Prefix system rolled out to phones (and tablets)

Last Updated:

1. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

We've put the prefix system into place on ALL phone forums that DID NOT have the old standard subforums in place (tips and tricks, accessories, support and troubleshooting).

Devices that have those subforums will stay as is. All new forums from now on will be given the All Things Root subforum automatically, and have the prefix set enabled on the main device forum.

It looks a little weird right now, seeings how no threads have prefixes, but as threads start to be created it will begin to look normal.

You can filter which threads prefixes you want to view at the top of the leftmost column, this will have the same effect as going into a subforum.

It will take some getting used to, but we're fairly confident the community as a whole will largely come to like it as it gets used.

We will roll this out to the tablet section as soon as it gets its makeover, which will be very soon. (DONE)

Staff: We have put mass-prefix-editing in place. Please, as you can, try to give prefixes to obvious threads. You should be able to see how to, it's pretty self explanatory with your inline-mod tools.

Hope all come to enjoy. Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. Phases

Archived Forums section done, as well.
  3. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Phases, all I get is an option to remove a prefix, not add one.

On Edit: Never mind, figured it out.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Would it be possible to have forum view defaults that are user-defined - or - could default to "General" so that users would have a similar entry to their favorite device forum as before?
  5. Phases

Errr.... user defined.. I dunno about that..

I'd prefer that over a blanketed default of "General" though.
  6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

+1

We don't want to filter things for new users without them realising.
  7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

As in the sub-forums for "Tips and Tricks," we're seeing the "Tips" prefix label being used by members seeking a "tip" for support, rather than using the "Support" prefix label.

I've edited several just in a few device forums in the past several days.

I wish "Tips" could be changed to something which would make it easier for users to understand.. such as "Tips4U" or whatever.
  8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I agree, although I'm struggling to think of something short that couldn't be misunderstood the same way as Tips is.
  9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I'm wondering if just doing away with it would be the way to go. "General" and "Support" seems to cover the better percentage of postings in non-root device areas.