• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PowerAMP audio player !!

Not long seen this thread, found it as I'm looking for an app. like this. One question though. Does PowerAmp have a 'random play'? I have 3500+ tracks and most of the time I'm not in a position to choose the next track/album (driving for instance) so just like having the player play at random.

Oh, and when you start a 'random play', if it has this feature, does it start at random as well? I've used players in the past where they all start at the same song every time .....

Ta

Dave

Yes has random play.

Starts at last song played when you closed the player.

It's currently free, so give it a try :)

Reactions: dvhttn
Upvote 0
So we still don't know what forms exactly this will be released in? Full version? And what about the free version? Trial for short time? Features removed? Ads?

I always dislike to start getting into a program when I don't know what the model will be when it's really released.

LOL.

I'm the opposite. A true opportunist.

If it's free and people rave about it, I'll give it a try.

Upvote 0
I did notice one bug. When playing, I push the button to sleep the screen and songs play for about 3-5 seconds then skips to the next song, plays another 3-5 seconds so on and so on. If I let the screen automatically sleep it plays fine.

Have you tried rebooting your phone since you found this bug?

Just verified that this is NOT happening on my Captivate.

Upvote 0
Are the songs' tracks tagged properly?

If I go to "info" for each song they have the correct track numbers. But I cannot get them to play in that order.

Can you confirm that you have entire albums with the songs definitely playing in track order, not alphabetical order? Because if I know it is working for others, then it must be something about the way I have things set up. I have not seen anyone actually confirm that yet.

Edit: I did some more playing around with this, and now it is playing in track order. Unfortunately, I made several changes in the settings at the same time so I am unsure exactly what I changed to get this working right. I should have kept track of what I did, sorry.

But at least I know it will do what I want!

Upvote 0
Are the songs' tracks tagged properly?[/QUOTE

Fair enough question, but I reckon so. they're ripped with EAC and play on my Squeezeboxes in the right order without any problems. The track number is in the file data - I can see this from the Info screen in Poweramp. Just not using this data to select play order and suspect its looking for a filename format that starts with track number. But it shouldn't need this. John

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with files playing in alphabetical order, and found a workaround: I use TagScanner on my PC (freeware, The Ultimate TagScanner: News). With TagScanner I can edit tags of any file format that supports them, as well as batch-rename files in any format I like. Given that track numbers are available in the tag info, I use a format like #track no#, #title#, and it renames files on your SD in seconds. Although it might be easier to find the right setting on PowerAmp, this technique would make your collection "future proof" for any great apps with their idiosyncracies. :D It is also much easier to edit tags of entire albums on your PC than fiddling with the phone.

Upvote 0
Have you looked in the settings? Settings > Sorting > Folders sorting OR Album/Artist Songs Sorting

You have the choices:

In folder view:
#1 - by file number then name
#2 - by filename minus number
#3 - by plain filename (not sure of the difference of this to #1)
#4 - by file creation date

in album/artist view:
#5 - by track number, title
#6 - by title
#7 - by track number

For an album to play correctly, it seems one could use one system of two (or both):

Have the tracks filenames start with 1, 2, 3, etc and use one of the settings #1, #3 (and folder view)

Have the correct track tags in the files and use settings #5 or #7 (and album view)

I have my tracks both numbers and tagged correctly, and it works fine in any view.

I couldn't work out if the discussion on this thread was around some of these settings not working/buggy, or if people just couldn't match up the right setting with the information in their mp3 files (or lack of). So sorry if I've overlooked a particular issue here.

Upvote 0
This is the best player I've come across. One thing though, do you close this player like most of them by just pausing a song then clicking the home button? I ask this because when I'm not using the player, I go into running services and see that PowerAMP is showing up there and it says 16mb. Is that normal?

Good question. I would like to see an explicit "quit" command in the menu.

Upvote 0
I installed this app and did really like it until i realized one thing... it lists songs alphabetically in an album and not by there actual order. I have many albums that play straight through so this instantly killed the app for me

I find this interesting as I'm not having this problem. Songs play in album order for me. I don't know what I'm doing right though.

Upvote 0
Have you looked in the settings? Settings > Sorting > Folders sorting OR Album/Artist Songs Sorting

You have the choices:

In folder view:
#1 - by file number then name
#2 - by filename minus number
#3 - by plain filename (not sure of the difference of this to #1)
#4 - by file creation date

in album/artist view:
#5 - by track number, title
#6 - by title
#7 - by track number

For an album to play correctly, it seems one could use one system of two (or both):

Have the tracks filenames start with 1, 2, 3, etc and use one of the settings #1, #3 (and folder view)

Have the correct track tags in the files and use settings #5 or #7 (and album view)

I have my tracks both numbers and tagged correctly, and it works fine in any view.

I couldn't work out if the discussion on this thread was around some of these settings not working/buggy, or if people just couldn't match up the right setting with the information in their mp3 files (or lack of). So sorry if I've overlooked a particular issue here.

Thanks. That was the clue i was missing. I have the ID Tags correct but no tracknumbers in the filenames. If i use "Folder" view in PowerAmp i get alphabetical playorder, in "Library" mode all is fine. Since im only using mp3 I am good now.
People using formats not by default supported by android might get problems with this, since Lirary mode doesnt work for these.

Upvote 0
I think this is a TREMENDOUS app! I've tried many but this is my choice. I do wish there was a "question & answer forum" for this app as many seem to have different questions and with all the phone styles, it's easy to understand. I have a Captivate. My questions or "wants" would be:
1) an option to highlight and/or delete duplicate songs. (For some reason when I downloaded the app, hundreds of my songs duplicated, back to back)
2) an easy way to bluetooth songs (or just copy them over) from the computer to the phone. (As any captivate owner knows, this is a bit of a PIA syncing the Captivate toi the computer)
3) an easy way to manually change the album art. (I have 400 albums and about 50 have incorrect art)

Thats it for me. I thing the app is fantastic and I love the phone!

Upvote 0
Subluka, Fishdoctor, thanks for the offers of help.

Not sure if this moves me any nearer a solution, but the FLAC files are showing only in the folder view, not the library. If I put MP3 onto the SD card, this will show in either view.

In folder view, FLAC files are only listed alphabetically, whatever setting is used. I think my FLAC tags are fine - I have no problem playing them on Squeezebox (probably the most popular FLAC hardware out there). I think that this app doesn't read the informtion in the FLAC file in the same way as Squeezebox. The track numbers are there after all - they can be shown in Power Amp, but it just doesn't recognise this when sorting its play order.

I've logged a bug with the developer, see where that goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones