preperations... HELP PLEASE!

Last Updated:

1. adam_hilluk

adam_hilluk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am tomorrow getting my 3rd Hero (hopeully this one will be issue free) and do not want to make the same mistakes as last time.

Somehow i managed to lose absolutely everything last time. So how can i ensure i can keep everything ro most of the stuff off this phone.

1. I have backed some stuff up to wave secure but how would i get this onto new phone?

2. I have backed up applications to the SD card using ASTRO and want to know what to do to restore them on my new phone? (Heres the sad part) Also will the games cntinue from the level i am at now or will i start over and just keep the apps?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Adam

Advertisement
  2. adam_hilluk

oh, got a screen with 3 skateboarding androids... phones died. brilliant.

3. adam_hilluk

quickly discovered all this stuff for myself as the phone wiped itself
    tips for others:

Make sure youre backed up to google.

Back contacts up to wavesecure as well

Back up apps to SD card via ASTRO

really helped me all these did,

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't think Astro will store any of your apps data, so no it won't remember your saved games.

Titanium backup can do this but requires root access.

5. adam_hilluk

new Hero's arrived. Having issues installing new apps now :( first 2 months having a Hero was absolutely brilliant, since then i've had problem after problem :(

Whenever i try to load ASTRO it says "error creating external cache" :(

I dont want a Hero anymore. Granted it makes calls and texts fine, but i could have bought any hone for that. All its features dont seem to be working for me.

Anybody else???

6. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Been shopping at the weekend with a friend who needs a new handset, and while warning them off the Hero/hTC, find myself wishing I'd stuck with Nokia; the N97&mini were both contenders (along with the iPhone, which lost on price), and I really wish I'd gone with the either. One of the big issues for me was the thought that Android was going to be kept up-to-date, it hasn't, and all the great things it could do... but many of those have been a disappointment. True, often because of crappy networks etc., but the big issues wouldn't have been with the Nokias. Live & learn.

7. adam_hilluk

I have had issues with nokias before but granted not on this sacle.

I am contemplating either buyin myself out of contract with orange because for same price plan i ould have iphone 4
    OR
    Foolishly considering i hated my HTC Touch Diamond before and have had issues with Hero (though much better) i may want to get a Desire. Everyone says its loads better than Hero and despite issues, theres just something i love about HTC :confused:

8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I've never used Astro, but one thing I advise with a new device is always reformat the memory card. If you've got wi-fi access I also wouldn't bother trying to restore apps from backup; reinstalling them from the Market will avoid any possible errors. Most apps/games store user data on the memory card, so once reinstalled they should recognise previous settings, save points etc.

Huh? The N97 was a complete dog from the get-go. Users were reporting "low memory" errors within hours use, and the software was a bug-fest (apps either not working at all or working inconsistently). The Mini is improved simply because Nokia had to!

9. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Well I guess until I've used it it's an unfair comparison, but past experience with Nokia has been good. Am looking forward to trying the N8 when it comes out as possibly my next handset, I'm sure they'll be issues with it too... it seems that with all the advances in phones few now 'just work'.

10. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

No argument from me on that - my N95 was an absolute joy (although I didn't have one of the initial release versions that was plagued with firmware issues).

@adam_hilluk: any progress?

11. adam_hilluk

I've installed some apps but the phones still not as it should be based on previous ones i've had.

I'm awaiting a call back from Orange later, i'm still pushing for the Desire as this will be the 4th Hero i've had

12. Curlycherry

Curlycherry Member

Sorry, hit the wrong button, post deleted and moved.