• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Powerpoint on a Transformer

peterc10

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
UK
Hi. I am a refugee from the HTC Sensation (and before that Hero) forums.

Has anybody managed to run powerpoint presentations on their Transformer yet please? If so how did it go? What software are you using please? Was moving between slides and moving between animations on each slide easy? Can you use a wireless presentation mouse (I have a logitech one) in the USB slot of the keyboard dock? What HDMI/VGA Adapter did you use please? I know it does not do sound (I don't need it), but does everything else work?

Sorry for all the questions but I am looking at the Asus Transformer range and want to know if I can use it as a laptop replacement for training courses I run.

Many thanks in advance for all your help

If available you could go to a local store such as BB and use the pre installed Polaris office app, if that works there are a few free apps and aslo a good number of paid apps that will work much better. If the store has it on KB you could test the mouse also if not you will have to put he presentation on a MSD card otherwise either a USB stick or a SD card.
Two to look at before you buy a TF are Kingsoft & Cloudon.(Both free)
ASUS sells a HDMI to VGA adapter that I have heard works fine.

The other way would to be to buy it from a reputable source that would allow you to easily return the item.

Reactions: peterc10
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I live in the UK and our stores are not as accommodating as your Best Buy. I will be coming over to New Jersey next week for a month, so I could try then. But I was hoping that somebody had tried it and could give me the benefits of their experience before I buy.

I have tried Polaris in my HTC phone and also downloaded a time limited copy of OfficeSuite Pro and tried it as well, but neither of them are very good. All they do is provide a picture of each slide, which I could do if I printed the slides to .pdf and used a pdf viewer. But I can't bring up items on a slide point by point ("animations"), which is essential for some of my slides. I was hoping they may be different on a Tablet, or there was some better software out there. I am quite happy to pay $$ for a decent App to do this, as long as it does it properly.

What I really need is an Android version of the MS Office Suite. But I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your help. As I said in my previous post Polaris Office (and OfficeSuite Pro will display each slide and I can move between slides. However the animations do not work, in the sense that all I can do is move from one slide to the next I can't introduce parts of the slide item by item, which is essential for my slides. I am not sure if that what you call transitions, but if it is then I agree they do not work. I am not looking for anything fancy or difficult, just the ability to present a slide bullet by bullet.

I have had a look at QuickOffice Pro you have suggested, but all it says is that it can "Present on device or using external display", which I suspect is the same as the other two. I was hoping I could find somebody who had actually tried all this and found something that worked.

A colleague showed me an iPad app called Keynote, which appears to do exactly what I want, in that it can display a slide point by point. But I really DO NOT want to enter Apple's walled garden!

Upvote 0
Cloudon works like and might be a cloud version of MSOffice the draw back is that is uses cloud storage, I have not played with it much because I use Kingsoft. KS is still in it"s infancy but the devs have adding new features monthly. I dig around for a power point and see if I can give you areview using KS and Cloudon

Reactions: peterc10
Upvote 0
Thanks again. I would not want to rely upon a cloud based system because I will not always be able to rely upon have a wifi or 3G signal in all of the places I will be training in. Some are very security concious and will not let "outsiders" log in to their wifi network.

I have just tried Kingsoft but it the same as the others. I really do not need to produce or edit presentations on an Android Tablet - I will continue to use Powerpoint on my laptop for that. All I want to do is use it to actually run presentations instead of taking my laptop with me everywhere.

Upvote 0
If you can convert ppt to our wtppt format on pc, our app, Touchshow, can play powerpoint on android with animation, not static slides only. Google "touchshow android" to find our demo video.

Besides, touchshow can play mp3&mp4 in the slide. And more, you can explain your course and markup during the presentation, even save your memo to file.

We will have a new release soon that support more powerpoint functions, and some more functions that are useful for presentation.

Wait for your response.

Upvote 0
Sorry for late reply. Have you found out the proper app for your purpose?
Touchshow has released the latest version , v4.0. This time you can get a trial version from Google play now.
By now, there is rare apps which were able to play powerpoint with animation, hyperlink, audio&video support, with flash animation, with markup function which useful for presentation. (Touchshow seems the only one?)
Only if your devices support HDMI/MHL, presentation by Touchshow could be display on big monitors or projectors. Many our customers has been having their lectures with Touchshow in this way. And we will release a version with bluetooth mouse/keyboard supporting since there have been request on this. The latest version will be published in this month.

Since touchshow play converted powerpoint file -- wtppt on android, it is needed to convert ppt to wtppt on PC. The converter supports mass conversion at a time. If you are interested in Touchshow, visit our website for more detail. TouchShow -- The best PowerPoint player on android

Upvote 0
Thanks for your query. And yes, I bought your product. At the time it was not available in the Play Store so I downloaded it from you direct and paid for it.

When I first tried it I had a couple of problems firstly getting the paid for one working and secondly with the conversion software (in Windows) not converting ppt files properly. The problem was in getting some of the text boxes I used on some of my complex slides working properly. Text was being misaligned. You were very proactive and sent me a newer version but by then I was busy on other projects and did not have time to really try it out.

You have recently sent me another email notifying me of a new version in Play Store and that the conversion could now be done within the Android app. I now have a bit more time to try this again. What would be the best way of progressing this please? Shall I uninstall the existing app altogether and download afresh from Play Store? If so how will I be able to reactivate my paid for app?

I want to give this another go if I can.

Upvote 0
OK no answer from whytouch to the questions in my last post. :(

As it just happens I have found the answer to running powerpoint presentations on my Android Tablet. It is an app called Office 2012: Presentations by Softmaker Software. It reads ppt files (without any conversion) and shows them complete with any animations you have embedded in them. Only slight flaw is that it still displays the Android Task Bar on the screen

I downloaded the free trial version yesterday, and got it up and working with my Tablet and projector with no problems this morning. So I paid for and downloaded the full app - I am quite happy to pay

Reactions: AutobahnSHO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones