• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

pre release droids get left out of update

I was able to get Verizon to replace my pre-release phone, once they get more Xs in they are sending one out to me.

Hopefully the Verizon rep will be able to hook me up as well.

Btw my Verizon store told me to just wait as they are pushing out the update to about 2000 phones a day.

He did say there was a way to manually force the update and told me to google it. Not sure what to think of that. :p

Think Ill try my luck with getting a replacement by Verizon. Im not in any real rush. The signal does suck with my phone though and the battery not reading correctly is annoying. Oh well!

Upvote 0
They aren't morons, you just don't know how to use your phone. Did you even attempt to go to ->Settings ->About Phone ->System Updates and search for an update? Probably not. Don't complain about things when its your own ignorance that caused something. People can't hold your hand and spoon feed you technology.
damstr is pretty savvy and if he says he doesn't have the update available, then you can be sure he doesn't. Maybe you should read a few more posts before you start attacking and being ugly to folks?

Upvote 0
damstr is pretty savvy and if he says he doesn't have the update available, then you can be sure he doesn't. Maybe you should read a few more posts before you start attacking and being ugly to folks?

Haha thanks.

Yeah I rooted my old Droid and did all sorts of stuff with it. If I cant figure out how to manually check for updates then there is something wrong with me. :p

Upvote 0
I have a pre-released droid (designate #7), and I could download the update last night, around 10pm is when I checked. I still haven't updated yet but I plan to soon.

Those devices given during the Scavenger hunt are more than likely retail devices (considering the contest started about a week from the phone's release). Considering the X's press event was around June 23, and a batch of devices were to be made available before it's launch, the date of manufacturing must be different.

Upvote 0
I was able to get Verizon to replace my pre-release phone, once they get more Xs in they are sending one out to me.

That makes no sense. You didn't buy the Droid X from Verizon, why would they send you a replacement? :thinking: They won't warranty something you didn't buy from them.

That's like buying something defective from Walmart then getting it exchanged at Best Buy.

Upvote 0
That makes no sense. You didn't buy the Droid X from Verizon, why would they send you a replacement? :thinking: They won't warranty something you didn't buy from them.

Because they want to keep customers I guess. Them doing this for me means a lot. More then I'd ever expect AT&T to do for me.

Verizon ftw.

You should think of it this way. If you buy a Ford truck for example you can get it serviced at ANY Ford dealership even though the dealerships aren't owned by Ford per say.

Also if somehow entered a contest and won a Ford truck for free wouldn't it come with a warranty? Just saying...

Upvote 0
Because they want to keep customers I guess. Them doing this for me means a lot. More then I'd ever expect AT&T to do for me.

Verizon ftw.

But when you buy a pre-release phone through a third party source (ie. eBay) that's the risk you take to be one of the first to have it. Now you expect Verizon to take the loss? Just doesn't seem right IMO.

Upvote 0
You should think of it this way. If you buy a Ford truck for example you can get it serviced at ANY Ford dealership even though the dealerships aren't owned by Ford per say.

Also if somehow entered a contest and won a Ford truck for free wouldn't it come with a warranty? Just saying...

So return it to Motorola, as they are the manufacturer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones