1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Predictive optionsGeneral

1. DWadeson

DWadeson Member

Hi

Just done a software upgrade on s3 and the predictive text settings have either changed or are hiding elsewhere.....personal dictionary, option to set how many characters it guesses what word you are typing - probably others too but I'm very new to this phone so probably don't realise they've gone. All I get now in the predictive settings window is options about using personalisation.

Any ideas/advice? Are they hiding somewhere else??

Many Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

Are you using the stock keyboard that came with the phone or a replacement app like swiftkey?
  3. DWadeson

DWadeson Member

I'm just using the one on the phone - haven't downloaded any. It was all fine until the software upgrade this morning.
  4. davidmanvell

I dont use the default keyboard so haven't looked at the settings for it. hopefully someone else on here can.

I use swiftkey and it works really well.
  5. DWadeson

DWadeson Member

Thanks. There was also an option you could set where you could choose how many characters you put in before it started to predict the word. So frustrating that the whole lot seems to have disappeared! I have contacted Samsung by email so hope to hear back from them soon.
  6. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

On my phone I go into Settings/Language and input/Samsung keyboard.
    Tap the gear to the right.
  7. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

i was reading this so dont quote me but apple won a lawsuit so the pretictive text like in ICS where it just picked the word it thought you meant was removed it still gives you choices as your starting to type, just tap the word you want

but the auto replace/pretictive part or pretictive text was lost on the 4.1.1 update
  8. mikes1

mikes1 Well-Known Member

I like the new keyboard a lot but I came across the same problem. It's not worth it to use anymore because it doesn't even have auto correct anymore. Usually when you misspell a word by a letter or two it used to change it to the correct word. Now it just leaves the words misspelled. I dont know what they were thinking. I switched to the swype keyboard.
  9. DWadeson

DWadeson Member

Am I likely to have done the 4.1.1 update today then? Sorry to ask a silly question - it's all so confusing - only had this phone a couple of weeks.

Where do you think my dictionary might be now then? Have they now moved or removed it? It's definitely not where it was under the predictive text button.

Thanks
  10. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

The predictive really blows since the update, it doesn't spell the most basic words anymore things like, the, at

Drives my fianc
  11. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

You can thank Apple for this one. Samsung had to remove it due to patent infringement.
  12. davidmanvell

Install swiftkey and be done with it. Swiftkey rocks.
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  13. Heisenberg123

they were thinking they HAD to do it due to apples lawsuit
  14. Heisenberg123

15. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

That is completely preposterous!
  16. Heisenberg123

agreed I love my MAC and never had an issue with my iphone 4 only became an Android user as i wanted a new phone and the 4s and 5 to me were not differrent enough for me to feel like i even had a new expierence.

lately ive become sick of apples attitude, i will probably always be a MAC user and buy apple products from time to time but they really need to grow up.

if they need to have these things like predictive text as an exclusive feature, than thats lame
    NightAngel79 likes this.