Power cycling daily?

Last Updated:

1. trollitc

trollitc Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone else find themselves having to power cycle their Droid on a daily basis?

I'm still in the honeymoon phase so I do LOTS of stuff on it (add/remove apps, play with stuff, change settings, run lots of apps, etc.) which may have something do to with it.

I find that if I don't power cycle my phone at least once in a 24 hour period, it starts getting very sluggish.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

You're basically clearing cache and what-not. There are apps and built-in tools that could do that for you ... but I don't see the harm in a reboot once a day. Do you?

3. trollitc

trollitc Active Member This Topic's Starter

Nope - not complaining, just wondering if my usage and habits are causing this or if it's a standard action all Droid users do.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I think us guys that are toying with apps constantly (installing, testing, playing, fiddling) :eek: can expect to reboot more than your average bear.

5. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

When you say "having to power cycle"...do you mean you have to because it locks up or something stops working right?

I am very cautious about what apps I download and run. My current uptime is 4 days. I probably do a reboot on average every 5-7 days, and that is usually only because I want to, not because it has frozen up or something.

6. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

I usually go between 115-240 hours before a reboot of any kind, occasionally it's a battery pull. It never automatically rebooted on me, this is all my choice - it's a Blackberry habit I'm trying to break! The droid has only crashed on me twice since I've had it. Once when I was fast forwarding and rewinding a streaming You Tube video over wifi back and forth, back and forth, over and over. It hard locked. The other was when I slid out the keyboard with the browser open and lots of apps open, and got some sort of ".acore" error. It recovered from the error, but I battery pulled and restarted anyway, just in case. -droidosis-

7. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I turn my phone on/off after every overnight charge. I do this because sometimes there are processes the OS is hanging onto in RAM that only gets cleared if you cycle on/off. This goes for any computer and any OS. Other than that, since these phones usually NEVER get turned off (even while charging, it has to be on), I make sure that the phone stays off for at least 30 minutes each day (usually on my drive to work). Other than that, I usually also do one battery pull a week, just to cover all bases :)

8. sooners2win

sooners2win Member

UHhhhhhhhhhh, how do you power cycle?

9. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

I have two batteries for my Droid and alternate between them usually everyday, so in that way I power cycle my Droid usually everyday. I am almost always doing something with my Droid, though, lots of web usage, long phone calls and Tunewiki is almost always on (I use my Droid as a full-blown iPod), so I'm sure I'd have to power cycle anyway. Sometimes I have to because it might hang or do something stupid which a good reboot always solves.