1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Power Control Widget in Notification Tray?

Last Updated:

1. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tried searching for a thread on this, but if there's a duplicate thread, I apologize.

I have an EVO, and I love it, but I saw on someone's Droid (I think) that they had a power control widget in their notification tray, rather than as a widget on one of the home screens.

Any way I can get this for my EVO?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Its probably an app. There is an app called Power Control, could be that.

3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

There are a few apps out there that will create an ongoing notification that, when opened, will display power controls in a new window. It's not quite the same. I'd recommend quickdesk before using one of those, but you can give it a shot.

However, if you have root, you're in luck. You have three options:
    1) flash CM 6.1. This has exactly what you're looking for, but you'll be switching to AOSP, and will lose 4g and HDMI
    2) flash a MIUI rom, which, in addition to not having 4g and HDMI, is quite a bit different than anything else out there.
    3) stick with any Sense based rom, don't lose any functionality, and flash this or a rom that already has it added:

[PORT][MOD][OFFICIAL] Notification Menu Power Control Widgets for Sense based ROMs - xda-developers

it's basically the notification controls from CM 6.1 that JsChiSurf from xda ported over to sense based roms.

4. Brian Rubin

Oohhhh, thank you, that looks like EXACTLY what I want. Hhmmmmm, I've not flashed a ROM before, but now am curious to try...

5. akazabam

6. Brian Rubin

Oh yes, sorry, should've said I'm already rooted, but I'll look into that too. Doesn't look too difficult, basically put the ZIP file in the CD card's root directory and load it from the recovery screen, right?

7. akazabam

You should read the whole thread/section, but here's the short version:

1) put whatever you want to flash, whether it be a rom or mod, on the root of your sd card (you *can* put it anywhere on the sd card if you're using clockwork, but why bother)
    2) backup apps/app data with something like titanium backup
    3) make a nandroid backup from recovery of your current rom so that you can get back to where you are now
    4) back in recovery, wipe cache, dalvik cache, and data
    5) flash the rom from recovery (it will be a zip file)
    6) reboot phone.

Always wipe data before switching roms. You can get your apps/app data back from the titanium backup. If you're upgrading a rom, flashing a theme, or adding a mod in general, you can probably get away with wiping cache/dalvik cache.

Brian Rubin likes this.
  8. Brian Rubin

Aaahhh, very cool. I think I'll try it when I have a free night. :)