1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

preferred networksSupport

1. stefandude3

stefandude3 New Member

Why can I not pick mobile only?
    My gs5 has only two options for the 'preffered networks'
    I can only pick
    Wifi or mobile network
    Or
    Wifi only!

I wish to pick mobile only

Advertisement
    :
  2. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

Hi stefandude3, welcome to Android Forums :)

Why not just turn off wi-fi if you don't want to use it?

Solves your problem and saves battery as a bonus :)
  3. stefandude3

stefandude3 New Member

Because I often have issues with my texting when I am on my home wifi network. So I still wish to be able to use my wifi but I do not want it to be affiliated with any mobile networks. I use it often and I do not want to go through the hassle of turning it off to send a reliable text message and then turning it back on to continue with my work
  4. John Bean

That's a bit odd. SMS (texting) is a basic phone function that should work so long as there's a phone signal, it shouldn't care about data connections or whether they even exist.
  5. stefandude3

stefandude3 New Member

I think it has something to do with 'wifi calling' but I am unable to find the option on my phone to dissable it
  6. John Bean

Ok, but I'm still not clear about your original question. If there was an option to use "mobile only" I can't see how that is any more convenient than turning off wi-fi - assuming you want to use it only when texting and allow wi-fi at all other times.

Either way you'd have to change some setting to make it work - and toggling wi-fi could easily be done with a screen widget. I turn off wi-fi when I leave home (to save battery) and this involves a single tap on a widget. Same when I return; I can't imagine how it could be made simpler or easier :)
  7. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

a 'me too' here.

SMS does not give two shits about whether there is a WiFi or Data signal present. I always have "the internet" (data & wifi) turned off when my screen is locked.

SMS beeps me just fine and I have messages to read and can send a reply. All without activating "the internet". It is a part of the basic '1x' type phone service. Has nothing to do with any of the "smart features" of our newer phones.

If you have txt msg problems, you have carrier issues, or a phone that is not properly configured.

We can't see your phone, so you have to use our answers to figure out what is going on.

EDIT: Automatically turning the Internet ON and OFF.

I think this might be of benefit. This is a direct copy of a post "somewhere" in this S5 forum.

I installed MacroDroid and set up a macro that senses Screen Lock.
    * MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Labeled:Ringer Vol Max
    T: Screen Off
    A: Set Volume Max
    C: None

I also changed the ringer tone to "Old Telephone" which sounds just like the old black bakelite phones of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Very distinctive and I know it is my phone.

With the macro set up, it is always at Max Volume. However, you can set the volume level to your preference. I just moved the slider to Max.

I have other macros set.

Labeled Internet Off:
    T: Screen Off
    A: Data off, disable Wifi

Labeled Internet On:
    T: Screen Unlocked
    A: Data On, enable Wifi

MacroDroid has a huge library of transition sensors, and controls. You just have to play with it. Once you do, you will come to depend on it a lot.

For instance, I am now on day 3 since mine was charged. The battery is 65% while it is displaying my MacroDroid macros.

Turning the internet off while the phone is not in use has a tremendous effect at stopping wasted battery power.

It only takes about 2 seconds for Data ON to become effective, another 3 seconds and Blue Mail downloads all of my emails. For me, that is very inconsequential delay times to have a battery that is always full of energy to use "when I need it."