Powermat for HTC EVO 4G Unboxing/Overview Video

Last Updated:

1. Clipp

Clipp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. CRAZYISH

CRAZYISH Well-Known Member

ill wait till they come out with a battery type.

3. taz92

taz92 Well-Known Member

hmmm ill wait until people try it out for awhile before I decide. This is definetly a way to save your charging port from being damaged. Only downside I see if that u cannot put the phone in a protective case with that back cover on.

4. TeamPEZ

TeamPEZ Well-Known Member

The charging piece is just that ... a piece of ^&#$.

No thanks.

5. Rylando

Rylando Active Member

I can't see paying $60 when plugging my phone in at bedtime really isn't that difficult a task.

ninety9 and marctronixx like this.
  6. Ubuntu Philosophy

Ubuntu Philosophy Well-Known Member

Not really what its meant for...

7. conor.in

conor.in Well-Known Member

Coming from a Palm Pre with the Touchstone this would be really nice, but the $60 price seems high (yes, the Touchstone was $50). I've also heard that the Evo can be modified to work with the Touchstone so that'll be something to look into.

8. nu2android

nu2android Well-Known Member

When you review a product, why go on and on about the back cover. How many times do you have to compare it. Sorry review was boring, it led me to believe it was more about the back cover than the powermat itself. Though from the little bit of info on the powermet, it looked pretty neat. Duracel has one too now though dont know how much it is or how much it is.

9. Clipp

Clipp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm, not sure why you wouldn't want to see a lot of the back cover. It's a big decision when you're altering the look of your expensive smartphone. We obviously know you don't care, but many would prefer to see how it stacks up against the standard door. The charging mat itself has been out for a long time, we all know what it does (even so, that's shown off as well).

Have you seen Powermat's older designs? They were awful... The new design is what I think will draw in more customers for a system they've had on the market for a while. It doesn't matter how cool the tech is, if it's not appealing to the eye, they aren't going to maximize profits. Perhaps it's the length of the video that got to you ;) . If i'm buying something, I like to see as much of it as I can before purchasing though.

10. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

ok.. what is it meant for?? really???

it looks like it will make the phone thicker and your cases/covers may not fit.

and I hate the look of the plug at the usb end!
    also.. pain it ass for using car chargers.

personally.. so ugly IMO.
    I dont like

11. gmack419

gmack419 Member

Sorry--accidentally put this in the all things root category...

POWERMAT Wireless Charging
    Just picked up the Powermat for the Evo during my lunch break.
    I was excited to get back to my office and plug it in...everything I've heard is that the new battery door incorporates a battery as well...

Turns out I was wrong. So the battery door feels like the same material as the stock EVO battery door, however, instead of a battery coming attached to the door--there is a small power cable that runs along the inside cover, and ends in a microUSB connector---that plugs into the EVO's charging port.

I haven't made up my mind yet for keeping it. It will clearly make any kind of a case difficult...

Attached Files:

12. liquidtrance

liquidtrance Member

I'm guessing this won't work with an Otterbox Commuter case? I just had to send my Evo out to have the MicroUSB port repaired as it stopped charging, this would be wonderful to make sure it doesn't happen again, however it looks like I would have to give up my Otterbox case :(

13. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Yea I don't like that nub. Plus you can't charge it when in the car with a regular microUSB auto charger, nor sync to do usb tether to the computer.

14. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

thank you for posting the pics! I know there is a thread on this in the accessory sub forum but I don't know that anyone updated it with pics...the nub is definitely a deal breaker

15. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

They got lazy with the powermat for the Evo... it's a Jerry rigged normal charging port, essentially.

16. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

After seeing that i too think i will pass.

17. mustang229

mustang229 Member

agree 100%,i mean dont get me wrong its cool and all,but i would not buy this for 2 reasons,1-I have a Seidio Case onn my Evo with 3 different cases on it and that would be a pain in the @$$ to take off every night to charge it,and 2 as Rylando said why would i pay $60 when i can just plug in my phone when i go to bed,simple as that

Sheriff John likes this.
  18. bznupe25

bznupe25 New Member

this would not work if you have the innotraveller car kit, as I do. The usb plug would get in the way of mounting the phone on the charger. You would need to constantly swap between the stock back cover and the powermat cover. I had the palm pre, with three touchstones. I will look into trying to use the palm pre touchstone with my Evo

19. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Seems to me that the best way to do this would be to simply make conduction work through the stock battery cover and slim cases while completely bypassing the USB. Maybe the battery itself would have to have the induction plate built into it. I'd go for something like that, but anything that adds another connector to the USB is a waste.

20. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

You can get a touchstone way less than $50 now. I got mine and the pixi back for $20. Piece of cake if you can solder. But...I don't think I would do it again.

The big problem with going directly to battery would be controlling the charge voltage. You'd end up with a bigger cover. The induction coil itself just barely fits under the stock cover.

21. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I will have to say no thanks too. I bought 2 extra batteries and a battery charger for 15 bucks. I rarely use the charging port and have battery life for 2 full days cheers.

22. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

The Qi standard is going to make these proprietary charging covers obsolete within months. Qi can be built into the phones themselves, and I hope some retrofitting also happens. Look for battery makers like Energizer to push this forward - they're even advertising it on CNet or Engadget now.

23. chicano

chicano Well-Known Member

Will leave the powermat to the iPhone users. I'm with Alextop30, I too have two (3500mAh) batteries that last me for almost 2 days on one charge.

24. TehBigCarp

TehBigCarp Active Member

My only beef with charging mats is the piece that plugs in at the bottom. I would be curious if you can use standard cases and holsters with that plugged in like that.

25. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Word, now if they had a battery that integrated the connection so the phone was externally stock then I would be interested.