• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PowerAMP Music Player

ecpolo521

Sep 20, 2010
NYC
I just downloaded PowerAmp Music Player and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Might use it over the stock player. Features which I'm enjoying is the widgets, eq presets & id tag changer. One thing I love is that it stops music when unplugging headphones. This was a pain for me after coming from an Iphone.

Anybody else using this? This app is off to a great start and has a lot more potential.

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/204098-poweramp-audio-player.html

It's nice, but the sound quality is still better on the stock Fascinate player. It's a shame really, because I wish the stock player had all of the features these other players have, such as gapless playback, and quicker song switching when skipping songs. :/ But I just prefer the sound quality on the Fascinate's music app.

Upvote 0
I would use the stock player, but Winamp I use most of the time because of last.fm. This "scrobbles" your tracks as you play them and sends to the site, which I haven't found any other way to do yet.

I used the stock media player until Winamp came out. I love the stock player except for the fact that it cannot scrobble! This is why I started using Winamp. I do like Winamp, but still would prefer the stock player if only last.fm would support it for scrobbling. That said, this music player looks pretty awesome, I may have to give it a go :)

Upvote 0
I don't understand scrobbling

If you have an account at last.fm you can download their scrobbler. The scrobbler is a lightweight program which sends information to the last.fm website anytime you play a song on your computer/ipod/iphone/android phone and records that song to your profile on their site. The act of scrobbling is sending the song you're playing to last.fm. Basically, it lets you build a library on their site of what songs you play to show your musical taste, make friends with similar tastes, etc. A social music site. But your music player has to support scrobbling for it to work. Or really, last.fm has to support the music player.

Upvote 0
I don't understand scrobbling

Simple... all of the music you listen to gets "scrobbled" to your last.fm profile (here's mine for a sample). It's a good way to keep track of what you're listening to, and discover new artists based on the ones you currently like. You can find people who like the same kind of music you do, then go through their artist list to see if there's someone new. I've been doing it for over four years, so I have a good assortment of artists and songs tracked.

Give it a try, it's addicting. :)

Upvote 0
You're right, I like the UI. I'll bounce back and forth between Winamp and Poweramp and see which one I like the best.
I've been simul-testing them both this weekend. Im not much of a music guy. The gym is about the only place I listen to tunes consistently, unless Im on Pandora or EPSNRadio, which is rare. Im having the same problem I did with choosing a keyboard. Each has advantages and disadvantages for me and while some sort of non-existent hybrid would be perfect it does not exist

Upvote 0
I'm just gonna throw this out there - I think this made my phone freeze (forcing a reboot) a few times and not wake up from sleep a few more times. A quick Google found another guy who had issues but not many more.

Went through the usual suspects - Beautiful Widgets, SetCPU, Widget Locker. No go. Uninstalling this and using the stock music player instead and I've been stable for a few hours (happened several times today). Also, my problems with Ti backup disappeared (wasn't recognizing my license key for some reason).

My phone isn't stock, I have a BUNCH of possibly culpable stuff installed, I'm not saying it will happen to you, and this is still a beta version. It is an awesome player for sure. Just keep it in the back of your mind if your phone starts acting funny before you start blaming Voodoo/BW etc..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones