• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PowerAMP update brings cross-fading and gapless playback...

NZtechfreak

Android Expert
Apr 23, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Just thought I would throw this out there in case people missed this, I know there were quite a few posts and threads for people asking for these two features in an Android music player.

Cross-fade works as advertised, unfortunately I do not have any gapless albums to test that out with. Perhaps someone can confirm how well it does or doesn't work?

Reactions: technogeekery
I've done some testing on an HTC Incredible S with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

OGG: Ripped using Exact Audio Copy at 192kbps: PowerAMP plays the album flawlessly with no gaps or glitches!

MP3: Ripped using iTunes at 256kbps: There is a slight glitch between tracks. It's not a gap as such, but the transition isn't perfect. It can vary from a barely-noticeable click to a very short stutter.

So it definitely works (and kudos to the developers for finally making gapless playback possible on Android!) and you can choose between almost-perfect gapless or perfectly gapless.

Upvote 0
Ta NZTechFreak - I've been struggling with this - I really like Google Music's streaming model, but the lack of gapless playback is a killer for me, I listen to a lot of mixed dj compilations. I just downloaded PowerAmp trial version, and all my mixes are coming out perfectly. The program is very powerful, with loads of ability to tweak the music, interface etc - I'm impressed, and will shell out the money for it (I have 15-day trial version.)

Note to possible buyers - it doesn't have a desktop version, so I'm using Winamp free desktop client to arrange, sort, view, import/export from my PC, and PowerAmp on my Galaxy Nexus. I liked the free Winamp Android client too, but it also lacks gapless playback. Apparently the paid version has it - but if I'm going to pay, I think PowerAmp has the edge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones