1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Preparing Google Maps directions on your PC for your phone

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

I have worked out how to save driving routes or directions from Google Maps on my PC to My Maps and then showing these routes in Android Google Maps on my phone (HTC Desire running Froyo), but I haven't worked out how load those directions into Navigation so I can use them. Can anyone help?

Ian

Advertisement
    :
  2. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

So you can get them to show up on your phone, correct? Can you walk me through what you are doing?
  3. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

I use google chrome to phone. It works perfectly all you have to do is use google chrome browser then download google chrome to phone.

A little phone icon shows up in the right hand corner of your browser and any time you want to send directions to your phone from google maps just push the phone icon and in a couple seconds it shows up on your phone. Open it and your good to go.

It will also let you push links, maps, selected text and phone numbers to your phone.
  4. ifb-online

1. I create a map in My Places (using the PC and logged in to my Google account)
    2. I get directions for where I would like to go.
    3. I save the directions to My Maps using the map I created.
    4. Using my phone I open Google Maps.
    5. I open the My Maps option and I can see the route direction highlighted.
    6. This is where I get stuck!

Ian
  5. ifb-online

This seems to work in much the same way as My Places/Maps but it still doesn't solve the problem I have of actually loading the route into Navigation.

I'm beginning to think that the route has to re-calculated using the start and end points provided by My Maps and so there is no way to create a multi-destination route in the phone.

Ian
  6. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Well-Known Member

Ian

If you search the forum I'm sure I recall this being discussed some months back in a similar way and the end opinion was that it couldn't be done :(

Everyone is therefore waiting for the rumoured "offline" maps version that Google is supposed to be working on.
  7. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

After sending the map via chrome to phone all I do is push the navigate icon displayed next to the route. I do not know if it recalculates it or if it just takes whats been sent to it and puts it in navigation. Either way it is the same route every time I have tried it.

I have not tried multi-destinations for it though.
  8. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Well-Known Member

I tried the Chrome to Phone procedure described above and although the PC says I have sent the map nothing appears on my phone. Is there anything I should be doing please?
  9. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Well-Known Member

Answering my own question - have a bit more patience!!!! The second I hit the send key here the map arrived on the phone. I hit the Navigation button and it switched to the Navigation app and calculated the route. Thanks for the tips.
  10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Not currently possible. You can load custom maps via layers but Nav won't follow the custom map. Nav doesn't support waypoints.
  11. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

far too complicated.
    recoli's solution above is much simpler.

Get the Chrome to Phone app, send to phone, launch Google Maps, then select Navigation.

After downloading Chrome to Phone, that's really just 4 steps.
    1. Map it on desktop
    2. Click the Chrome to Phone button in the desktop browser.
    3. Accept on phone (auto opens Google Maps)
    4. After it creates the route, click on the Navigate button (the arrow icon)