Prepaid Service for Android phones

Last Updated:

1. aguaski

aguaski Member This Topic's Starter

I have the HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon. I love my phone. My Dad also loves my phone and drools all over it when he gets a chance to play with it. He would like to get his first Android smartphone. My Mom recently asked for my help in selecting a phone that she can surprise my Dad with. The problem is my parents are on a tighter budget than I am, so they currently use prepaid phones. Mom uses a Blackberry on Boost, and Dad currently has a simple Tracphone. They can expand their budget a bit, so I am looking for a good Android phone (does not need to be in the same class as the Incredible) that is on a prepaid network. I found that Boost offers an Android phone, but it runs the 1.5 operating system. In my opinion Android did not become a legitimate player in the smartphone market until 2.1 came out, and 2.2 made Android even better. My Dad really likes my DInc because he has seen what it could do with 2.1 and most recently 2.2. I think he would be happier if we passed on 1.5 phones and waited until we could find an Android phone that could at least run 2.1. With that said, are there any prepaid carriers out there offering Android phones that run 2.1? I could not find any when I searched, but I thought I would turn to this forum for help. The good news is my Mom is looking to do this for Christmas, so I am also interested to know if there are rumors about possible 2.1 phones that may become available at a prepaid carrier in the next few months. Please share thoughts, opinions, and even rumors. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I just activated a used LG Ally (Android 2.1, Verizon) on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) for my son. I have mobile data disabled (using Tasker, but any CDMA data widget should work) and have it set to check for Wifi connectivity every so often, and connect when possible. The intent is to use the phone without mobile data at all (though I did test mobile data and it works fine). The only catch so far is that MMS doesn't work over Wifi since your data connection is not on the carrier's network and you don't have access to their MMS servers.

Page Plus does offer plans that include data, but the plan with the most data only offers 50MB.

If it's at all likely that they would calling customer service, you would probably be wise to look elsewhere though.

3. ps316

ps316 New Member

Samsung Galaxy 3 aka Samsung Apollo is a good option with Android 2.1.