• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Data Usage!

My usage has been sporadic since I started messing around with custom roms. One thing for certain though is that I was pulling more data with the stock HTC Sense rom. I can't pull up my billing cycle because I changed over to the 2gb Pro Data plan but when I first got my phone the day before launch, I pulled in about 130MB the 1st day. This was with everything syncing, (HTC, Google), online poker, pandora, youtubeing and heavy browsing. I have since adjusted my pattern and I average around 30 - 34MB daily.

Now that I'm running CyanogenMod 7, since Feb 25th, I have used 78.03MB. Today I'm at 10.54MB. There's wifi at work but the reception doesn't reach my office, so unless I sneak to the staircase to grab wifi for a quick download I'm usually running 9hrs data throughout the day and then switch to wifi when I get home. I would consider myself a middle/heavy user. It seems like I'm always browsing the Web.

I would guesstimate that I'm in the 450 - 500MB range of 2GB. Once my billing rolls over I'll be able to monitor it through the My AT&T app.

Upvote 0
1.5 gb network
9.67 gb wifi
11,256 txt

I hope you realize "unlimited" is still soft capped at 5GB? While they may not charge you or do anything now they contractually have every right to cancel your data plan if your usage is "excessive" (its their definition of excessive not yours) and/or charge you for anything above 5GB/month.

That said, i'm not that far behind you.. 901mb as if today.

This is all in the fine print that no one but me usually reads :p:eek:

Upvote 0
I'm not on an Android yet but for the month of February I used 8883.7 MB on my BB Bold 9700. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And no, I am NOT tethering or watching/downloading videos (who would want to on a BB?). This is purely some random web browsing following by 9+ hours a day/5 days a week of Slacker Radio/Sirius radio streaming. Plus an additional 1.5-2 hours of music streaming while I walk my dogs on Saturday and Sunday as well. :D

Upvote 0
I'm not on an Android yet but for the month of February I used 8883.7 MB on my BB Bold 9700. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And no, I am NOT tethering or watching/downloading videos (who would want to on a BB?). This is purely some random web browsing following by 9+ hours a day/5 days a week of Slacker Radio/Sirius radio streaming. Plus an additional 1.5-2 hours of music streaming while I walk my dogs on Saturday and Sunday as well. :D

i sure hope you have unlimited usage, with that big, green, smug happy face at the end of your post...

Upvote 0

Whoa! That's a lot of music streaming!!:eek: After I get headphones tonight, I think I will be doing some streaming of my own, too.

Upvote 0
do you do streaming of any kind?

Oh yea I stream videos through the browser a lot plus youtube and pandora.

Hell this is why we have the phone. The whole point is to enjoy it to its fullest, plus my new cycle begins in 5 days anyway LOL

PS. I also stream free movies through Amazon with my Prime membership.

... and tether my ipod so I can watch Netflix.

... that's all though ;)

Upvote 0
Oh yea I stream videos through the browser a lot plus youtube and pandora.

Hell this is why we have the phone. The whole point is to enjoy it to its fullest, plus my new cycle begins in 5 days anyway LOL

PS. I also stream free movies through Amazon with my Prime membership.

... and tether my ipod so I can watch Netflix.

... that's all though ;)

nah i wasn't judging, i was just asking cause you seemed surprised at how much you went through. seeing what you do with the phone it makes sense.

Upvote 0
I was using an Aria for a couple months before getting the Inspire, so I have plenty of data usage to review online. Despite using Slacker for nearly 6 hours every day at work, I would always come close to 2gb but never go over.

So I made the seriously dumb decision to drop down to the 2gb max from the unlimited I had. I know, I know, stupid. I regret it now. :(

Although I have everything set-up the same (background sync, apps, etc) and still use Slacker (set to high-quality--I experimented and default quality uses 70%), I'm using a TON more data per day than I ever did before.

I've been listening to Slacker for about 5 hours today and my data total is 352mb!! :eek:

I'm at 1.2gb for the month and only have one more work day in my billing month so I won't go over. But, it looks like Slacker is going to have to be a occasional luxury from now on.

Does "I'm a dumbass and can I please have my unlimited data back" work as an excuse with AT&T? :eek:

Upvote 0
Does "I'm a dumbass and can I please have my unlimited data back" work as an excuse with AT&T? :eek:

I have seen on other forums that saying "I hear Verizon is letting people sign up for unlimited data" has helped. Of course if you are in contract this may not help much, but its worth a shot. When you call AT&T select the "cancel my account/lines" options, that will route you to customer retention. I have had best results with them over the standard AT&T Business Care folks.

It can't hurt to try, the worst case scenario is you are stuck with the 2GB data plan you switched to :)

Upvote 0
there's no way that can work....... can it?

From what I've read, it works because the iPhone 2G plans are a completely different code, and were not adjusted with the new data rates. So unless AT&T changes them, or adds an exception to not allow it, it should work fine. Once you have unlimited then switch over the Inspire and request that you keep your grandfathered plan. New and current customers have claimed that the loophole works.

If i had a 2G iphone , I'd try it LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones