Power button dead - Stuck on splash screen

Last Updated:

1. equinox74

equinox74 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

I have a bit of a problem that I figure I won't be able to get past. My Desire had some water damage, and since, the only part that isn't working is the power button. It wasn't really an issue as I found an app that put it into standby instantly, and through the ROM app, could boot into recovery etc.

However, I applied a flash without thinking about what would happen if if failed to boot... Of course, it did just that. Now it wont go past the splash screen. Of course, I can't get it into recovery mode because the power button doesn't work.

Is there an alternative way?

I can't claim warranty because:

1) It has water damage (the litmus stickers have changed to a nice pink colour)
    2) It has been rooted...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Try installing an ruu rom on your phone, this should unroot the phone & turn it to stock.
    Now you can try a warranty repair by claiming you got caught in a downpour which got you drenched along with your phone.

3. equinox74

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, HTC Sync doesn't recognise the device (even if I try taking out the battery & plugging it back in.... As it doesn't even boot, I'm not sure it is even being recognised as an Android device?
    :(

4. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

You already did some damage by turning it on again while it's still wet, and you won't get any warranty since the stickers changed. I think you're simply boned with this phone, I doubt an RUU flash will fix it.

A bowl of dried rice can fix a wet device provided you stop using it after it got wet.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

...and put it in the rice immediately.

Never tried it though

6. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

It does work, soaked my Palm Pilot 10 years ago in a deep puddle and I disassembled the bodies and burried it in a bowl of rice and a week later it was working like new.

It's a bad idea to use WD40 or methylene spirits.

7. equinox74

Yeah I figured as much. The water damage happened 2 weeks ago.... All functions on the phone work fine, other than the power button which is a shame. There is no condensation or anything visible in the screen etc & all other buttons work OK / phone calls / wifi / GPS camera etc.

I might take it to the repairers to see what the charge is for replacing the power button (massively expensive I figure)....

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Unfortunately, water.is corrosive. It takes time but may get worse gradually.

Some places will refuse to look at it but. Some may

9. equinox74

Appreciate the help people all the same
    :)