• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Really? You get 3-4 days of use on a stock battery? Do tell how you managed that.

WHAT. TELL YOUR SECRETS NOW.

...please? .

Well, first off, I'll admit I am NOT a heavy user (just "normal" (whatever THAT is ;)))--I do text, make calls, and surf the web, but I am at a computer all day long anyway.

I oftentimes do use an app. called IP Cam Viewer to monitor home security cameras (which can consume a lot of 3G/battery).

I also frequently switch between wireless when its available and 3G when its not (or turn them OFF when I don't need either for an extended period of time--no big deal to me, its just a screen tap).

I've done most of the battery saving tips / settings in the http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/19176-optimize-your-droid-eris-battery-life-read.html thread (thanks to all who contributed those!).

I don't have anything auto-poll or auto-refresh (I refresh Gmail manually for example)

Here are all of my battery-saving settings that work for me:

- settings

-- wi-fi settings
--- network notification - unchecked (battery management)
--- menu/advanced/wi-fi sleep policy - never when plugged-in

-- sound & display
--- phone vibrate - unchecked (battery management)
--- screen timeout - never turn off (anti-battery management :) )
--- brightness - verify automatic brightness is set (battery management)
--- haptic feedback - unchecked (battery management)
--- animation - no animations (battery management)

-- accounts & sync
--- auto-sync - unchecked (battery management)

-- language & keyboard
--- touch input
---- text input
------ word completion - unchecked
------ vibrate when typing - unchecked (battery management)

I should also point-out that I am rooted; however, I'm using the same settings above that I did until 1.5 and see about the same battery life (my root ROM (Ivanmm's Eris Official 1.0) is default overclocked at 710 (which does consume more power), but it also consumes less (I believe) when sleeping / not-in-use.

Upvote 0
Adding to this old thread...

Do you guys find that a power cycle benefits performance? I guess what I mean is does the Eris really need it to function properly? Seems like if I go a couple weeks without a restart I have more issues with low memory and such. Restarting annoys me because it takes so long. I just timed it at 1 min 22 seconds, stopping when I got back to the lock screen but before it found service again (took another 3 or 4 seconds). Is that standard for smart phones? It probably just irritates me because I usually restart to fix something that's keeping me from using the phone when I need it that moment. If I just restarted and walked away I wouldn't care.

Upvote 0
Adding to this old thread...

Do you guys find that a power cycle benefits performance? I guess what I mean is does the Eris really need it to function properly? Seems like if I go a couple weeks without a restart I have more issues with low memory and such. Restarting annoys me because it takes so long. I just timed it at 1 min 22 seconds, stopping when I got back to the lock screen but before it found service again (took another 3 or 4 seconds). Is that standard for smart phones? It probably just irritates me because I usually restart to fix something that's keeping me from using the phone when I need it that moment. If I just restarted and walked away I wouldn't care.

Both needing a reboot every so often and booting taking awhile are pretty normal for smartphone. Rebooting is an easy fix for many performance issues. Freezing and spontaneous rebooted however are not.

Upvote 0
Power cycling the phone can help performance, but it depends. It works the same as a desktop or laptop computer. RAM is volatile, so if there is something stuck in RAM that won't unload, the only way to do so is by rebooting the phone. Some phones may not have any issues clearing process out of RAM when the applications close and others might. The same goes for any computer.

This is actually my theory as to why there was so much lag with the dialer after a call before the latest update. My theory is that the dialer wasn't being cleared from RAM right away and was only being cleared after several minutes after a call. I haven't read anywhere what the exact cause of the lag was when you hung up a call so I don't know for sure. It's just a theory.

Upvote 0
This is actually my theory as to why there was so much lag with the dialer after a call before the latest update. My theory is that the dialer wasn't being cleared from RAM right away and was only being cleared after several minutes after a call. I haven't read anywhere what the exact cause of the lag was when you hung up a call so I don't know for sure. It's just a theory.

Ugh yeah the dialer lags a LOT with me. I hardly ever use the phone for calls so the call history is limited and cleared often. I just consider it another reason to avoid phone calls.

I read somewhere (here, probably) that someone was training the phone by periodically opening the dialer and it seemed to reduce lag time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones