Potential android user,but a little confused about gps

Last Updated:

1. cmfrtblynmb

cmfrtblynmb Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all

I am planning to buy an android phone (samsung captivate). I am quite familiar with iphone environment (I have an ipad and i love it), I don't know much about android but since I am also a linux user, I want to get an android as my smartphone

Here is my question: I will buy this phone with the cheapest data plan(200 mb of data use). I am always in places where wi-fi is available. I just need 3g for urgencies

On the other hand I need gps and I happen to know when turn by turn navigation by google is used, a lot of data traffic is needed, since maps are downloaded in real time. I used a nokia 5230 before, and it used 30 mbs of data in a couple of hours I used its GPS function! The good thing was with that phone you could download maps and put them on 5230, but this is not possible with google maps app on android-though it has caching ability, it is very limited and it is not what i am looking for.

What I am asking for is the availability of a stand alone gps app, like tomtom on iphone. I am planning to turn 3g off on this device(I think there are some apps that do this), and I need a program that will rely on gps chip on device and gsm only. I am not willing to pay subscription fees as well, but a reasonable one time fee is OK.

Is there anything close to what i am talking about on android platform ?

Thanks for help, I apologize if this comment was not meant to be on this part of the forum. I will also post the same thing on captivate forum as well, I am sorry for this as well :)

Thnx again

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Welcome aboard!

I don't have any clue as I'm not on Att and I also have an unlimited data plan. I see that you also posted your question in the appropriate forum though, hopefully they'll be able to help you out :)

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  3. mmarquis

mmarquis New Member

Many issues.
    Currently the Captivate GPS is very problematic. Many users report poor GPS acquisition/retention. There are some fixes on the web, but not all users find them to work. Samsung claims to be aware of the issue and promises a fix in September. Only time will tell.
    As far as a GPS app that will run on EDGE/2G, you might not be very pleased. I have used Google Navigate (NOT Google Maps) and it is very download intensive because of its voice prompts. You might miss a turn because of a late prompt. If you can forgo the voice prompts Google Maps worked fine on my old Blackberry Bold 9300. The Bold had a very good GPS function.

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  4. cmfrtblynmb

5. cmfrtblynmb

Uh also someone else pointed this app as well : copilot. I will look at the reviews and then make my mind.

6. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

I use the free application Andnav2, but you can't use it as a navigation system without data, only maps (I don't even have a Data plan). However I heard that Sygic is great, but I didn't buy it.

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  7. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! Thank you for registering. :)

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  8. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Hi - Welcome to the Android forums - Cheers ;)

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  9. HTC-Fandroid

HTC-Fandroid Well-Known Member

Hi mate and welcome on board. Glad you've joined us. :)

HTC-F

cmfrtblynmb likes this.