• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power button broken?

My power button is broken but I'm not sure it's the power button because I somewhat opened it there is a stripped screw so the volume side doesn't come off. When i put a battery in it turns on automatically and i even removed the power button from the motherboard little power button & tried pressing that power button

This is an -old- post, but I'll reply anyway. I'm sure lots of others have seen this same problem.

Yes, your symptom (powers on as soon as the battery is installed) does sound like a bad power switch. Seems to be a common problem with Samsung phones.

If you don't have insurance coverage and are out of warranty, you can replace the switch yourself. Several ebay sellers offer replacement switches for the Captivate SGH-i897 (for about ten bucks):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sgh-i897+power+switch

Or for about $40, you can ship your phone off and have it repaired:
AT&T Captivate Fix Power Switch Samsung SGH i897 Galaxy s Button Repair Service | eBay
Power Button Repair Samsung Galaxy s Galaxy s II Galaxy Note More | eBay

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones