Prepping for Froyo 2.2

Last Updated:

1. Rossforney

Rossforney Member This Topic's Starter

K so I did my best to search threw and didn't find any similar posts but please redirect me if there are already answers to this question.

I am a new Nexus One owner who was going to hold off on buying the phone untill Froyo was released. Instead I was informed by some nice folks in this forum about OTA updates. Now I am, like all the other stock non root Nexus owners, patiently awaiting the push.

I have been bookmarking sites to test out the flash when it comes as well as continuing to download and test new apps every day.

My question, since I've never had an OTA, is what will it look like when it gets here? When I turned the nexus on the first time I got it I had the notification ping about 2.1update1 and installed it but the phone was still stock. Since I've loaded it up with apps and bookmarks and sms threads and all, will I have to backup and recover this data? Will it do this automatically? Will it require a wipe or factory reset? Or am I asking questions that nobody will know until it actually gets here?

Any info on the subject would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

When I updated, everything stood in place. I had no issues with anything being lost. 2.2 is not a big a jump as you think

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

3. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

well...if you updated to 2.1update1, you already have experience with OTA updates ;)
    2.2 doesn't require any wipe or factory reset. The only thing that could be recommended is a fast data connection (WiFi preferably, but 3G could do as well)

Rossforney likes this.
  4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

So will you get a message on your phone that it's installing the 2.2?

5. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

I've never gotten an OTA (too impatient), but I assume it will give you a notification that one is available before it even downloads it, that way you can switch to wifi, back up data if necessary, etc. Then you probably just click on it and let it do its thing, like installing an app.

6. Rossforney

Rossforney Member This Topic's Starter

bitxboi: That was another question I had. Before I got Google Voice I was using Tmobile's Visual Voicemail and it would not find a voicemail if I was connected to WIFI. Research told me this was because WIFI connected you to the internet and 3G connected you to Tmobile's signal and that the only way it would work properly was when the 3G was on and NOT the WIFI. I know OTA's are from Google and voicemails are from Tmobile but I don't quite understand how the data moves.
    Will the OTA come if the WIFI is on or does it come over the 3G signal? Does the WIFI override the 3G signal or do they both function simultaneous since you CAN be connected to WIFI and still make calls and texts?

7. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

With Kernel Updates and other stuff, I was shocked how easy and effortless it was to update to 2.2. No wipe, no loss of data, nothing.

There is are warnings though that you will want to keep in mind about the update.

1. Uninstall any/all Home replacement apps and custom launchers.
    --Even though some will work fine with 2.2, best to leave those out until after update completes.

2. The calendar APK has changed so calendar widgets will not work unless updated.
    --I just removed all my widgets before I applied the update to be safe.

3. Make sure your seatbelt is on and fastened, because the speed may take you out of your seat. :D

A LOT of apps have already been updated for 2.2, some are taking a little longer, just be patient and they will come. :D

Hope this helps with keeping your update safe and sound. :D

8. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

yes, more or less like that.
    Mine actually installed 2.1update1 overnight while I was sleeping (I always have my phone connected to WiFi when I'm home). Totally transparent process for me! :)