Pre to Hero

Last Updated:

1. mecca

mecca New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok.......I had 3 Palm pre phones. I switched one of them to the Hero......How many of you have come from the Pre?

Advertisement
  2. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

I have left the Pre for the DARKSIDE . It was worth the switch

3. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

me too. Very happy I did, but it was very hard to leave palm.

4. 305Cane

305Cane Well-Known Member

i was on ATT and i did the math and joined sprint so i would be able to use both phones before making a decision . i first got the Pre and it just made sense. when the time was right i switched to the hero and I like ita lot. The hardware just feels so much better, but the pre is also a great phone. the lack of applications was a big reason for my move over and i was not willing to wait a year for palm to bring more, not to mention, only 8 gb of space when hero is expandable to 32. Web OS is one hell of a piece of software though. It really puts the other OS's to shame. i never had isseus with the pre besides battery life, but the hardware just feels so much better on the hero. of course the hero going all day on a charge is a big bonus. the pre's battery life was meh.

5. joek71

joek71 Well-Known Member

I currently have the Pre but will be coming over to the white side soon as my wife gets her Samsung Moment she has the Hero now and not happy with virtual keyboard so i take her Hero and i get her the Moment. I really like the Gero opens apps faster and forget about the games and tons of apps the Hero has.

6. inline325i

inline325i Member

Made the switch from Pre to Hero here as well.

I liked the Pre but the build quality was subpar IMO (2 with Oreo effect, 1 Volume button stopped working, 1 headphone issue etc.) <-- Kudos to Palm however they were always willing to correct the problem by sending a new phone....refurb'd but nonetheless they were willing send another phone...

Also having to "tweak" the phone to get "common" features most phones already had played a part in my decision as well. Then there was BATTERY life on the Pre that was a big issue for me. Battery life on the HERO is MUCH better.

I may miss the "swipes" with the Pre (they were kind fun LOL) but I am very happy with the Hero and don't regret coming over to the HERO side!!! :)

7. bananachunks

bananachunks Member

I was first in line on the first day the Pre was sold at my local store. I ~love~ WebOS. Lack of apps (including the at-the-time 'crippled' version of GMaps) and the hardware made Pre life painful. Paid my ETF three weeks ago, gave the Pre and all of my accessories for it to a friend, and had a Galaxy imported. Aside from ~really~ missing the/a physical keyboard, I'm really digging my Galaxy/Android.

8. koolhand79

koolhand79 Well-Known Member

I made the switch and couldnt be happier. I liked the pre alot but i love how this phone works and how easy it is to customize to your liking. Good by Pre

9. leeladisky

leeladisky Active Member

I made the switch, after 5 pre exchanges for hardware issues, 3 of them keyboard related. I liked WebOS, but I love my Android Hero...

Lee

10. ChrisPlague

ChrisPlague Well-Known Member

i had a pre before the hero...

webos has A LOT of potential i just dont think it is ready yet but im more than glad i made the move to android :)

11. faculak99

faculak99 Member

I am a 3g iPhone user who is making the move to Sprint to save money. I am not to familiar with either phones, but my organization is planning to purchase the one of my choice.

I have spent 3-4 days playing with the Pre in the last month, but have not yet played with the Hero. I like the Pre's web os and cards, but the phone itself seems cheap. The Hero (only played with it for about 10 mins) does not seem very user friendly. Remember, I am coming from an iPhone, so no phone will be that user friendly, but the Hero seems less so than the Pre.

Could you guys give me some reasons you chose the Hero over the Pre. Please note that the calender, mail, and text is a huge need for me, in that order.

Another question, what (program) do you use to sync your phone with media such as music or movies?

Also, how well does the Hero sync contacts, mail, and calender to gmail account? I heard of terrible issues with the Gmail calender on the Pre.

Thank you sooooo much. I have watched all the you-tube reviews on both, I just feel they don't come down hard on any phones so they can continue to get free ones to play with.

One thing I will miss on iPhone is the visual voicemail!

Lil - help - thanks.

12. illini

illini Well-Known Member

I started with the pre. I didnt like how hot it got. I did however like the os alot, there are some things i really like about it. The pre is a good phone but the hero trumps it.

13. doublebullout

doublebullout Well-Known Member

I switched from Pre to Hero -- MUCH happier with Android and the Hero.
    webOS is very easy and elegant, but that's in part because there's so little depth to it. The Hero/Android has a steeper learning curve than webOS. Part of the reason for this is that Android offers so much more customization and settings choices. If you don't like the way webOS does something, you either patch it or learn to live with it.
    Then run, don't walk, away from the Pre. The biggest weakness of webOS is the PIM apps, particularly the calendar. The Pre is, very simply, not a business-class phone. On the other hand, Android offers both strong business apps and strong entertainment apps. Moreover, webOS can be sluggish and frustrating to use for such basic things as creating a calendar event. The webOS calendar doesn't even have a search function! The Hero is more responsive, and HTC SenseUI adds the "dashboard" capability of widgets and scenes. To achieve the same thing with the Pre, you have to get used to leaving essential apps running all the time.
    Doubletwist.
    Android is designed to work well with gMail and Google contacts. In the Android Market, look for gDocs and gTasks, which sync with their online Google counterparts.
    Hero has visual voicemail. ;-)

Enjoy your Hero. Have fun!

14. GoofyGirl

GoofyGirl Well-Known Member

Another transfer from the Pre. The Pre has a lot of potential but the Hero is just WOW!! No problems whatsover (other than a little dust under the screen) and battery life is sooooooo much better!! Visual voicemail is awesome too!!

15. Grinder16

Grinder16 Well-Known Member

Left the Pre as well. Loved the Pre and really got used to the keyboard but the app store was VERY slow to develop and the apps were/are WAY too expensive

16. ron

ron Well-Known Member

I had the Pre (actually 4 of them) and now have a Hero and a Blackberry Tour. All you Pre people: are you having issues with disappearing text messages with your Hero? That is my only issue, and I am now using my unsexy BB until this is resolved.

17. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

So, I'm trying to decided between these phones as well (and possibly the Moment). I've read reviews saying that the Sprint Hero is sometimes laggy, but I couldn't see it in the store model I fooled around. Are there any particular applications that display this lag? I would like to see it in action to see if I can stand it.

18. Barfighter

Barfighter Active Member

Had the pre, luckily I had 5 days left on my 30 day return policy..Returned it for the Hero. Happier than a pig in mud. Pre is a great phone but the Hero is what i thought I was getting when I purchased the Pre. Pre is nice but smalish and keyboard is very tiny. I was worried about the virtual keyboard on the Hero but the auto correct feature is awesome. I have not experienced any lag time wit my phone. My sister has an Iphone and she likes my hero better. One of the coolest features (do not know how many other phones do this) is when you zoom text in the webbrowser it automatically orientates the text to fit screen so you only have to scroll down to read and not back and forth. Great battery life (as long as you are not streaming which is the case with all phones). My Pre got very warm almost hot have not had this problem with the Hero......Oh and then there is all of those apps....most free. You will be happy with either phone I personally am happier with the Hero.;)

19. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

I switched from the Palm Pre to HTC Hero. I got the Pre when I was able to upgrade this month. I loved the Pre's version of multi-tasking a lot and the gestures were really helpful. The pictures and videos were really vibrant and crisp on the Pre. I was disappointed that the hardware couldn't live to my standards. It felt cheap and had serious problems with the screen from cracking to dead pixels. My Samsung Instinct felt way more sturdy! PALM WHY DIDN'T YOU GO WITH A GLASS TOUCHSCREEN! The Pre wasn't optimized to use the GPU to speed things up and apps were less than stunning. I had 3 Pre's with my time period. The first one had a dead pixel on it. The second kept freezing and lagging a lot. The third I just said f-it and switched to the Hero. I couldn't be more pleased. Hero does have a steeper learning curve because of all the customization available. Once I gotten use to it, it is a breeze to use (I caught myself trying swipe open programs close and using the back gesture too!). The 7 home screens are very helpful and useful. I noticed the Hero tends to lag a lot when you have multiple programs running in the background. Other than that, I am happy with functionality of the Hero. Needs an update soon but functional.

