Post Your Tips for the Bionic HereTips

Last Updated:

1. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

You can copy them on an un-root-ed Bionic using Astro File Manager copying from ...

\system\media\audio\ringtones

I copied it to the SD-Ext card to test it. When a copy of the folder is on the SD-Ext card you can access it from your computer.

They are .ogg files. I play them with Roxio Creator 2011 Pro.)

The folder is not accessible using the Files app. I use Astro File Manager Pro but from the documentation it should also work in Astro File Manager.

... Thom

Advertisement
  2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I've been looking for this. I wanted to move the download folder from internal to external so downloaded zips would not have to be seperately moved to external so recovery could see to install them. Copy and paste seems to work to do this too. I suppose it is safe to remove the download folder from internal once it is showing in external? Actually mine does not show a move option (Astro), but paste seemed to work.
  3. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I do not know the implications of deleting any of the folders. It will vary on a case-by-case basis. In some cases when you delete a folder it will be re-created the next time the app is run.

... Thom
  4. John_Roger

John_Roger Well-Known Member

Download failed, hmmm!
  5. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

IF this is refereeing to ... MotoFMRadio.apk ... I just downloaded it again without problem.

Do you have ...

Settings | Applications | Unknown sources

... turned on?
  6. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Helpful tip for video users ...

... Thom
  7. John_Roger

John_Roger Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have that turned out. I got it from another source and it worked? Strange....
  8. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Suggestion from ... Slomo26 ...

To get the OTA pushed to you automatically go to ...

Settings | Battery & data management | Data delivery | Social applications

Make sure Sync over Wi-Fi only is Off
    Then Power Off
    Then Power On

... Thom
  9. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

There is confusion about Bionic Resets. One is not a big deal - Reset. The other is a very big deal - Factory Data Reset.

Reset (sometimes called a soft reset) (sometimes called a battery pull) ...

With power On hold down volume Up/Volume Down/Power at the same time. After a few seconds a menu appears. Keep holding them all down. When the menu disappears release all the buttons. You can see that it then starts to boot up.

An alternative that achieves the same end is to take off the back, remove the battery, replace the battery, replace the cover, turn the Bionic back on. (When the battery is out, check that the SD-Ext card and SIM card are squarely and firmly seated.

Factory Data Reset (sometimes called a hard reset) ... a Factory Data Reset is a BIG DEAL and I would only do a Factory Reset if I was inches away from getting the phone replaced. A Factory Data Reset is going to erase all the data on your phone and you are going to have to reenter it. If you turn the phone in or sell it a Factory Data Reset is a good thing to do just before you turn it over.

With power Off hold down volume Up/Volume Down/Power at the same time
    A Factory data reset screen appears
    Select Reset
    Select Erase everything

An alternative that achieves the same end is to
    Select Settings | Privacy | Factory data reset
    Select Reset
    Select Erase everything

... Thom
    lightlover and Gasjake like this.
  10. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

Thom Little,

I just want to thank you for taking the time kept this post up to date with great tips. I have found alot of your post her very useful, not only for my bionic but also for my Xoom.

Thanks again,

Dan
    Duckster likes this.
  11. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

And thanks for your contributions. Everyone contributing is what it is all about and what makes it work.

Nifty.

Happy holidays.

... Thom
  12. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

There are two options:

Opion 1:
    Enter 6035551234
    Then hit Settings | Add pause
    Then enter 1111
    It will look like 603-555-1234,1111 and take to to extension 1111

If you make the call it will dial the number, wait two seconds, and send the extension
    (Add more commas if longer pause is needed ... two seconds will be added for each.)

It also works for sending passwords ... like ...
    603-555-1234,8888 where 8888 is the password or
    *86,8888#1 where 8888 is the password and it checks if there are any messages

Option 2:
    Enter 6035551234
    Then hit Settings | Add wait
    Then enter 1111
    It will look like 603-555-1234;1111

If you make the call it will dial the number and wait until you respond.
    After you respond it will then send the extension

It also works for sending passwords ... like ...
    603-555-1234;8888 where 8888 is the password or
    *86;8888#1 where 8888 is the password and it checks if there are any messages

... Thom
  13. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

There are two different subjects here and two different menus.

If power is on and you hold down Volume Up/Volume Down/Power the Phone options menu will appear. If you continue holding the three switches until the menu disappears it will start to boot. (This reset and then boot is identical to a battery pull followed by a powe on.)

If power is off and you hold down Volume Up/Volume Down/Power the Boot Mode Selection Menu will appear (displayed in character mode).

Boot Mode Selection Menu
    Vol Up Selects, Vol Down Scrolls

Normal Powerup -- boot the Bionic
    Recovery -- display (!) screen (then hold down vol Up/vol Down for Android System Recovery menu)
    AP Fastboot -- developers only
    BP SBF Flash -- developers only
    BP Only -- developers only
    BP HW Diag & Boot AP -- developers only
    BP Tools -- developers only

If you do anything with this menu you open the door to causing permanent damage. This is sometimes referred to as BRICKing.

If you do nothing after a few seconds it will choose the current option (Normal Powerup) and boot your Bionic.

... Thom
  14. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

If you have new ringtones installed and selected and are connected to a computer by USB the tone you hear will be the default and not the one you selected.

When connected in USB Mass Storage mode neither the SD card nor the SD-Ext card will be available on the Bionic side.

No mater which card contains the ringtones they will not be available. As a result you will get the default ringtone.

(The Files app shows SD card as Internal phone storage and SD-Ext card as SD Card [don't kill the messenger].)

... Thom
  15. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Some help perhaps ...

... Thom
  16. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Returning from a selected Google Search page goes back too far ...

... Thom
  17. Andrstein

Andrstein Member

A quick tip along the same lines of holding down all 3 buttons. Once holding down all 3 buttons- as soon as the screen goes black (after the menu prompt disappears) let go of buttons and immediately and quickly hold them down again. You will catch it as it is booting down and it will then boot up directly into the "Boot Mode Selection Menu".
  18. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Whenever you boot your Bionic ...
    At the very end ... a notification sound is heard twice.

To turn them off ... go to Settings | Sound when on the Home screen
    Un-check SD card notifications

... Thom
  19. PhoebeAnn

PhoebeAnn Member

When I connect my Bionic to a Windows 7 PC, I see 2 drives:

1) CD Drive (F) Motorola - 8.25MB, contains MotoHelper, whatever that is.
    2) MOT (L) - 8GB, 53.9 MB used.

No mention of SD-Ext or SD. What am I doing wrong or not understanding?
  20. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Use the steps documented in ... Connect Bionic to Windows 7 with USB Cable.

My guess is that you need to set USB Mass Storage and have it currently set to something else.

What you will see in Windows is two Drives ... one is the SD Card and the other is the SD-Ext card. Using Windows you can set the names to whatever makes sense to you. I chose BIONIC SD and BIONIC SD-E on my stock Bionic.

They were always assigned in the same order on my machine

8.00GB total = SD Card (not removable) (my rename BIONIC SD)
    14.8GB total = SD-Ext Card (removable) (my rename BIONIC SD-E)

... Thom
  21. PhoebeAnn

PhoebeAnn Member

That's how I connected. Now that I know those names aren't defaults, I looked a little closer, and found the G: drive looks to be the SD-EXT, since it's 16GB or so, but with no volume name, it didn't look like anything was connected. It has one (empty) folder on it (LOST.DIR). I'll try renaming the 8GB and 16GB volumes and see if anything breaks. Still no idea where the "CD DRIVE F:" came from.

Aslo, it looks like I have to Eject all 3 drives when I'm through.

Attached Files:

22. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Moved to a new thread.

... Thom
  23. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

I believe until you save something else on your removable SD card the only thing that will be there is the LOST.DIR.
  24. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

25. shanny871

shanny871 Well-Known Member

I tried this a couple times with a failed install, are there any other ideas how to get this fm radio?