• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Preferred WIFI by app control code

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but here it goes.

I made a remote starter, keyless entry, and window roll down module out of a Linksys router. It serves up a webpage that I access from my Android through WIFI connected directly to the router. I just have to be within WIFI range to operate it. It works flawlessly. No actual internet involved.

Here is what I would like to do: Create an app that accesses each webpage to control it. I am thinking webview, but I don't ever want to see the actual web page. The app just needs to open the page in the background to make the control work. The current hassle is that I have to go to my WIFI settings and select the router. Use the control and then set my WIFI back to the original connection. Is there a way to have the phone automatically connect to the router associated with this app upon app initialization and then have it return the WIFI setting to the previous state after the app is closed?

I am new to Android development. If someone could just point me in the right direction, I can do the research myself. Thanks in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones