• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pre-ordered!

So here's what I got in my box:

Phone
USB Plug
USB to phone adaptor
HDMI cable
Spare screen protector (there is already a factory fitted one on my S)
Earbud earphones with inline remote
Voucher for NFC Tags when they are released in the UK (which when I registered the Xperia S isn't a option? So I just chose other)

Not bad at all, I'm very impressed, whether you choose black or white the phone is amazing. As I've said the buttons are easy to press, the typing is as easy if not easier than my IP4 (once my hands adjusted to the different dimensions) Oh when signing up for the contract, the Xperia S isn't on O2's system, had to be registered as a Arc S but then amended manually on my contract paper copy.

I won't bother putting up pics as all the main sites ie Gsmarena, Phonearena, Xperiablog all have plenty, also I'm going to be too busy playing and installing, on that note the free space on the phone memory is showing as 1.7gb ish! A bit different from my HTC Desire which I had to root to stop showing the full memory warning!

If anyone has any q's about the handset, just pop them on here and I'll do my best to answer them asap.

Cheers

Upvote 0
There is the slightest hint of lag when navigating and I mean slightest but to be honest it's been a while since I've been on Android, it's certainly faster and smoother than my old IP4 (I know they are not direct comparisons but with Apple's super optimised ios it should be silky smooth on my older 4), especially on browsing, it's so nice to have flash back. As for crashing, hell no I just keep on opening programs but no crashing at all, has someone experienced this Zafonic, if so let me know what they're opening and I'll try and duplicate.

Upvote 0
For those of you noticing some lagging, often when doing background syncs, this is not really down to the processor - but the OS.

Every Android device I've reviewed has lagged or stuttered at times, with the exception of the Galaxy Nexus - running ICS. It seems Android OS may have finally fixed a number of issues, so when the Xperia S gets ICS - any UI issues should disappear. ICS, for example, supports hardware acceleration.

So, it's probably fair to say that the Xperia S will get even better when it gets ICS - not just a new look.

I'm struggling to imagine why I'd need a quad-core processor, as the Galaxy Nexus was awesome and I loved it, except the camera. The Xperia S has a great camera, and the dedicated camera button (plus the quick start mode) so it ticks all the boxes. I really don't care about the next device to be announced for the summer.

For a tablet/laptop, I can see where quad-core may work - especially if it's bigger and gets a bigger battery too.

Reactions: jaseuk and zafonic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones