Pre-update Rogers HTC Magic experiments

Last Updated:

1. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I still have not updated my HTC Magic. I'm backing up all my apps and data, and I am going to perform a factory reset to get everything back to the way it was when i opened the box (or near enough).

I'm planning to run some simple experiments to get a baseline of the way the Magic performs _before_ the update.

Some of the tests I will be performing:

- 1 days worth of battery usage with minimal WiFi or Data usage, screen brightness set low. (+ normal calling, etc)
    - 1 days worth of battery usage with WiFi on all day (+ normal calling, etc)
    - Watching for reboots, crashes and force-closing.

Unfortunately I can not test usage with a data connection as my data is still turned off by Rogers.

Any suggestions on anything you'd like me to test to compare to post-911 update?

I've already tested bluetooth functionality compared to an updated Magic.

Advertisement
  2. slipwiz

slipwiz New Member

I would love to see data usage. I'm noticing "data leeks" on my magic. Looks like I’m using up about 5MB to 7 MB of data per day with my phone IDLE. I can confirm about 2MB in the morning because when I wake up in the morning and take my phone of the charger I look at the data count from data counter widget. I understand that it could be one of the apps that I have installed, that why I’m planning a factory restore to test it would. But if you do the math 5MB a day for 30 day that's 150 of my 500MB gone in background chatter.

As anybody also notice this. I would understand some background data transfer for email/calendar/task syncing but my dream was doing the same thing before and I was using about 2-5MB a day (average) before and the included twitter updated and surfing (lite must of it on wifi).