• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power button is too sensitive

dlee1001

Jun 2, 2011
I just discovered this today. As I was listening to some music on the phone, I tried to lock the screen. But even when I put my finger on the power key and not actually press down on it, the phone options would show. Then all of a sudden, the phone rebooted. It thought that I was holding down the power button when I didn't.

I did a factory reset to see if that solved the problem, but it didn't. Now even just tapping the power button lightly without pressing it can lock and unlock the phone, and it can sometimes reboot the phone itself. When it does reboot, it loops at the Samsung logo, so the phone would turn itself on and off several times while at the logo. After a few times of that, it would finally get its act together and reboot correctly.

I can replicate this problem very easily, and it worries me a lot because I can't use the phone efficiently in this condition; I don't think it's ever happened before. If I get the phone replaced with a new one out of the box, wouldn't I have to pay full retail price for it?

There was quite a bit of some yellow substance that was stuck in the cracks of the power button and the chassis of the phone. Thinking that might be the problem, I cleaned them off, but the problem still exists.

Does anyone have this problem I have? How can it be fixed? Please, this is important to me. I need answers.

BTW, I am on completely stock FROYO.UCKH1.

I just discovered this today. As I was listening to some music on the phone, I tried to lock the screen. But even when I put my finger on the power key and not actually press down on it, the phone options would show. Then all of a sudden, the phone rebooted. It thought that I was holding down the power button when I didn't.

I did a factory reset to see if that solved the problem, but it didn't. Now even just tapping the power button lightly without pressing it can lock and unlock the phone, and it can sometimes reboot the phone itself. When it does reboot, it loops at the Samsung logo, so the phone would turn itself on and off several times while at the logo. After a few times of that, it would finally get its act together and reboot correctly.

I can replicate this problem very easily, and it worries me a lot because I can't use the phone efficiently in this condition; I don't think it's ever happened before. If I get the phone replaced with a new one out of the box, wouldn't I have to pay full retail price for it?

There was quite a bit of some yellow substance that was stuck in the cracks of the power button and the chassis of the phone. Thinking that might be the problem, I cleaned them off, but the problem still exists.

Does anyone have this problem I have? How can it be fixed? Please, this is important to me. I need answers.

BTW, I am on completely stock FROYO.UCKH1.

My power button is slightly on the sensitive side, but not anywhere near close to being an issue.

It definitely sounds like something completely hardware related, so I don't think there's much you can do. You do know that you're under repair warranty for up to 1 year after you bought your phone, right? That's even if you didn't pay for any insurance.

If you call AT&T, they'll most likely send you a refurbished replacement at no cost. However, if you have any scratches or physical/water damage on the phone, they will charge you full price (which is a monstrous $600 or so).

I'd definitely give them a call though. They tried to send me a refurb even when I called just about the frequent reboots it was doing (when I was on UCKH1).

Upvote 0
My power button is slightly on the sensitive side, but not anywhere near close to being an issue.

It definitely sounds like something completely hardware related, so I don't think there's much you can do. You do know that you're under repair warranty for up to 1 year after you bought your phone, right? That's even if you didn't pay for any insurance.

If you call AT&T, they'll most likely send you a refurbished replacement at no cost. However, if you have any scratches or physical/water damage on the phone, they will charge you full price (which is a monstrous $600 or so).

I'd definitely give them a call though. They tried to send me a refurb even when I called just about the frequent reboots it was doing (when I was on UCKH1).

Oh, OK. I was about to go nuts about the crazy price that I was afraid that I had to pay. What if I just get a new phone, like the Galaxy SII? I'm still in the AT&T contract; if I get that phone, would I pay full retail price for that? AT&T says that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next January.

My only gripe about the warranty replacement is getting a refurbished phone after returning a new one. Well, if I do end up getting a refurbished Infuse, it better come with UCKH1 and it better NOT have this power button problem.

But regarding the phone itself, it's going crazy right now. It would just randomly reboot itself even when I'm using it, all because of that power button. When it reboots like that, it would go in a loop, never going past the Samsung logo. This is unacceptable, and it makes the phone almost unusable.

Upvote 0
Oh, OK. I was about to go nuts about the crazy price that I was afraid that I had to pay. What if I just get a new phone, like the Galaxy SII? I'm still in the AT&T contract; if I get that phone, would I pay full retail price for that? AT&T says that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next January.

My only gripe about the warranty replacement is getting a refurbished phone after returning a new one. Well, if I do end up getting a refurbished Infuse, it better come with UCKH1 and it better NOT have this power button problem.

But regarding the phone itself, it's going crazy right now. It would just randomly reboot itself even when I'm using it, all because of that power button. When it reboots like that, it would go in a loop, never going past the Samsung logo. This is unacceptable, and it makes the phone almost unusable.

Yeah, no, that sounds like you definitely need a replacement. I was getting automatic reboots (and random turn-offs), but for me, it wasn't the button, it was just how UCKH1 was deciding to be buggy on me.

Anyhow, you can't upgrade to the SII for the $100 tag because you're not eligible. They'll charge you full price, which is around $700.

There have been anecdotes of people who kept calling AT&T and telling them that their replaced refurbished phones are also having issues. Apparently, after 3 times replacing your phone, they'll just upgrade you to an SII Skyrocket. However, I'd highly not suggest trying that since 1) it's kind of morally unethical, 2) if you get caught, they might penalize you and charge full price, 3) replacing your phone 3 times is a pain in the @$$.

Upvote 0
Yeah, no, that sounds like you definitely need a replacement. I was getting automatic reboots (and random turn-offs), but for me, it wasn't the button, it was just how UCKH1 was deciding to be buggy on me.

Anyhow, you can't upgrade to the SII for the $100 tag because you're not eligible. They'll charge you full price, which is around $700.

There have been anecdotes of people who kept calling AT&T and telling them that their replaced refurbished phones are also having issues. Apparently, after 3 times replacing your phone, they'll just upgrade you to an SII Skyrocket. However, I'd highly not suggest trying that since 1) it's kind of morally unethical, 2) if you get caught, they might penalize you and charge full price, 3) replacing your phone 3 times is a pain in the @$$.

I'll have to deal with this for about a week or so because I won't have a chance to go to an AT&T device support center until at least that time. But once that time comes, I'm going to walk in there and ask for a phone replacement.

Do you know if there is anything I need to bring? Like the phone box and the chargers and everything that came with it?

Upvote 0
I'll have to deal with this for about a week or so because I won't have a chance to go to an AT&T device support center until at least that time. But once that time comes, I'm going to walk in there and ask for a phone replacement.

Do you know if there is anything I need to bring? Like the phone box and the chargers and everything that came with it?

I actually just called their support line and did everything over the phone, so I don't know how it works if you go there directly. You might want to take everything just in case.

Upvote 0
I actually just called their support line and did everything over the phone, so I don't know how it works if you go there directly. You might want to take everything just in case.

My phone is only about 9 months old. I can't believe how fast the power button became so sensitive.

Could something inside the phone that has to do with the power button be loose or dirty be causing the problem?

Upvote 0
My phone is only about 9 months old. I can't believe how fast the power button became so sensitive.

Could something inside the phone that has to do with the power button be loose or dirty be causing the problem?

I don't know, but either way, since it's hardware-based, just give them a call. You shouldn't be having to trying to figure out how to fix the hardware.

Upvote 0
I don't know, but either way, since it's hardware-based, just give them a call. You shouldn't be having to trying to figure out how to fix the hardware.

I'm going to go to a device support center around next week or so and have them tell me what caused the problem. They will probably take the phone apart and tinker with it in such a way that something like this will never happen again. I just hope it won't be too expensive to fix or replace.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones