Premium Navigation - free or paid for?General

Last Updated:

1. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I'm just playing around with my new DHD and I've opened the Car Panel, opened the Destination and weirdly I can use the Premium Navigation feature... without paying for one? Can someone explain to me how it works? I haven't been asked whether I want to purchase it or anything :)

Cheers in advance!

Advertisement
  2. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

You're probably using Google navigation and not the 'Premium' navigation, which is TomTom and you need to pay for it. Seems the Google navigation plays well with the included maps.

Dave

3. SithSurfer

Well, I've chosen the premium navigation option... hmm, you're saying that Google Maps are working offline too?

4. eddiewawa

eddiewawa Well-Known Member

Oooo...i actually use copilot at the moment, which maybe the unofficial one *cough* but im actually interested in purchasing one so i can get map updates and the such. how much is the full Tom Tom nav to purchase on the DHD?

@sith...is it me or sounds like your using that orange maps thing? :S either that or your a jammy bugger and got it for free? lol (or maybe its only for like 2 weeks try out...) *shrugs*

p.s. has to be the next step for HTC, to provide free sat-nav like nokia does with ovimaps, would certainly differentiate itself for the other carriers out there.

5. SithSurfer

Nah, I'm not using that Orange crap. The weird thing - it worked yesterday when I was sitting on my couch, today when driving to the office it asked me to buy the license - nevermind then :) $37 (approx.

6. eddiewawa

lol ahhh sweet dude,

7. SithSurfer

Or you can get the 1-month subscription of $5.99 or a year one for $17 - that brings the costs almost to nothing :)

8. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Didn't realise you'd chosen that option. I just tried to navigate somewhere and it worked. Only afterwards did I find it was actually Google doing the navigating and Tomtom supplied the built-in maps.

Is that for the 'premium navigation' option on the DHD? That is, the price for the TT navigation?

Dave

9. SithSurfer

Yes, that's the price for the Premium Nav, no idea whether it's provided by the TT though - haven't seen any logos or anything.

10. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

I think you must be on the Free Trial. I did the same thing, opted to use "Locations", this then said I need to upgrade and a message popped up saying "30 day trial started".

It also offers Traffic and Speed Camera's but its an extra

11. SithSurfer

Aye, it does find the postcodes without any hassle. Can't navigate to them though as it asks me to purchase though. Like I said, I'll test it over the weekend and see what's what.

12. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

Dont go into the upgrade menu. If you do the search and click navigate, it'll automatically start the 30 day free trial.

I've noticed it seems to have a collection of post codes, but not all

My postcode is CV13RX

I slowly typed it in, letting it search after each character and it listed CV13RY, but not X

13. eddiewawa

question for all the peeps about the premium version (uk) of the navigation. So it's tom tom, it's gonna cost about

14. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

On my Nokia, before it became free, I was able to transfer it.

On the other hand, if you plan on keeping the phone for more than 14 months, then the lifetime license is cheaper, even if you cant transfer it to another phone.

HTC customer services aren't of any help with it at the moment either. When I called to ask about the Postcode searching, they'd never even heard of Locations

15. eddiewawa

goodness, seriously?? lol hmmm....well i'd like to have a dedicated solution, knowing that, as soon as i pay for one google will release downloadable maps on android 3.0 lol

but cheers for the info :)

16. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

I didn't feel too cheated over it because I had it on my N95 for 18 months, transferred to a 5800, and it was still another 4-6 months before it became free. As far as I was concerned, the money I paid for the lifetime license was still less than if I'd got 2, 1 year licenses

17. tiagomenezzes

tiagomenezzes Member

The DHD seems to have to 2 types of navigation.

The 1st type, HTC calls it Turn-by-Turn Navigation, and this is basically a TomTom service where you download the maps pack into your phone and then there are premium services associated with it - such as speed cameras pack and the voice navigation (which I believe is the one you are referring to), where a voice tells you what router to take and when to turn.

There is also a way how to use this maps without having to pay for the premium service, and HTC calls that Getting Directions.
    Basically what you do is you enter your location, your destination and you choose if you want to get there by walking or driving. A router will be displayed on the screen and you have to use a Forward and Backward arrows to manually get through your route.

Turn-by-Turn Navigation

Getting Directions

Hope this info was helpfull. I'm not sure if this is 100% correct or not, but that is what I understood from reading the HTC help website.

If this is correct then that will be a great thing as the Turn-by-Turn could be used by someone who heavily relays on navigation to get to places. And the Get Directions could be used by people who sporadically need to undestand how to get to a place (as when you are on holidays and dont know how to get to the hotel).

18. eddiewawa

so the maps are free, but voice turn by turn then becomes a premium service...ahh i see...cheers for that

19. SithSurfer

Just to clear some stuff out, in terms of car-usable sat nav you've got:

Google Navigation:
    • Turn-by-Turn;
    • Voice prompts;
    • Traffic updates;
    • All features are FREE (+data charges if you don't have a data plan);
    • You need to stay connected as there's no option to download the maps just yet.

HTC Navigation / Locations:
    • 30-day trial version;
    • All maps are downloaded, hence there are no delays and your 3G/HDSPA/GSM signal is not an issue;
    • It has Voice Prompts, Speed Camera and Speed Alerts;
    • You can buy a month, year all life subscription after the trial period;
    • It's pretty damn good and I'm sticking to this one over Google's for the time being.

Hope that helps.

PS. No idea about transferability of the licenses but I assume it's somehow connected to the HTC Sense thus it just might be an option. We'll see how it goes, but then about

20. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member

I personally just use "Navigation" on my phone which is Google SatNav Beta, the "Premium Navigation" found in Car Panel is a built in Route66 (it flashes up in the bottom right hand corner after launching), this gives you a 30-day trial when you first plan a route... personally I hate it, the routing is completely irrational, and ideally I want to remove it from my phone... yet to research how easy that is.

Google's Nav is perfect, or rather it would be if it had speed camera alerts... not sure if they can be integrated via some sort of .CSV file or something?

The Premium Navigation also only does 6 digit post codes, and is sloooooooow in resolving them to a physical location due to it searching after each and every digit you type.

My view? Stick to Google's solution, or buy Tom Tom.

21. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Google Maps because the Voice is barely recognisable, and I've heard it will some times not bother reading out an instruction. Plus there is the whole issue of what to do if you hit a signal blackspot.

On the other hand, the Paid navigation, requires payment, and doesn't seem to have most postcodes (4 out of 5 of my most frequently used cant be found).
    Also, the Navigation has a life time license, but the speed camera's and traffic updates only offer a 30 day or 1 year license.

Between the two, there is a perfect SatNav, but the paid Navigation is in early days. Hopefully it'll improve by the time the 30 day trial is up.

Could anyone try the following postcodes and see if they are found?

CV1 3RX
    MK3 5EB

22. SithSurfer

Nope, both not found I'm afraid.

23. eddiewawa

i wonder if my 'hacked' co-pilot will work on 2.2...lol

24. volvo940seturbo

volvo940seturbo Well-Known Member

copilot finds both, and then gives a list of various streets for both, 6 different streets for the MK code and 15 streets for the CV code.

Copilot was about

25. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

Co-pilot seems like a nice piece of software, but it lacks speed camera's (according to the website) and the traffic updates are more expensive. With that, and the Postcode results, I'm going to have to pass