possible!
  7. blesafho

blesafho New Member

how about, application that let you share your phonebook, address, and other data
    i can't create it, can you help me?
  8. PhantomOeo

PhantomOeo New Member

yeah one feature of this that would be great would being able to share apps
  9. celia

celia New Member

Its a good app.

Does the codecs and streaming protocols necessary to do streaming is supported in android?
  10. TrCeaAstTer

TrCeaAstTer New Member

Yeah its possible but for tv's and stuff the phone needs an IR sensor... Not sure my iphone has one or its at least hidden among the light/proximity sensor. Dont get me wrong... How cool would that be! I would love it! I want my android phone to literally do everything for me! Not that i ask the world or anything ;)
    newbie25 likes this.
  11. Rob

If the phone could really do anything, they should call it the "Belvedere" as in "Mr. Belvedere".

Screw the Dream, I want the HTC Belvedere! Fetch me dinner, Belvedere phone!
    skystormfarms likes this.
  12. haoransd

haoransd New Member

www.livecast.com

Livecast is company providing the living streaming and let users to upload their streaming files to their distributed worldwide web servers. Instread of peer to peer live streaming, it supports broadcasting: phone to phones, phone to PCs, and PC to Phones.

I was supposed to port our Livecast application on GPhone. But it seems Android has not provided the Live streaming API. I hople they could provide the access to the Stream Encoder so that I could complete my project asap.

Livecast Project Manager.
    bkttk2 likes this.
  13. idlewire

idlewire New Member

Actually, imagine if you could compile all the streams of a football game or any event into a 3D representation using this technology.
  14. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

Isn't that blasphemy? Microsoft Photosynth and Google Android? :p

Actually, that would be really awesome. Photosynth sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not a creative MS dev. I write code, not design. "Pretty" is a nice-to-have feature for me. :p
  15. popsmusix

popsmusix Member

16. mistrrhappy

mistrrhappy Member

Hi Rob- Could you repost my reply as a new thread instead? I think more folks will see it there. Thanks!
  17. Cain

Cain New Member

I would like to see more stats kept for phonebooks

Longest calls?
    How many sms/phonecalls/emails sent to a person?
    How many contacts have I never contacted?
    Who do I call less than once a month?

All call information could be dumped into a tiny database and the sorted on demand.
    subet and agile like this.
  18. Cain

Cain New Member

I wonder if Quicken online has something like this planned?
  19. SHodges

SHodges Member

There was an interview with one of the two guys at Google, I can't remember if it was Larry or Sergei, but they talked about how several years from now, you'll be able to walk into a store, look at an item, put that item's product code into Google, and it'll give you a price comparison on that item for every retail outlet in a 10 mile radius. I'd really love to see stuff like that. Android would be more like a tri-corder from Star Trek than a phone at that point.
    TxFig likes this.
  20. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

"There are not one, but two, apps that basically do the same thing: compare prices and save us money. Using the camera, you can "scan" the barcode of an item by snapping a picture. The app will then comparison shop for you. You can read online reviews and even create price alerts if the price drops. CompareEverywhere also lets you use the GPS to find nearby stores and then call them directly."

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/10_android_apps_we_will_actual.php
    skystormfarms and TxFig like this.
  21. ivanbishop

ivanbishop New Member

So the device doesnt end up being as misunderstood and in the end powered down as B-4; it HAS to have an MS exchange client.

Much though I hate to admit it, Exchange is the de facto standard for corporate email.

Will there be an Android client that will support both email and calendar.

Without this, it will never be suitable for most business users.
    And I REALLY dont want to 'have to' buy an iphone....
  22. SHodges

SHodges Member

Not quite as advanced as what I want, but still, pretty useful. I didn't know they were already doing that with Android though.
  23. HolmesB

HolmesB New Member

What about a app that syncs up with those child finder devices that tell you the general direction of your child, example is the duracell commercial with the mother in the park and loses her son.

But with android you dont just get a arrow telling which way to go , you get to "see" through google maps where the child is. Possibly a how far in feet/meters, and a compass. This could also be used to know were other members of your family are, similar to the whole "Where you at" idea that , I can't remember their name, company had.

This app could also be used with things like onstar, except that it wouldn't just be for your car. In a emergency you could press a panic button that would tell 911 were you are at.

what do you think?
    TxFig likes this.
  24. Rob

I'm 99.9999% sure one of the Android Developer Challenge Winners had a feature that does this in their application. It was a general family protection/safety app and seemed like it covered all the bases for parents.

But remember, to know where your kids are they'll have to be carrying an Android Phone too... on them.
  25. I said it in another thread, but first off, shoutcast would be cool. Since the phone will be forever connected to the net.

Secondly, a skype app (I KNOW someone is plottin this already)

Let me think, I know there are some gamers out there (I am one of them) possibly some type of app that lets you know release date, tracks acheivements and trophies

And finally, I don't know if it was mentioned but a RSS app would be cool too,

I wonder if you can connect to Hulu on that phone? That would own on those trips to work for me.