• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Tips for the Bionic Here

I tried this a couple times with a failed install, are there any other ideas how to get this fm radio?

I don't knwo what you are doing. Two minutes ago I downloaded copy from ... FM Radio Tuner ... using my PC. That was the link in the original message.

Once it is on your PC you can transfer it to your Bionic.

... Thom

Reactions: shanny871
Upvote 0
From your PC ... click on the link ... tell it to download to your desktop.

Connect the Bionic to USB to Windows 7.
There is a network logo at the top of the Bionic screen.
Pull down the notifications menu.
Select USB Connection.
Select USB Mass Storage.
Select OK.

Look at the Hard Disk devices on Windows 7.
There should be two Bionic related Icons.
If there is only one (for the SD-EXT card) ...
With the Bionic still connected ... power the Bionic Off.
Power the Bionic On.
There should now be two Bionic hard disk devices ... if there aren't
With the Bionic still connected ...
Hold down the Volume Up/Volume Down/Power buttons until the menu appears and then disappears.
This will do a soft reset ... when you are powered back up you should have access to both drives.

On the PC ... copy the file from your PC to either your SD or SD-Ext card and remember the location.

Disconnect your Bionic from your PC. (You will find that neither SD nor SD-Ext can be accessed from the Bionic side when connected.)

Using the Files app, locate the file that you copied over and click on it. The Files app uses the names ...
-- Internal phone storage for SD card
-- SD card for SD-Ext card
It will ask if you want to install it ... click Install.

If you open the App Menu you will see an Icon for FM Radio.

(To use the FM Radio app You must attach a wired headset because it uses the wire for an antenna.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
When you dial your voicemail, you are then asked to input your password, followed by the # symbol.

In the Eris forum, there used to be instructions for what to do to include your password as part of the initial dial in. In other words, you could hit voicemail and when it asked for your password, it would automatically be dialed. It worked great.

I can't remember the author of the post, but the instructions were to add "PXXXX#" where the XXXX is your password...disregarding the quote symbols, of course.

I've tried this with the Bionic and it doesn't seem to take. The system still keeps asking for the password. I had assumed that the "P" was meant for a pause. The Bionic doesn't give you letter values, or I couldn't find them anyway. It does give you a pause ability, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have this type of shortcut working?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
When you dial your voicemail, you are then asked to input your password, followed by the # symbol.

In the Eris forum, there used to be instructions for what to do to include your password as part of the initial dial in. In other words, you could hit voicemail and when it asked for your password, it would automatically be dialed. It worked great.

I can't remember the author of the post, but the instructions were to add "PXXXX#" where the XXXX is your password...disregarding the quote symbols, of course.

I've tried this with the Bionic and it doesn't seem to take. The system still keeps asking for the password. I had assumed that the "P" was meant for a pause. The Bionic doesn't give you letter values, or I couldn't find them anyway. It does give you a pause ability, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks.

I'm using *86,xxxx#1 where xxxx is my password. The #1 part automatically starts playing the first new/unheard message.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

Go to settings-call settings-voicemail settings then after *86 add pause pause your password and then OK. pause is under the *#( menu

Upvote 0
Go to settings-call settings-voicemail settings then after *86 add pause pause your password and then OK. pause is under the *#( menu

That works fine, but I've somehow got 2 "voicemails". Under "Voicemail" in Contacts, there's a "Call work" and a "Call mobile". Not sure where the "Call work" came from, but the edit above can only be performed on the "Call work" number -- Verizon does not allow you to edit its built-in voicemail contact number (which I guess is "Voicemail"), and it's not obvious that I can change the target of the home page icon to the "work" voicemail. When I go to "Set default voicemail" all that's available is "Voicemail", and "Visual Voice Mail". "Work" doesn't appear.

Upvote 0
To create an icon on your homepage to call VoiceMail / pass the password / signal "1" to check for new voicemails ...

Create an entry like #VM in your contacts and give it a number like *86,1234#1 where 1234 is the password

On the homepage long press until a menu appears
Select Shortcuts
Select Direct dial
Select #VM

You now have an icon on your homepage that will call voicemail, enter your password, and check for new voicemails.

... Thom

Upvote 0
If you just can't wait for the release of production 5.9.901 (or 5.9.902) you could choose to install the 5.9.901 leaked OTA. Before you do ... consider the implications ...

-- There are no guarantees.
-- 5.9.901 leaked OTA is NOT SUPPORTED by Verizon or Motorola.
-- There may be extra work to get back on the production path after you have installed 5.9.901 leaked OTA.
-- It may delay your installation of production 5.9.901 (or 5.9.902) after they are released.
-- Production 5.9.901 (or 5.9.902) may not be pushed to you until you revert back to 5.5.893.

If you still want to do it ... thanks to ... SirEagle for the instructions at ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...fer-fix-my-bionic-problems-3.html#post3838415.

I haven't installed either and take no responsibility for your actions.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I learned about this in another Android forum and tried it out.

Verizon apparently sets the default service option to EVRC and you can set it to EVRC-B to get better coverage. Some people think it increases battery drain. I have seen nothing definitive about that opinion.

Would this be better coverage on the 3G or 4G network. I'm a little hesitant about messing with stuff, but after looking at Verizon's 3/4G coverage area, I see I am on the line of 3 to 4G at my home. Phone runs in 3G, so if this could ump me up to the 4 at home, I'd do it.

(Or I suppose I could just stop whining and do it and see what happens, huh? lol)

Upvote 0
Would this be better coverage on the 3G or 4G network. I'm a little hesitant about messing with stuff, but after looking at Verizon's 3/4G coverage area, I see I am on the line of 3 to 4G at my home. Phone runs in 3G, so if this could ump me up to the 4 at home, I'd do it. (Or I suppose I could just stop whining and do it and see what happens, huh? lol)

It is something you can experiment with. See the thread ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...gave-no-time-frame-fixing.html?highlight=EVRC ... for some more information.

The down side is that if it helps it is reset when you power off/power on and you have to set it again.

... Thom

Upvote 0
(Disclaimer - perform this process at your own risk - you assume total responsibility)

PowerBomb and niel154 did this to flash the 5.9.902 update from recovery as the only way to get it installed.

Copy the 5.9.902 update file to the SD-Ext card (root of the SD-Ext card is the easiest)
Power off Bionic

Hold down Volume Up/Volume Down/Power at the same time until a menu appears
Press Volume Down once to highlight Recovery
Press Volume Up to select

When the Android appears
Press Volume Up/Volume Down at the same time

When the list appears
Press Volume Down once to highlight apply update from sdcard
Press Power to select

When the SD-Ext directory structure appears
Press Volume Down to highlight zip file or folder contain the zip file
Repeat this process until zip file is finally highlighted
Press Power to start installation

niel154 and Somniferum report flashing this way with no negative impact on the user data stored on their SD or SD-Ext cards.

(Disclaimer - perform this process at your own risk - you assume total responsibility)

... Thom

Upvote 0
For testing you can force the Bionic into 4G-only but you will no longer have voice service.

Go to Phone | Dialer
Enter ##program (##7764726)
Select send
Enter 000000 (six zeros)
Select Verify
Select 06 Test mode"
Select Next at the bottom twice
In Network Mode select LTE only
Select Home
When you return to the home screen, it may cause your phone to reboot.

You can exit this mode by ...
Go to Menu | Settings | Wireless & network settings | Mobile networks | Network mode
Select either value

I am in a 3G-Only area. This technique was verified by Telstar_2112 (thank you).

The other options in the Hidden Menu can be very dangerous. Don't change any.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I haven't rooted, so I have to find alternative solutions. Battery Monitor Widget monitors your battery and gives accurate battery readings (1% as opposed to the Bionic's 10% increments). No root needed. Has a nice variety of notification icons and widget options to choose from.

Also, there is an app called 'Battery Left' which has beautiful, glossy, widgets and once you calibrate the widget to your battery it is very accurate and reads in 1% increments

Upvote 0
From your PC ... click on the link ... tell it to download to your desktop.

Connect the Bionic to USB to Windows 7.
There is a network logo at the top of the Bionic screen.
Pull down the notifications menu.
Select USB Connection.
Select USB Mass Storage.
Select OK.

Look at the Hard Disk devices on Windows 7.
There should be two Bionic related Icons.
If there is only one (for the SD-EXT card) ...
With the Bionic still connected ... power the Bionic Off.
Power the Bionic On.
There should now be two Bionic hard disk devices ... if there aren't
With the Bionic still connected ...
Hold down the Volume Up/Volume Down/Power buttons until the menu appears and then disappears.
This will do a soft reset ... when you are powered back up you should have access to both drives.

On the PC ... copy the file from your PC to either your SD or SD-Ext card and remember the location.

Disconnect your Bionic from your PC. (You will find that neither SD nor SD-Ext can be accessed from the Bionic side when connected.)

Using the Files app, locate the file that you copied over and click on it. The Files app uses the names ...
-- Internal phone storage for SD card
-- SD card for SD-Ext card
It will ask if you want to install it ... click Install.

If you open the App Menu you will see an Icon for FM Radio.

(To use the FM Radio app You must attach a wired headset because it uses the wire for an antenna.)

... Thom
everything went perfect untill the end when i look in my app drawer for the fm radio app. i dont see it. any ideas?
EDIT:
figured it out. The link you provided downloads a .zip file. I tried another download site and it gave me a .apk file and it works.

Upvote 0
everything went perfect untill the end when i look in my app drawer for the fm radio app. i dont see it. any ideas?
EDIT:
figured it out. The link you provided downloads a .zip file. I tried another download site and it gave me a .apk file and it works.

I revised the original message with an updated link that points to the .apk file.

... Thom

Upvote 0
When I connect my phone to my computer via USB, I can see all my pictures in the DCIM/Camera folder. the first lot look ok, but after a certain date, they are showing as "not valid image" even though they are .jpg.
When viewed on the phone, they are fine.

PLEASE help!!! I have a new baby and this is ALL the pics of him from the last few months. :(

Thank you.

Upvote 0
There is another Bionic hidden menu ...

Select Phone icon
Select Dialer
Enter *#*#4636#*#*
Proceed at your own risk (see below).

Thanks to D-U-R-X for finding this.

The term we always used was "shoot yourself in the foot". You can easily do that by changing the information in ANY of the hidden menus. One example was reported in ... Help! Lost SMSC Using "Phone Info" in AnyCut - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com ... thanks to FulltimeTravler for finding it.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones