Preserving text messages when I ssitch from Palm Pre to EVO

Last Updated:

1. campbell53

campbell53 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm involved in a legal issue that requires I preserve some text messages that are currently on my Palm Pre. I am picking up a new EVO on the 4th. How can I preserve or move these texts? Thank you in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. talz13

talz13 Well-Known Member

Keep the Pre?

3. robg2008

robg2008 Well-Known Member

i could be wrong...

but i believe the only way for you to keep the text messages is for you to keep the phone..

4. campbell53

campbell53 Member This Topic's Starter

Can't keep this Pre. I am ready to strangle the thing. There must be something I can do...

5. travisr528

travisr528 Well-Known Member

Does Pre or Palm (HP) have app like we do for windows mobile? It's called microsoft my phone and it stores all you text messages among other things online to send or print.

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

If it's for a legal battle, I would suck it up and keep it. Unless the phone itself is physically harming you, just keep the damn thing. Plus, if you do transfer text messages to another phone, I'm sure they won't hold up in court, as i could transfer txt's from any phone to mine and make it look like I sent them. So I would keep the original phone you sent the messages from.

Or call sprint and see if they can give you a printout of the messages. You may need to have your lawyer call to get them.

7. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Palm phones work with Blackberry Desktop Manager. I think you should be able to download it and save your text messages to the computer. I'm not sure if you'd be able to transfer them to a new phone though, you may just need to keep them on the PC.

Also, you can keep the Pre after you disconnect it. Surely it can be that infuriating that you'll strangle it when you stop using it.

8. esone1ll

esone1ll Well-Known Member

You can keep the phone in a box, but use the EVO for your day-to-day needs. Just switch service and put the Pre in Airplane Mode. The texts won't go anywhere.

9. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

You can keep the Pre, just to preserve the text messages. Once your phone number is transfered to your EVO, just hold onto the Pre until your legal issues are done and resolved. You won't be using it as your phone anymore, but changing your phone number to a new phone won't erase the data that already exists on the Pre. Only way for that to go away is if you delete or hard reset the Pre anyway.

10. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member

What he said.

I don't see the problem? It's evidence. Box it away and keep it safe for when needed. It doesn't need to have cell service to be useful.

11. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Most phones have a way to export to an XML file (and import back into Android even). Try a Google search on "SMS export pre"

12. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Ever heard of SQL? Want to learn some?

You'll first need to get the SQLite Manager add-on for Firefox.

Then I don't recall which files it is, but once you find them, you can use the Firefox interface to extract them into CSV format.

That's more than enough to get you started in the right direction.

13. ktigre

ktigre New Member

Can you take screenshots directly on the phone of the screens? I don't know the particular phone, but I know you can do that on other phones.

14. flip603

flip603 Well-Known Member

precentral forums would probably be more help

15. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

the texts will be saved on the phone permanently so when you get the EVO you'll be fine, just tuck the Pre somewhere safe and when you go to court whip it out and load the text's normaly, you just won't have service so you can't make calls and connect and things

16. theTrashcanMan

theTrashcanMan Well-Known Member

Can't a lawyer subpoena the records from Sprint? I know that a normal person usually doesn't have access to them but I thought that under subpoena they have to hand over the records. I would talk to my lawyer, or whomever is on your side...defense or prosecutor and see what they say you should do. chances are they have dealt with it before.