pre-rooting questions..

Last Updated:

1. Ichigotan

Ichigotan New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sure you get these kinds of questions a lot, but I feel like I need to ask these before I go ahead and root it, I'm not computer illiterate by any stretch of the imagination... I'm just unfamiliar with android...

1.)Will I need to worry about denying any updates pushed by Verizon if I root my Droid 2? I'm going to guess that this is no, but I want to make sure.

2.)Is dropping a new ROM on my phone like installing a new OS? i.e. will I lose all of the data (applications/texts/contact information etc) on my phone? (Not that big of a concern because contacts are synced through google... but I want to be prepared)

3.)To my understanding "rooting" my phone is essentially the same thing as sudo su, and just grants me temporary superuser status? I read that after putting the official ROM back on my phone, Verizon would have zero traces to tell that I had done this before?

4.)If I went that route, and decided to re-flash the stock ROM, where would I locate the Motorola ROM?

5.)Exactly how much would I have to do to render my phone bricked? Not that I'm going to try, but I want to understand this a bit better...

Advertisement
  2. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

1. Getting updated depends on what you do to your phone. The last update checked to make sure you handnt removed any software. There are always ways of getting the update though.

2. In PC terms, then yes, I guess it is like installing a new OS. Your apps will redownload, your contacts will resync, you just lose some settings.

3. Rooting gives you Superuser status. SBfing your phone returns it to stock with no traces of rooting.

4. The current full SBF can be found here: TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

5. Don't know, I haven't bricked my phone. You would have to do a lot to make it not recoverable via SBF.