Off the subject a moment:

I have 3 of my 30 days left before I can swap my phone for the very last time before I have to pay full retail price. I was actually looking at the Samsung Moment. Could I go back to Best Buy and tell them I'm not happy with the Hero (Lie) and want to put my old phone back on my plan? They should give me my money back plus I would get my upgrade eligibility back, right? Then when the Moment comes out, go back and renew my contract again?

Anyways, Great phone.

20. pgvelez

pgvelez Member

I bought a Pre on launch day and returned it about 8 days later. I love all things technical and was looking forward to tackling the learning curve on the Pre but it was waaaay behind what I had with previous Palm devices (Pilot, Clie, Treo 650, Centro). Out of the box, the Pre lacked: the ability to stream from the internet, video camera, tethering, sync capabilities and more which I had become accustomed to.

It really infuriates me that Palm screwed up as badly as they did with the Pre. Palm lead the market with it's PIM when a Blackberry was just a fruit. Now they have taken a back seat to both Blackberry and now in my opinion, Android.

I am actually glad that I returned my Pre before it was plagued with its' myriad build issues. The Hero's design is professional and solid. This is what I was expecting from Palm after they had 2 years to come up with a worthy I-Phone competitor. The Sense UI has a learning curve but one that rewards the user with unique customization.

Palm's App Catalog was another sore spot for me. Launching your phone with under 36 apps in the store (I think it was actually under 30)?? Unacceptable. From the folks who, with Palm OS, had the largest "app store" of anybody? Cluelessness. Is there an app for that?!? Thank goodness for the homebrew people or the phone would have been even less appealing.

I went online on Oct 9 just looking around and stumbled across reviews for the Hero. They were all glowing with very little bad to say about the phone. When I called the Sprint store to find out if they would have them in on the 11th as advertised, I was told they had them in stock. So I actually got mine 2 days before the actual launch.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this phone. I have not experienced any lag or software issues or any problems with the hardware, so far.

p.s. To dhinez, when I returned my Pre to Sprint, they did put my number back to my Centro and readjusted my contract. I don't think you have to give BB any reason, you're within your 30 days.

21. ron

ron Well-Known Member

I don't thing lag is an issue with the Hero. However, the missing text messages is a BIG issue and I would not recommend getting the Hero at this point unless you are cool with missing messages.

22. T Mac

T Mac Well-Known Member

I would switch to the Hero in a second if someone could confirm if the Hero supports VCal. The Pre does not. I cannot accept an appointment from an email via the Pre because the native email client doesn't support VCal. :confused:

23. faculak99

faculak99 Member

Guys, your posts have been extremely helpful. I am looking at the Android very seriously now over the PRE. The iPhone was extremely user friendly, but I think you have convinced me that the Hero can be just as easy to understand after playing with it.

The apps are over-rated in my opinion. A lot of them are just flare. No substance in production. Can you guys name any real apps that you have found to be useful for the Hero?

Thanks, and keep them coming. I feel like I know more and more about the Hero with not having to spend the time in the store playing with it.

24. bmbriefs

bmbriefs Member

Thanks everyone, I just ordered two Heroes. I still love the WebOS but will probably wait another year to jump on board.

25. doublebullout

doublebullout Well-Known Member

I really like BeyondPod and would recommend that if you need a podcast/RSS feed manager. I've also tried several task manager apps. Astrid is very powerful, but only syncs with RTM.

njking25 likes this.