Post Your App Idea

1. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

This has three aspects, and would probably need to be a native app instead of a java app:

0) Wifi Access Point - like Joikuspot (or like Cradlepoint PHS and CTR devices), but for Android. Turns your Android phone into a wifi access point / personal hotspot. Also solves the tethering problem. (though, you might want to get an external battery for it, or an extended battery, but IMO it'd be worth it)

1) embedded Jabber server for SMS/MMS messaging - You could run a jabber client on your laptop/desktop and connect it to your phone. Your phone would then send your text/picture messages through this jabber connection.

2) embedded SIP server for calls - same as above, but for voice calls. This would let you receive calls from any SIP program (running on your laptop/desktop) or SIP device (some voip phones, some other phones, etc).

(#1 and #2 should be usable whether your phone is being used as an access point, or a wifi client; but if you're using it as a client, you'll need some way to tell your jabber/sip clients what your phone's IP address is, so that they can connect to it)

When you're on the move, you can use your phone directly for SMS/MMS/voice ... but when you get somewhere where you can pull out your laptop, or sit down at a desktop, you don't have to keep switching back and forth between computer and phone to continue a conversation. It all just seamlessly blends together, in terms of communication capability.
  2. OrganizedFellow

OrganizedFellow Well-Known Member

WOW!?
    Just lookit those creative juices flowing!

I'll take this following:
    It's already installed - calculator.

This will NOT work.
    In the world of retail and wholesale, we never keep the aisles stagnant.
    Items should and will be rotated.
    WHY?
    Many reasons:
    Creates the illusion of NEW merchandise. If you never go down aisle 10, moving something from aisle 10 to aisle 1, sales might increase.
    If Product A didn't sell well in aisle 123, swap it with another product. If sales increase, good move. If not, move it back.

There are so many flaws with this idea. But IF IT SHOULD WORK, fukken-ay, I'd be damned glad.
  3. johnkzin

Calculator will automatically analyze the barcode, determine the price, and add it to a running total for this shopping trip? Impressive, I've never seen another calculator app, on any platform, that does that.

Or did you just not understand what I was saying?

Yes, I could scan each item, get the correct price (because it's not always easy to just look at the shelf or item and get the current price that way), and enter it into a stupid-calculator program ... but, the whole point of the request is for something more intelligent and automated than that.

Perhaps you don't get that.

Huh. 95% of shelf organization in the stores I go to are "stagnant" enough in their layout that the idea would at least be helpful, even if it wasn't perfect.
  4. johnkzin

This one isn't so much an application, as a suggestion/feature request for the built-in SMS application (perhaps as an alternative, but maybe in addition to what I said above about the phone having a built-in Jabber server):

1) Fully integrate Google Talk and Android's SMS/MMS features. You can use a Google Talk session to send SMS/MMS messages out using your phone number as the source (authenticated some how to keep people from impersonating you), and incoming SMS/MMS messages could be mirrored to your Google Talk session.

2) Have a setting for whether or not you want to automatically save your SMS/MMS messages to your Gmail account's "Chats" folder, along with your other Google Talk chats (as two separate settings, so you can just do your regular chats, just do your SMS/MMS messages, do both, or do neither).

3) Allow your Gmail web session to be used for sending SMS/MMS messages directly, just like you can for Chats.

So, if you're on your laptop/desktop, you'd have the ability to continue your SMS/MMS conversations without interruption, and you'd be able to manage their archiving just like you do for Google Talk.

Bonus if they finally enable Google's Jabber service to do gatewaying to AIM, Yahoo, MSN, IRC, and other Jabber services. Then you could have all of your IM's archived in your Chats folder.
  5. OrganizedFellow

I was being a sarcastic ass.

Milk = $2.89
    Eggs = $1.29
    Bread = $1.99

You buy 1 gallon of milk, one case of eggs and two loaves of bread (2.89 + 1.29 + 1.99 + 1.99) + 8.25% estimated sales tax = $8.80

Perhaps you don't get that.

Perhaps I really DON'T get it (not being sarcastic this time).
    How would a dedicated application make it easier for you to shop when there are literally millions of different barcode combinations?
  6. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

@organizedFellow:

I'm not sure where you shop, but while individual items may move a little within an aisle, for the most part all the grocery stores I go to are organized the same basic way and items within certain categories are always in the same place. If some spaz moved things around constantly to waste my time, I'd go shop somewhere else.

Yeah you move around an end-cap display pretty often, but bread is always in the same place. Some creative marketing genius never decides it might sell better next to the tampons.

I guess if your weekly shopping list regularly includes items from women's boutique shops like the Coach store, you might find things shuffled around drastically, but ice cream goes in coolers and coolers are friggin heavy, ergo ice cream will always be in the same aisle.

It would be really handy to have a grocery list in location order for a change.
  7. OrganizedFellow

[rant]
    I shop almost exclusively at Costco, sometimes Target, or Walgreen's/CVS for convenience.
    I never go to Wal-Mart cause I don't like their business ethics (did you know they regularly FIRE topped out employees just to save money?).

While true, most grocery stores are organized the same basic way and items within certain categories are always in the same place.
    I'm just debating the fact of this app ... 'working'.

Who is going to input these regular items into a database of UPC codes to ease your shopping woes so you can make a map of your shopping trip to avoid walking past the detergent you already bought (remember the milk!)?

Would you all be more thrilled with a layout schematic of Wal-Mart Supercenter, so you can stop wasting time looking for the 24 piece TupperWare set your wifes friend bought?

And we don't move things around to 'waste your time'.
    Frankly (don't get offended), but if you feel that shopping is a waste of your time cause you don't want to go looking for something, then perhaps you shouldn't be shopping.
    We place products where they sell best, as you already mentioned. It is not uncommon for an ENTIRE aisles contents be shifted to the next aisle to expose some new products.

But in all likelihood, a pen & paper would be your best friend, along with a predetermined spending limit and sheer willpower to avoid tossing those Frito's in the shopping cart. That's what I do and it has done well for me and +95% of the shoppers I serve.
    [/rant]
  8. freedomflyer

freedomflyer Well-Known Member

It would be cool to be able to install a service (not necessarily a graphical app) that gave someone responsbile with sensitive data i.e., Google, GPS coordinates of every device using Android (and, if other carriers/services want to join, them) to provide a sort of usage map, traffic congestion, or something therabouts.
    I've always wanted something like this. Not necessarily to see WHERE people are, but to see how MANY people are in a certain place.
  9. OrganizedFellow

LOVE IT!
    It would really make it cool to meet other Android users to share apps, ideas, etc.

I HOPE THE DEVELOPERS ARE READING THIS!
    :)
  10. freedomflyer

Yeah, it's not hard to overlay a circle of a certain size over a city, say, Salt Lake (no bias, no bias), and change the color from blue to red as the city gets "hotter" with more usage and whatnot. Something like that.
    I'm personally really not a fan of "what bars/clubs/restaurants are people at?" apps that give you random information about random people. I'd just really like to know how many people are using android/mobile devices (maybe even the carrier/manufacturer) in a certain area.
  11. OrganizedFellow

Yeah, same here.
    Like this one:
    I'm not into that.

It would be clever if this app idea would show some other information about the person or their phone:
    Has the G1 or the G2. Or has a different Android device.
    Whether the phone runs on Android 1.0 or 1.1.
    If the phone has the same game/app installed as you, and a prompt alerts you to the fact, so you can share your opinions on it.
  12. freedomflyer

For sure. In all reality (with that "Wertago" app), who REALLY uses this, other than a few casual try-and-get-bored attempts? Who of your friends is also hanging out at a bar, with a smartphone, albeit one capable of this, that you don't know about, and you want to coordinate plans with MULTIPLE people? I personally don't think it would be practical to have some 3rd party app to coordinate friends unless it is the de-facto standard.
  13. OrganizedFellow

Send a SMS to Bobby. Is Bobby hanging out with Terry?
    Cool, hery Bobby, tell Terry he owes me a beer!

right?

It's that simple.
    However, it would be cool to send mass SMS!
  14. pestilence

pestilence Well-Known Member

@organizedFellow:

Nobody needs to record the layout of every store and the location of every product in it. If the user orders their regular shopping list by aisle manually once, and then scans each item in the order they are picked up, it would be trivially easy to rearrange the items manually after the fact. Once the app is trained for a while, the user would find himself seldom if ever manually arranging the locations and the app would 'just work'. Even better if the user took a second to get a gps fix outside the store after making a big purchase, the app would know where certain products come from and could alert the user (or a member of their family) when they happen to be close to a place where something is currently active in their shopping list.
  15. ram100987

ram100987 Well-Known Member

Sorry this was from way at the top of the thread but I really haven't been keeping up with it. I know the shop savvy will allow you to scan barcodes and give you info and price from many different stores, but one thing that he said that I don't remember shop savvy saying it would do is give prices for only NEARBY stores. If I need to buy..... a hard drive, and so I scanned it and shop savvy told me compusa had the same hard drive for half the price than the store I'm at now, that's great, but since most of the CompUSAs have closed, the closest one is a long drive away. It would nice to be told prices ONLY from NEARBY stores. This could be a feature added to shop savvy in the future, or maybe it's already capable of this and I just haven't heard about it, but this is a key feature that Hodges said that makes it a much more useful program than shop savvy already will be.
  16. johnkzin

Database of UPC codes ... where is Shop Savvy getting theirs? Clearly the information is out there, and this is just yet another mashup.

Order within the store ... could be a similar database, or could be a personal preference, where the application notices that for a given store you always put the milk before the detergent, therefore whenever your shopping list contains both milk and detergent, it orders it such that the milk is earlier than the detergent. Over time, you build up enough of these relationships, and the correct ordering of the entire list will fall into place.

Frankly (don't get offended), but your example is a perfect illustration of how it's a waste of our (the customer's) time, and purely for your (the retailer's) benefit. I don't care what aisle placement allows a given product to "sell best". That's a retailers goal.

I care about finding products (all of them, not just the ones that the retailer is trying to move off the shelves), and not wasting my time trying to figure out where the idiot store manager moved something just because he needs to jump through hoops to justify his wage, and/or try to move a little more product.

Aaah. The truth comes out. You're a luddite. You're the voice of the "unfrozen caveman shopper". It's as if you're just going on about "your strange and confusing blinky lights and automation products anger me!"

It's ok Mr. Caveman, let those of us who like automation products talk about what things would help save us some time and effort when we're tracking $300+ grocery bills with a huge shopping cart full of products. You can stick to managing your 4 product trips with your chisel and stone tablet.

Let those of us who are in the 21st century discuss how to move beyond that level of sophistication. Don't worry, no one will force you to abandon your stone tablet.

Though, I AM curious why a luddite would hang out on any web forum, much less an android focused one.
  17. freedomflyer

It's probably a reality if a developer wanted to make it one. It would probably be a sizeable application, but would prove very useful. I know that when I toy around with a few on my computer, they just don't seem that useful unless I was somehow disabled.
    However, on a mobile device it could prove more useful due to the fact that you don't need some big clunky machine in front of you. The mobile device (G1 at this point), could almost act as a personal memo machine, and could be scaled all the way up to a full on text-by-voice entry machine.
  18. freedomflyer

I didn't know people could get so worked up over groceries! Let's keep it real, people!
    On a lighter note, I have an app idea that has been talked about elsewhere on the forum. A user asked if the G1 was able to switch between 2G and 3G networks. Another user confirmed that this was possible with the G1.
    I propose an app to very quickly switch between the 2 networks. Something like a long press on a physical button somewhere on the device. This could function similarly to a laptop being able to flip a physical switch to alternate GPUs.
    That way, when I'm emailing, calendaring, contacting, calling, etc...I can use 2G. 3G really isn't necessary, and goes unnoticed. But when I want to YouTube and DL apps I can long press a button and turn my 3G on.
    meh?
  19. DavidDB

DavidDB Member

Lost In Space

The saddest thing ever is to be parted from a dear friend unexpectedly, one moment your trusty ANDROID is by your side speeding through the countryside or sharing a few moments of free wifi at a coffee bar - a blink of an eye or a distraction and your suddenly you find yourself completely alone.

I LOST MY ANDROID
  20. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

It's coming. Watch for FlashParty.
  21. jakeasdel

jakeasdel New Member

How About Icopter, but since its android we can just call it Copter :p
  22. medication

medication New Member

23. Renge

Renge Member

Personally, I'd make an app that would be able to stream Netflix. That would be awesome.
  24. cNo7

cNo7 Well-Known Member

IMDB app.

i can't tell you how many times I wanna look up someone's name in a movie I'm watching...or if i hear a quote and try to recall what flick it's from.

plus it could show upcoming movies, new movie reviews, etc. etc.