• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pre-owned G1 review from a UK user.

Hi guys and guyesses,
First impression after taking it out of the 2 tons of bubblewrap that had kept it safe from seller to me was that it looked bigger and heavier than the pictures that I had seen of it on the web,

My first impression was that it was plain but not nearly as ugly as it looks in pictures.

To me, that is just to long. I mean, is there another phone out there that takes between 40 seconds and a minute between switching on and being able to make a call?

Ever used a Windows Mobile phone? Boot times were similarly long. Now the old PalmOS phones would boot in 15 seconds or something. Great stuff.

As regards the keyboard, I hear what other folk say about the keys being to flat with not enough travel to register and that the "chin" intrudes, etc. I hear it all but I have to say that I find none of the above to be a problem.

KB doesn't bother me, either.

I could access them alright. The problem was that I was accessing them through 3G and not via my wi-fi. In other words, it cost a small fortune rather than being free.

Easiest way is likely to turn off the phone radio in Settings. Second easiest would be to munge the APN name in Settings. Either will force the phone to use WIFI as the mobile data connection will be unavailable. There's an app called WeSync (I think) that will cause data to sync only over wifi. APNdroid may or may not munge the APN for you. Tasker can turn off 3G when connected to wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones